What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

• Total voters
I've posted this in the NRL forum as I'm interested to get the thoughts of all rugby league fans generally.

I voted "yes", and it's nothing personal against the Illawarra folk: Great people, lovely area, we shared some good times together (1999, 2005-2006, 2009-2011, etc).

However, it's time to part ways: Too many moving parts. Too many home grounds. Too many administrators with delusional thoughts of us being some type of 'super club' with infinite resources we can squander, and, most importantly, too many poor decisions over the past 20 years.

Please vote and discuss.

The Bye

Juniors
I’d like to see a merger with Gold Coast to form the St George Illawarra Titan Dragons. Tyrone Roberts, who can barely manage putting together a coherent sentence at the best of times will captain/coach the joint venture. A purpose built ground with a capacity of 400 will be named after none other then Dragons/Titans royalty - Luke Bailey. I see this as the only viable option moving forward for these clubs to guarantee success both on and off the field.

18to87

First Grade
Assuming this thread isn't trolling, no. The joint venture should be working far better than it is and perhaps in the future, if some new blood ever comes onto the board, then it will. It is a big "if" though.

gerg

Juniors
Relocate them. The Chinese are screaming out for a side and the Dragons would be a perfect fit. Would require an update to the emblem - an Asian Dragon instead of European.

Diesel

Coach
I don’t see the point but if it happened, the Sharks would be stupid not to take up a joint venture/move in to the Illawarra as a South Coast & southern Sydney team.
Then there will be calls for the Dragons to relocate to WA as the Dragons area is too small.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Without the massive Illawarra junior base wouldn't they absolutely struggle given Cronulla and St George both tap the same resources?

Fangs

Coach
I vote yes if the Sharks are either blown up or moved to Perth. Would be a great result for the code.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Naturally.

Two teams again:

St George Dragons; and
Illawarra Steelers (and I hope they are incredibly successful - no hard feelings here at all).

Would love to see Illawarra back in as a single entity but then would come up the old argument of to many teams in or close to the Sydney basin, if the Central Coast can't get in there is no way they would let Illawarra back in as a stand alone club unless some Sydney cubs are culled or relocated way out of the Sydney area and that is not going to happen.

Last edited:

Latest posts