What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Middle East - Which Confederation ?

siv

First Grade
A question will need to addressed soon

Which confederation best serves the interest of ME rugby league ?

Europe - due to their proximity to Turkey, Russia, Georgia and Greece

Africa - I dont think it works well

Asia - like soccer as the standard without heritafe players is not far off the countries of Japan Phillipines Thailand and Hong Kong

I am thinking Asia as it aligns to how other sports like Soccer are setup and would improve the development of a Asia Cup

yakstorm

First Grade
Palestine is still an Observer Member of the RLEF, and on their Facebook page there appears still to be some sort of activity:

https://www.facebook.com/254349048760014/videos/423058078288959/
https://www.facebook.com/254349048760014/photos/a.256125375249048/388217215373196/
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=356266111901640&id=254349048760014

In terms of the best Confederation for the Middle East nations to be affiliated with, well until leading into the 2017 RLWC, Lebanon was part of Europe, and requested to be grouped with Africa. Honestly, makes complete sense, in MEA, Lebanon, with their abundance of heritage players, are far more likely to qualify for World Cups against the likes of South Africa, were against the European teams they failed twice.

Being grouped with Asia-Pacific, would be a bit like being grouped in Europe, their chances of qualifying just decrease and they are more likely to face Cook Islands for a World Cup spot who can name a more than competitive team.

Lebanon's biggest threat in the MEA Confederation will possibly be Nigeria in coming years.

adamkungl

Immortal
Short term MEA works. Long (probably quite long) time down the track, I'd like to see qualification split continentally, ie a guaranteed Asia team. So then they'd be grouped in Asia

italoromano68

Juniors
A question will need to addressed soon

Which confederation best serves the interest of ME rugby league ?

Europe - due to their proximity to Turkey, Russia, Georgia and Greece

Africa - I dont think it works well

Asia - like soccer as the standard without heritafe players is not far off the countries of Japan Phillipines Thailand and Hong Kong

I am thinking Asia as it aligns to how other sports like Soccer are setup and would improve the development of a Asia Cup

I think that Americas and MENA should form new confederations

siv

First Grade
I think that Americas and MENA should form new confederations

Agree that North, South and Central America is now big enough to be its own Confederation

I also think Africa is better served being its own Confederation as they are growing together in their own way

ME to me should not be grouped with Oceania countries as another generation and the immigrants from the old Lebanon conflicts via the grand parent rule will drop off significantly. Cutting the current crop brings their future issue to light sooner