What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 2019

OldPanther

Coach
Pearce and Cleary together would be an absolute disaster. You can't have both halves "making their tackles and trying hard"

You would have to bring Keary in next year.

I would. Need a half that can blow the game open and Pearce/Cleary are not x factor halves.

BranVan3000

Coach
Pearce and Cleary together would be an absolute disaster. You can't have both halves "making their tackles and trying hard"

You would have to bring Keary in next year.
We can and will

For 3 years until Freddy is sacked and Barrett comes in and shakes up the halves by choosing the son of a close personal friend

Yosh

Coach
From the posts in this thread, one would assume the game on Wednesday already finished with QLD winning the series and Pearce letting in 4 tries, knocking the ball on 8 times, getting sin binned twice and kicking the ball out on the full 19 times.

I wouldn't be confident if it was Pearce in the 7 playing against four future immortals in Slater, Smith, Thurston and Cronk. I wouldn't back anyone in the 7 for NSW in that case.

Against the current QLD side, I have no problem with Pearce in the side. We are better all across the park. Let's see Pearce get his redemption.

TheFrog

Coach
From the posts in this thread, one would assume the game on Wednesday already finished with QLD winning the series and Pearce letting in 4 tries, knocking the ball on 8 times, getting sin binned twice and kicking the ball out on the full 19 times.

I wouldn't be confident if it was Pearce in the 7 playing against four future immortals in Slater, Smith, Thurston and Cronk. I wouldn't back anyone in the 7 for NSW in that case.

Against the current QLD side, I have no problem with Pearce in the side. We are better all across the park. Let's see Pearce get his redemption.
He won't get sin binned mate. And it takes more than one game to get redemption for 18. And one other thing. Immortals are supposed to be the best of their era. So it'll be Smith and that's it.

Yosh

Coach
He won't get sin binned mate. And it takes more than one game to get redemption for 18. And one other thing. Immortals are supposed to be the best of their era. So it'll be Smith and that's it.

You're saying not even Thurston will be an immortal?

I think if Pearce plays well and NSW win, it'll be a huge redemption story in the media. Just as he was made the sole scapegoat for those 18 losses.

TheFrog

Coach
You're saying not even Thurston will be an immortal?

I think if Pearce plays well and NSW win, it'll be a huge redemption story in the media. Just as he was made the sole scapegoat for those 18 losses.
In the media of course. Hope it doesn't go to his head and ruin your season. And I'm not much of a fan of the immortals, but it seems to me they either pick just Smith, or they have to pick the four of them, which would go against the stated guidelines of the best of the era. The more they have the more it's diluted. This is a question for 15 years from now anyway.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
In the media of course. Hope it doesn't go to his head and ruin your season.

To be honest I used to be on the Pearce hate wagon when he was a Rooster but then again I hated every Rooster.

I think he is a different and probably a much better player than he used to be. I think he will play even better if he is celebrated as a redemption.

Woosh

Head Moderator
It is perfectly set up for Pearce to finally win an origin series.
If it was game 1 of the series I would have big doubts but he only needs to get himself up for one game at ANZ.
A ground that QLD has an atrocious record on.
It’s a redemption story that everyone in the game will be hoping for even the refs.
It’s a bit like when the Cowboys and Sharks finally won their first premiership.
Both Hodges and Smith seemed okay for them to win it.
Surely we can’t lose it from here.

Hutty1986

Immortal
It is perfectly set up for Pearce to finally win an origin series.
If it was game 1 of the series I would have big doubts but he only needs to get himself up for one game at ANZ.
A ground that QLD has an atrocious record on.
It’s a redemption story that everyone in the game will be hoping for even the refs.
It’s a bit like when the Cowboys and Sharks finally won their first premiership.
Both Hodges and Smith seemed okay for them to win it.
Surely we can’t lose it from here.
Qld don't have a bad record down in Sydney at all. They won two deciders there in 08 and 13, as well as what was always the series clincher in 2017.

kit66

Bench
The headlines today have Pearce as a Hero in waiting or setting him up for a fairy tale redemption. I doubt that will be the case.
I think bringing him back is a big mistake. Maloney doesn't need the distraction, Pearce will just get in the way. Qld will see him as the weak spot and go after him.

TheFrog

Coach
The headlines today have Pearce as a Hero in waiting or setting him up for a fairy tale redemption. I doubt that will be the case.
Far, far too much media in his face over the past few days. Exactly what he doesn't need. I'm not confident he can overcome the pressure.