What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colombia Set to Host 2019 Copa Sudamericana Rugby League

sportas

Juniors
Is this rugby league or Union? Once again, if its union, the clear advantage that code has in schools and top end of town "friends" has got the jump on rugby league again! Looks like the subservient role for rugby league is assumed again!?
Its rugby union and no its not friends in high places it is just hard work and not giving up on concepts

sportas

Juniors
Union? The tournament Colombia is hosting is League....
Yes I know, he was asking about the new South american pro league that starts next year with teams from from Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Uruguay.

There's a lot of movement from both codes in area.

Stallion

First Grade
Its rugby union and no its not friends in high places it is just hard work and not giving up on concepts

Dissagree. The contacts and establishment support is in place for union.Just ask rugby league people that have been endlessly knocked back by governments for development funding requests. So don't put your lies and deceit in this platform. It's quite clear what's been going on and union dudes are great at concealing/deflecting it!

Last edited:

sportas

Juniors
Dissagree. The contacts and establishment support is in place for union.Just ask rugby league people that have been endlessly knocked back by governments for development funding requests. So don't put your lies and deceit in this plat form. It's quite clear what's been going on and you union dudes are great at concealing/deflecting it!
And you are amazing at your conspiracy theories and delusional ideas. A lot of hard work and dedication has what got this league to this stage. Same with MLR. No excuses or conspiracies just hard work. It applies to both codes in countries with little to no money for the codes.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
And you are amazing at your conspiracy theories and delusional ideas. A lot of hard work and dedication has what got this league to this stage. Same with MLR. No excuses or conspiracies just hard work.

You think blatant non funding of one sport (rugby league)over another (rugby union)on a consistent worldwide basis is not odd or unfair? Havent even touched on schooling access! We differ !

Stallion

First Grade
Ignored Member doesn't know a thing about either code in South America or the people involved, I have zero doubt.

Lol. Willing to understand the setup. But have seen numerous scenarios elsewhere that show the difficulties faced by rugby league. So it's a fair comment
And wouldn't term it conspiracy theory! More like REALITY!

Stallion

First Grade
Wish both codes all the best. Plenty of room for both

Glad you do. I played both codes in my youth . As time went on I started to see some inequities and unfairness to the favour of union. So this is where I'm at. Understand that people can go from code to code and follow both, which used to be the case for me. But when I see scenarios and books/articles informing of what happened to rugby league in France and South Africa(& other countries) and even New Zealand, my sense of sportsmanship and fairness overrides other thoughts.

adamkungl

Immortal
This was announced as cancelled today, mostly due to financial pressures on the nations involved.
It will go ahead in 2020.
Source: Colombia's Facebook.

Seemingly will go to bi-annual in line with other regional tournaments.
There is a plan for Chile to play Brazil either this year or next year to qualify for the 2020 Americas Cup top tier comp with USA, Canada, and Jamaica.

Speculation - the pieces are all there but this is Rugby League and never is anything straightforward:
I think from 2022 maybe, when more nations are eligible, we will see the Americas format resembling something close to the Oceania and Euros, with multiple tiers, promotion and relegation between, played every 2 years.
Americas Cup (A) - Jamaica, USA, Canada, Chile
Americas Cup (B) - Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, ...
Below the RLIF tournaments could probably expect another regional tournament for nations who are not at the Affiliate Member level yet (could be Mexico, Peru, El Salvador, Uruguay, etc. Hard to judge who will be where by 2022)

yakstorm

First Grade
It wouldn't surprise me if that is the plan for the Americas Cup and part of the reason it is now getting funding (although limited) from the RLIF.

As you mentioned both the European and Oceania Cups already have similar formats, whilst when the MEA Cup was announced by the RLEF to the member nations, the plan was to have an A, B and C Championship as well.

On the Copa Sudamericana, it's a shame that finances have prevented the tournament going ahead this year. My hope is that it can come back next year, and arguably we can have both an expanded Americas Cup and the Copa Sudamericana as regular parts of the International Calendar.

Of course finances will have a large impact, and today's news just shows how poor of a sport we are when it comes to the international game when arguably it I'm sure it would take sub $100K to make the event happen.

latingringo101

Juniors
The Latin America's Cup has been running every year since 2016 so it was eating away at a lot of team's finances. To cancel this year is disappointing however it isn't the worst outcome, a bi annual tournament every two years to allow teams to recover and have a year to get ready for the year after.

deluded pom?

Coach
The Latin America's Cup has been running every year since 2016 so it was eating away at a lot of team's finances. To cancel this year is disappointing however it isn't the worst outcome, a bi annual tournament every two years to allow teams to recover and have a year to get ready for the year after.
It could work well if it’s dovetailed with the Americas Championship.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Of course finances will have a large impact, and today's news just shows how poor of a sport we are when it comes to the international game when arguably it I'm sure it would take sub $100K to make the event happen.

Nail hammer head.

It's a shame we have people like Clive Palmer, Marwan Koukash and Russel Crowe who tend to throw bucket loads of money into a bit of an abyss when they could get much more bang for buck chipping in for this sort of thing - but obviously much less exposure for their egos.

We need a rugby league cabal with a bit of capital and a bit of acumen that can see that funding these events could pay off big time down the track.

Latest posts