What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steven Masters to Bunnies?

Dragsters

First Grade
Of course.. Hindsight is 20/20 and it works for both missed opportunities and dodged bullets..

But the problem is on here it’s a case of the boy who cried wolf..

Nearly every lost junior is heralded as being the next big thing, with the associated whining when they leave..

But more often than not they turn out not to be..

I reckon the issue under the current regime is that these promising juniors just aren't tested and the opportunities that arise are given to proven average journeyman ala Maranta instead...

RufusRex

Post Whore
i guess the feeling is that letting go blokes without seeing if there is something there when obvious duds are trotted out is what makes it hard to take.

Losing Marsters when Maranta played
Losing Timm when Allgood/Latimore/Kaufusi played

Got no issue with moving blokes along when they have had a shot and proved to be meh ... Rein, Aitken, Dufty types but all too long these blokes are persisted with when obvious that they will never be more than meh.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Equation is quite simple really.

Potential v Plodder

If McGregor plays Timm there would be no room for Latimore in 1st Grade.

Also, Head would want to keep Timm in CC, after all, they have a realistic chance of a premiership.

getsmarty

Immortal
Smartly
150% correct McGregor should be called mcroadblock.

Yep...I have heard we will be losing more.....Don't understand his love for aitken....

Thing is, McGregor cannot get the best out of the young guys....I stated this 6 - 12 months ago....

If and when McGregor finally goes, there will be many a lost opportunity in regards to the younger guys we had coming through....whoever is the next "Old Boy" coach will be left with a monumental cleanup....

My prediction , a squad full of aging journeymen....The writing has been on the wall for 3 to 4 years...

This current Board, have well and truly created this entire scenario....

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Yep...I have heard we will be losing more.....Don't understand his love for aitken....

Thing is, McGregor cannot get the best out of the young guys....I stated this 6 - 12 months ago....

If and when McGregor finally goes, there will be many a lost opportunity in regards to the younger guys we had coming through....whoever is the next "Old Boy" coach will be left will a monumental cleanup....

My prediction , a squad full of aging journeymen....The writing has been on the wall for 3 to 4 years...

This current Board, have well and truly created this entire scenario....

SGI when signing young players like Schiller likes to proclaim that they are a ""development club". What they don't say is that, under the current regime, they have become largely a development club for other clubs- Marsters is simply the latest example.

Mary seems to live by the biblical quote- Many are called (into our junior and CCsquads) but few are chosen (in our NRL squad).

If SGI was a publicly funded organisation, there would be justifiable calls for a Royal Commission into its mismanagement.

Gareth67

First Grade
Gawd can it get any worse ? This fool has / is singlehandedly destroying our future , our 1sts are shot ducks whilst he is at the helm , but to then rip the heart out of the Dragon juniors is criminal , something has to be done to stop this clown - geeze this makes me so angry !

Old Timer

Coach
Of course.. Hindsight is 20/20 and it works for both missed opportunities and dodged bullets..

But the problem is on here it’s a case of the boy who cried wolf..

Nearly every lost junior is heralded as being the next big thing, with the associated whining when they leave..

But more often than not they turn out not to be..
I think you sometimes misunderstand what the whining is about.
For some people it is not that "they will be" the next big thing but more "maybe they are" the next big thing but we didn't bother to find out whilst we offered up spots to never was's and has beens.
Investing time and not making a determination by allowing them some game time in NRL is the point that disappoints people the most.
We all wanted some time invested in Aitken and the club did so but the coaching staff and recruitment now refuses to face the obvious but decide not to look at Masters or Herbert so people rightly get pissed off.
Maybe Masters ,Herbert, Garrick all end up worse but we didn't bother to find out for ourselves and if they do turn out NRL standard who is to blame for letting them go and persisting with Aitken & Lafai and securing Maranta and then letting him play 1st grade?

Old Timer

Coach
But McFookNuckle rolls so nicely off the tongue .. I do like McRoadBlock though.
Funny when I came up with the name Mc Fookknuckle I got away with it for a couple of years and then some people started to have a go at me for calling him that and some almost insinuated that me calling him Mc Fookknuckle had some adverse affect on morale, the team, results etc etc.
This year I made a conscious effort to not call him Mc Fookknuckle but instead by his rightful name "Coach".
Well funny how referring to him as "Coach" has seen us do even worse and the morale drop to even lower levels.
So I apologise profusely to all and sundry for ruining our season and I promise never to call him "Coach" again and by reintroducing Mc Fookknuckle hopefully our season turns around.
All hail Mc Fookknuckle our brave & noble leader who offers sage advice at all pressers.

George Dragon

Juniors
Funny when I came up with the name Mc Fookknuckle I got away with it for a couple of years and then some people started to have a go at me for calling him that and some almost insinuated that me calling him Mc Fookknuckle had some adverse affect on morale, the team, results etc etc.
This year I made a conscious effort to not call him Mc Fookknuckle but instead by his rightful name "Coach".
Coach....I don't think that has ever been his rightful name.

hazzbeen

Bench
For some people it is not that "they will be" the next big thing but more "maybe they are" the next big thing but we didn't bother to find out whilst we offered up spots to never was's and has beens.
Investing time and not making a determination by allowing them some game time in NRL is the point that disappoints people the most.
We all wanted some time invested in Aitken and the club did so but the coaching staff and recruitment now refuses to face the obvious but decide not to look at Masters or Herbert so people rightly get pissed off.
Maybe Masters ,Herbert, Garrick all end up worse but we didn't bother to find out for ourselves and if they do turn out NRL standard who is to blame for letting them go and persisting with Aitken & Lafai and securing Maranta and then letting him play 1st grade?
Exactly this, players playing week in week out regardless if they are not playing well .... Then having these young bloke not even given a chance to be seen , then they turn up playing elsewhere when they should have had a go ....... Anyway nothing changes with the mentality of the coaching staff until we have outside influence ....

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Funnily out of the many, many dragons juniors in recent years who haven’t gone to our top grades, how many are we truly ruing letting go?

Cook? People were glad to see the back of him, he’s only bloomed recently.

Bird? The jury is still out there..

And then when these juniors do get a shot in 1st grade with us and take the inevitable learning curve that comes with it, the same “fans” crucify the players

Eg in recent years Dufty was our saviour when he was in reserves and suddenly he’s no good..

Let’s not forget even someone like Latrell Mitchell had many clangers early on..

I’m tipping Lomax starts copping it on here before the end of next season too..
You are..

getsmarty

Immortal
Funnily out of the many, many dragons juniors in recent years who haven’t gone to our top grades, how many are we truly ruing letting go?

Cook? People were glad to see the back of him, he’s only bloomed recently.

Bird? The jury is still out there..

And then when these juniors do get a shot in 1st grade with us and take the inevitable learning curve that comes with it, the same “fans” crucify the players

Eg in recent years Dufty was our saviour when he was in reserves and suddenly he’s no good..

Let’s not forget even someone like Latrell Mitchell had many clangers early on..

I’m tipping Lomax starts copping it on here before the end of next season too..

You are..

Correct Muzby.... You blood these young guys knowing that there will be a learning curve. The way I see it, we don't have the coaching staff to develop their game....

There have been other solid players leave...Whare/linnett etc...Herbert and even Garrick seems to be improving under Hasler...the thing I find frustrating is we replace them with Journeymen or reserve greders without giving them a solid run in first Grade.

Even K.Mann looks better under Brown....I guess it's all a moot argument as the coaching staff have already made up their collective minds as to the pathways of certain players.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Correct Muzby.... You blood these young guys knowing that there will be a learning curve. The way I see it, we don't have the coaching staff to develop their game....

There have been other solid players leave...Whare/linnett etc...Herbert and even Garrick seems to be improving under Hasler...the thing I find frustrating is we replace them with Journeymen or reserve greders without giving them a solid run in first Grade.

Even K.Mann looks better under Brown....I guess it's all a moot argument as the coaching staff have already made up their collective minds as to the pathways of certain players.

We dont see the decision making process so we have to trust the people making the decisions.

Right now the brains trust of Mary/Millward/Crawley et all do not instill the greatest levels of confidence in people so the decisions are questioned more ....

If Bennett lets a bloke like Marsters go then that tells you something.
if Bennett picks a bloke like Marsters then that also tells you something.

Bennett flicking Mary day dot tells you all you need to know.

getsmarty

Immortal
We dont see the decision making process so we have to trust the people making the decisions.

Right now the brains trust of Mary/Millward/Crawley et all do not instill the greatest levels of confidence in people so the decisions are questioned more ....

If Bennett lets a bloke like Marsters go then that tells you something.
if Bennett picks a bloke like Marsters then that also tells you something.

Bennett flicking Mary day dot tells you all you need to know.

Agree Rufus....The point I was making Re Muzby's comments were that there is a learning curve when you blood younger guys and people will often come on here and unleash on them without giving them time in the top grade.
Having stated this, I don't believe that any of our coaching staff have significantly improved players deficiencies eg Dufty or even watching guys like Garrick now at Manly....( he has improved under Hasler )

In a nutshell, nothing will change with the current mob running the club. Very Depressing.