What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks should take games to Adelaide

Aside from the Sharks bit - I'm in Adelaide most weekends these days...

I'm surprised that for a "non-RL" state with no team at how much I see people getting around in NRL gear there. And I usually happily strike up a chat with them to find out more..

• Main teams I see getting around are Broncos, Roosters and the Storm.
  • Of the other teams Dragons and Penrith are about a lot also. And for the 2nd SOO I saw loads of maroons jerseys getting around town (no NSW though!).
  • Of these folk - almost all are living in Adelaide (as opposed to tourists in town).
  • A lot have relocated for work and/or cost of living (mostly in the defence sector for BAE, govt etc). . But a lot are also born and bred there who follow the game.

Sometimes I've worn a dragons jacket around town and had the same in reverse, people coming up to me for a chat - usually to joke at how sh!t we are this year!

By no means am I suggesting there's the makings of reviving the Rams or anything like that - but there's more support for RL there than most people would think.

I can't for the life of me see how NRL in Adelaide (and Perth ) couldn't work when cricket, AFL, soccer, netball, basketball, swimming, athletics, baseball all can.

Travitoh

First Grade
When Cronulla came here to play games, the games were poorly promoted and had i not been playing at the time, i probably wouldn't have known about it.

If Adelaide got a new team i would doubt they played out of Adelaide Oval. We'd possibly get a new 20-25k seat stadium purpose built for Adelaide United and RL. Or Hindmarsh would get a much needed facelift and better access by transport.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Always amazes me that the NRL and its clubs think it can sell its product with little marketing or effort and by making it available once a year to the customers.

carcharias

Immortal
When Adelaide had a team
First game 27k
Last game 7k
5k being the lowest

They didn’t crack 10k in the last 8 games.
If it weren’t for the world club Challenge they would’ve barely cracked 10 k their entire existence.
That was a while ago but they got the flick because it was clear nobody was really interested.

The entire 1998 as an NRL team the best crowd was 11k
Every other game was under 10k

greenBV4

Bench
  • Of the other teams Dragons and Penrith are about a lot also. And for the 2nd SOO I saw loads of maroons jerseys getting around town (no NSW though!).
At the Roosters Storm game the other week besides those 2 I mostly saw Souths supporters, around the stadium beforehand, a few walking round the day before, and a fair few in the 2 sections I sat in (moved spots at half time)

greenBV4

Bench
When Adelaide had a team
First game 27k
Last game 7k
5k being the lowest

If it weren’t for the world club Challenge they would’ve barely cracked 10 k their entire existence.
That was a while ago but they got the flick because it was clear nobody was really interested.
Sounds like Manly at Brookvale..
What were the TV ratings like? (genuine question)

Quicksilver

Bench
Always amazes me that the NRL and its clubs think it can sell its product with little marketing or effort and by making it available once a year to the customers.

Because you’re speaking to people who aren’t interested and aren’t even sure what you’re selling?

Because the selling points you’d use on an educated audience go over the uneducated audience’s head?

Because it’s expensive?

Because you’re probably trying to sell tickets at a discounted price anyway?

Because it doesn’t make financial sense?

Because as soon as it rains you’ve done your ass?

Because you can use resources more effectively elsewhere?

Perth Red

Post Whore
When Adelaide had a team
First game 27k
Last game 7k
5k being the lowest

The entire 1998 as an NRL team the best crowd was 11k
Every other game was under 10k

Still better than Souths, Gold Coast and Wests and not far off 2-3 other clubs that year. 1998 was hardly a boom time for attendances for most clubs! The season avg was less than 11k.

They only had two of the lowest top 20 crowds that year and not as low as the 4k that turned up for Cronulla v Penrith!

They showed they had something that could have been built on, sadly we had a deconstructionist mind set in 97 & 98 that has taken us 25 years plus to recover from.

At the Roosters Storm game the other week besides those 2 I mostly saw Souths supporters, around the stadium beforehand, a few walking round the day before, and a fair few in the 2 sections I sat in (moved spots at half time)

The one weekend in ages I wasn’t in town. I would have gone otherwise..

What was the atmosphere like?

Looking forward to Origin next year. Adelaide is definitely a city which lets you be an adult and enjoy yourself on the town... unlike the microscope under which the Sydney nightlife scene exists..

STORM.99/07

Bench
Aside from the Sharks bit - I'm in Adelaide most weekends these days...

I'm surprised that for a "non-RL" state with no team at how much I see people getting around in NRL gear there. And I usually happily strike up a chat with them to find out more..

• Of these folk - almost all are living in Adelaide (as opposed to tourists in town).
  • A lot have relocated for work and/or cost of living (mostly in the defence sector for BAE, govt etc). . But a lot are also born and bred there who follow the game.

Sometimes I've worn a dragons jacket around town and had the same in reverse, people coming up to me for a chat - usually to joke at how sh!t we are this year!
There is alot of interest in Rugby league here in Sadelaide. a few years ago there was hardly any mention of RL on TV but not now. I think the chooks could have promoted the game better when they played here . I took about 5 non RL people and they loved it.(Storm supporters now)
By no means am I suggesting there's the makings of reviving the Rams or anything like that - but there's more support for RL there than most people would think.

People actually live there, very sad really.
5-Facts-Know-About-Network-Ten-Dramality-Show-Shire.jpg

Valheru

Coach
I can't for the life of me see how NRL in Adelaide (and Perth ) couldn't work when cricket, AFL, soccer, netball, basketball, swimming, athletics, baseball all can.

People in Adelaide legitimately don't know that there are 2 'rugby' codes.

There is a tonne of work to do there before a NRL team would be viable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
People in Adelaide legitimately don't know that there are 2 'rugby' codes.

There is a tonne of work to do there before a NRL team would be viable.

Who cares as Long as they get behind the Adelaide “rugby” team.