What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Vee

First Grade
Can anyone advise if Hindmarsh Stadium is up to nrl standard? How is it positioned re public transport, the cbd etc?

The Marshall

Juniors
Can anyone advise if Hindmarsh Stadium is up to nrl standard? How is it positioned re public transport, the cbd etc?
I don’t think the pitch is big enough for a NRL field. I remember reading years ago that it’s the only purpose built soccer stadium in Australia.

Edit- Scrap all that according to their website https://www.coopersstadium.com.au/ it can accommodate league although it would be Olympic park style in goals I’d say.

Its now Coopers stadium and holds about 16,000 people I think. I fly over it all the time when I get to Adelaide but not yet been there. From above it looks like this, pic below.

Re access, Adelaide is easy to get around and although rail network is quite small, its only a 5 min walk from the nearest station, and not far from the CBD. It's also near bars, cafes etc which is great for pre/post game activities..

I'd suggest its definitely up to NRL standard for games if held there, although unsure if the dimensions would be big enough to hold an NRL Field with safe enough space between in-goal and the fence from the looks of things.

CoopersStadiumWeb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Vee

Panfas

Juniors
Hindmarsh Stadium has hosted 6 NRL games:

03/07/1998 - Adelaide 52 Balmain 0, crowd 7,351
26/07/1998 - Adelaide 22 Warriors 20, crowd 7,445
07/08/1998 - Adelaide 10 Manly 32, crowd 7,459
15/08/1998 - Adelaide 0 Norths 36, crowd 7,017
15/04/2006 - Penrith 18 Storm 40, crowd 7,017
19/04/2009 - Cronulla 10 Cowboys 34, crowd 8,547

Crippler

Juniors
Aami park when full looks brilliant.

Same capacity as Bankwest but think the spread of seats is much better.

More seats on sidelines and corporate on both sides. Sucks how corporates take up all of west side and Bankwest.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Hmm, that’s interesting. It’s certainly not doubled in size so they must’ve used sections from each one.

You’d need four to create a screen double the size - just sticking two together would just double the height of width, neither of which is particularly useful.
Large LED arrays like that are modular though so they would’ve used the components from both to create a screen with twice the area which would appear somewhat larger but nowhere near twice the size.

Rooster8

Juniors
I've been reading Cox Architectures notes regarding their design for the new NQ stadium, and they added that the design allows for the expansion from the 25,000 capacity to 30,000 if needed over the years. I'm guessing they'd just replicate the opposing grandstand for the big screen end, and make the stadium unified. But, why wouldn't they just implement that from the start? I guess they wanted to make the unique roof and city end design stand out more, but I think they should of just unified the complete stadium. NQ have the crowds for 30,000.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I've been reading Cox Architectures notes regarding their design for the new NQ stadium, and they added that the design allows for the expansion from the 25,000 capacity to 30,000 if needed over the years. I'm guessing they'd just replicate the opposing grandstand for the big screen end, and make the stadium unified. But, why wouldn't they just implement that from the start? I guess they wanted to make the unique roof and city end design stand out more, but I think they should of just unified the complete stadium. NQ have the crowds for 30,000.

One advantage of a U shaped stadium is that it’s very easy to configure for concert mode, as you have free access to put in a stage at the open end.

Perth Red

Post Whore

No they dont. It was designed for expansion should Qland win an Olympic bid, so never in Reality. It’s a good size for cowboys who avg 15k-16k most seasons.

Timbo

Staff member
They used panels to increase the size of both SCG scoreboards from the two massive Allianz ones.

For the life of me I don’t know how the NSW government didn’t send at least part of one to Newcastle. One of its two screens is the old Parra Stadium screen, and the other is the size and quality of an LCD TV bought from Kmart in the early 2000s.

Latest posts