What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Kalyn Ponga surpass Billy Slater as the greatest fullback ever?

Will Kalyn Ponga surpass Billy Slater as the greatest fullback ever?

• Total voters

Tommy Smith

Referee
Sorry Tommy but you obviously didn't watch Ponga play five eight for the Knights earlier this year. He was terrible in the multiple games he played there. He didn't start showing any real form until he went back to fullback. No way in the wild world he will be playing five eight for Qld anytime soon - not unless Qld want to lose.
It's an interesting conundrum for Qld because I think Munster is a much scarier proposition at fb for Origin.

He's big and strong and terrified NSW with the extra space he had from fullback.

Maybe Plonga will become a super sub for Qld and Australia until his superiors in Ted and Munster retire.

And even then the utility spot might be reserved now for the one and only Simple Jack.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Well going forward I think Qld would be mad not to go with:

1. Munster
6. Ponga
7. DCE

I don't believe Ponga has the size, kick returns or running game from inside his own territory to ever be as good as Teddy at Origin level.

Even Slater never reached Lord Ted's legendary heights of the last two series consistently in Origin.

At Origin level there's Lord Ted and then there's the other blokes.

Better yet Tommy we all know Ponga is massively overrated so he should be left right out of the Maroons squad and go back and play at club level, which is about the only level he's really any good at.

Corey Norman is a much better prospect at 5/8 for the Maroons. Keep things in perspective, the Maroons only lost by 6 in the decider so they don't need to overhaul their roster and they're famous for their pick-n-stick mentality. Loyalty is the key. Go Norman.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Better yet Tommy we all know Ponga is massively overrated so he should be left right out of the Maroons squad and go back and play at club level, which is about the only level he's really any good at.

Corey Norman is a much better prospect at 5/8 for the Maroons. Keep things in perspective, the Maroons only lost by 6 in the decider so they don't need to overhaul their roster and they're famous for their pick-n-stick mentality. Loyalty is the key. Go Norman.
I was gonna say that Ponga might find himself in NSW Cup soon but didn't wanna sound like I was overreacting.

He is however lucky that his surname isn't Mitchell after his peahearted performance in Game II. Latrell was only just spared the guillotine for a similar effort in game I.

All trolling aside, Ponga is of course an amazing player. Easily top 10 in the world already and he'll only get better.

He is a very different player to Teddy; though I maintain that Teddy's size and style suits Origin better at fullback.

But Ponga will no doubt have plenty of great Origin moments. And at club level he can be just as dominant as Teddy in the long run I'm sure.

Lambretta

First Grade
Has anyone concluded if Ponga is a better fullback than the great Bwaiff Anasta?

That'd be some achievement

Kalyn Ponga is nowhere near as good as James Tedesco, who is the second best full back of all time after Billy Slater. So why are some people so foolish as to compare Ponga with Slater?

mozza91

Coach
Kalyn Ponga is nowhere near as good as James Tedesco, who is the second best full back of all time after Billy Slater. So why are some people so foolish as to compare Ponga with Slater?
Because Tedesco only plays 3 games a year?

Spends the rest of the year running around with a team that nobody gives a shit about.

betcats

Referee
Because Tedesco only plays 3 games a year?

Spends the rest of the year running around with a team that nobody gives a shit about.

Ponga is a dirty two header who wants to play for the all blacks.

Teddy is so good he has Penrith fans defending roosters players, he transcends club hate.

Last edited:

mozza91

Coach
Ponga is a dirty two header who wants to play for the all blacks.

Teddy is so good he has Penrith fans defending roosters players, he transcends club hate.
He’s more than welcome to in 10 years when he’s won a couple of comps with the Knights.

He’s more than welcome to in 10 years when he’s won a couple of comps with the Knights.

I don't know when the Knights think that they will win a comp because the Roosters have this year's and next year's Grand Finals signed and sealed. The NRL have probably already inscribed the trophy. Mitchell Pearce will have retired by the time the Roosters stop winning Grand Finals.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Is Caitlyn Ponga threatening to become an overrated primadona?

His interview regarding the coaching situation last week was horrid.

And on the field Mr Strawberry Milkshake is starting to look like an Anthony Milford clone to me.

1.5m per year? Enjoy missing the finals every year of that deal if you give it to him, Newcastle.

That'd mean RTS, Turbo and Teddy are all worth 2.5m.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
Is Caitlyn Ponga threatening to become an overrated primadona?

His interview regarding the coaching situation last week was horrid.

And on the field Mr Strawberry Milkshake is starting to look like an Anthony Milford clone to me.

1.5m per year? Enjoy missing the finals every year of that deal if you give it to him, Newcastle.

That'd mean RTS, Turno and Teddy are all worth 2.5m.

Believe it or not on triple m Facebook there was this bias qld idiot saying Ponga had more talent in his little finger then Turbo, Tedesco and RTS combined

Delusional

t-ba

Post Whore
Insanely talented, and it is probably just media spin, but this week he's coming across as Wobbie in terms of wrecking without the effort on the field.