What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

Brutus

Referee
Mitchell Pearce has proven once and for all, by his State of Origin performance, that he is the unchallenged second best half back in the NRL (after Cooper Cronk of course).. He threw some beautiful passes and defended brilliantly.

I love that pass he threw to nobody in the 2nd half. I think Chambers dived on it.

I would give Pearce's Origin performance a 5.5/10.

adamkungl

Immortal
Everyone realises it. It saved his arse. He didn't have a very good game but that was a good ball.

This is a completely ridiculous standard that only Pearce is held to when he wins, and is flipped over when he loses.

If he plays a consistently good game and gets up some good stats but the team loses, he's bagged for not grabbing the win.
If he plays a solid if un-spectacular game, and grabs the win with a big play, he's bagged for not doing big plays every few minutes.

Sometimes a good halves game is having the ball on a string for 80 minutes.
And sometimes it's knowing when to get the ball to the right players, taking the very few opportunities that come up.
Origin is usually the latter. Pearce has always, sometimes rightfully sometimes unfairly, always been criticised for not icing the game when the chance is there. Cronk Thurston and Smith together are immense opposition and anyone would back them over Pearce vs Maloney/Soward/Carney/Hodkinson/Farah. But over the years he's had his shots and missed.

This time he nailed it. Some people still want to be negative. Sad losers.

Anyone bagging Thurston for not playing good enough in the 2015 Grand Final except for the last little bit where he won the premiership?

Headless Chook

Juniors
This is a completely ridiculous standard that only Pearce is held to when he wins, and is flipped over when he loses.

If he plays a consistently good game and gets up some good stats but the team loses, he's bagged for not grabbing the win.
If he plays a solid if un-spectacular game, and grabs the win with a big play, he's bagged for not doing big plays every few minutes.

Sometimes a good halves game is having the ball on a string for 80 minutes.
And sometimes it's knowing when to get the ball to the right players, taking the very few opportunities that come up.
Origin is usually the latter. Pearce has always, sometimes rightfully sometimes unfairly, always been criticised for not icing the game when the chance is there. Cronk Thurston and Smith together are immense opposition and anyone would back them over Pearce vs Maloney/Soward/Carney/Hodkinson/Farah. But over the years he's had his shots and missed.

This time he nailed it. Some people still want to be negative. Sad losers.

Anyone bagging Thurston for not playing good enough in the 2015 Grand Final except for the last little bit where he won the premiership?[/QUOTE
Don’t worry, Cordner has taken over this mantle now. Pearce is now free to carry on with the rest of his life

Knight Vision

First Grade
Anyone bagging Thurston for not playing good enough in the 2015 Grand Final
I do. Nearly fell of my chair when he got man of the match. He had a woeful game up to the point ( including the choke of a conversion ) One field goal and he is a future immortal...makes me laugh.

Pearce has finally been given the opportunity to show the world what most astute judges of talent already knew, that he is one of, if not the best player in the NRL.

I am glad that he was given a supporting cast that could compliment his tremendous amount of skill and ability.

Spot On

Coach
Geez Albert

You've had your Stetson alt in hibernation for a while.

Good to see you let him out again.

How about that QLD loyalty Stetson!!!!

President Trump

Juniors
Mitchell Pearce is one of the top 10 half backs of the NRL era. End of story.

Starting from 1998, here are 10 halfbacks that were better than Pearce (in no particular order):

1. Allan Langer
2. Andrew Johns
3. Cooper Cronk
4. Craig Gower
5. Johnathan Thurston
6. Brett Kimmorley
7. Preston Campbell
8. Scott Prince
9. Stacey Jones
10. Matt Orford

Craig Gower was the greatest half back Penrith has ever seen. He guided Penrith to a Grand Final victory in 2003. Craig Gower makes Nathan Cleary look very ordinary.

To suggest that Matt Orford was better than Mitchell Pearce is a very controversial statement.

Starting from 1998, here are 10 halfbacks that were better than Pearce (in no particular order):

1. Allan Langer
2. Andrew Johns
3. Cooper Cronk
4. Craig Gower
5. Johnathan Thurston
6. Brett Kimmorley
7. Preston Campbell
8. Scott Prince
9. Stacey Jones
10. Matt Orford

Although I agree that Langer is easily the best half back of all time, his NRL career (1998 onwards) was in no way better than Pearce.

Jean Capdouze

Juniors
Mitchell Pearce is a future immortal, there is no doubting that. One of the greatest clubman to ever play Rugby League. His next move after gifting the Newcastle Knights a Title will be a move to France or the UK for the final stint of a magnificent career.

Latest posts