What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your most unpopular opinion about the NRL?

Travitoh

First Grade
What about a draw after extra time?

Good question. Maybe 4 points with a 3-1 split if golden point is needed?

The point is more that a team should get something out of an extra time loss. And same goes that wins inside 80 should be valued higher than a win in GP.

King hit

Coach
Mal Meninga isn’t immortal quality. He is a definite hall of famer no question but imo to be immortal you need to be the best of your generation and everybody I’ve asked about the 80’s say on the spot Lewis was the best with no rival. Meninga is at best the second best Maroon of his time (Gene Miles, Linder, Vautin etc could have cases for being better) and in the Raiders premiership you can even say Daley, Clyde and Stuart as the best players.

Feel the same about Provan. Was behind him being immortal once but when you think about it he is the 4th best player on his team as everyone says Raper and Gasnier were the standouts. Hall of famer and was probably a great player but below immortal standard.

gerg

Juniors
Mal Meninga isn’t immortal quality. He is a definite hall of famer no question but imo to be immortal you need to be the best of your generation and everybody I’ve asked about the 80’s say on the spot Lewis was the best with no rival. Meninga is at best the second best Maroon of his time (Gene Miles, Linder, Vautin etc could have cases for being better) and in the Raiders premiership you can even say Daley, Clyde and Stuart as the best players.

Feel the same about Provan. Was behind him being immortal once but when you think about it he is the 4th best player on his team as everyone says Raper and Gasnier were the standouts. Hall of famer and was probably a great player but below immortal standard.

Vautin and Lindner ahead of Meninga? Haha.

mistertaylor

Juniors
Too many interchanges. Cut it back to 4 with 2 additional "foul play/concussion" interchanges and let the little blokes back into the game

ram raid

Bench
If people had any idea how wide spread the use of illegal PEDs in the NRL is they would be truly horrified.

LittleWayne

Juniors
If people had any idea how wide spread the use of illegal PEDs in the NRL is they would be truly horrified.

Don’t think they would tbh, I don’t think they would about recreational drug use either. Nor players gambling on games.

Think they’d be more shocked about the sex WhatsApp sharing group though.

The Bye

Juniors
The NRL grand final is an absolute joke as a spectacle and Sydney should relinquish the rights to hosting it. The NRL could learn a lot, and benefit by taking a leaf out of the AFL’s book on how to host a grand final.

Have been to three of the last four and Sydney/NRL really know how take the grand, out of grand final. The city itself does not embrace the day and couldn’t give two f**ks about it.

A walk through the city in the days leading up to it or on game day, and you’d be forgiven for thinking there was no game on. There are barely any public events to build up the event. The AFL have some kind of event on in the city of Melbourne almost daily, culminating with a parade on the Friday that stops the city and tens of thousands come out to attend.

Then we get to game day, and the problems really start to surface. The stadium itself may as well be in another city. It is an absolute pain in the ass to get out to. Due to the locality, you’re almost forced to pre drink out there at the piss poor bars in the precinct that are only allowed to sell mid strength alcohol. What an absolute joke. Imagine being a grown ass adult and being told you’re not allowed to enjoy a full strength beer. f**k your Nanna state government! Compare this to Melbourne where bars are flooded with patrons enjoying being trusted to have a full strength f**king beer without carrying on. The tribalism often that is seen between the two competing side (especially if they’re Victorian clubs) creates a pre match atmosphere like no other. Meanwhile at Olympic park, you have hundreds of sober fans pissing every 30 seconds looking at their watches begging for time to go faster so this god awful pre match festivities can end and they can go into the stadium.

Then we head into the game itself, and the pre match entertainment. Now I’m not overly fussed about it myself, but I can acknowledge that a half decent act can really set the tone and pump the crowd up. I went to an AFL grand final a few years ago and The Killers played and absolutely dominated their set. The next day I flew to Sydney and bared witness to Macklemore lip sync his trash to an audience who were more captivated on their phones checking what Sally had for lunch on Instagram. The sad thing is, Macklemore is probably one of the NRL’s biggest and best acts they’ve ever pulled, which speaks volumes of how much they butcher the pre game entertainment.

Then we get to the game itself and the stadium is just absolute trash to watch a game of footy no matter where you sit. It absolutely dulls the atmosphere, and feels as if you’re watching a glorified home and away fixture. Honestly 0/10 experience. Moving it to the SCG for the next few years starting next year might change the overall experience, but the grand final needs to be moved to Brisbane ASAP. Brisbane is the unofficial home of rugby league, and given how boring the city is, I have absolutely no doubt that Brisbane would embrace the lead up week and grand final day, and put on an exceptional event.

The NRL grand final is an absolute joke as a spectacle and Sydney should relinquish the rights to hosting it. The NRL could learn a lot, and benefit by taking a leaf out of the AFL’s book on how to host a grand final.

Have been to three of the last four and Sydney/NRL really know how take the grand, out of grand final. The city itself does not embrace the day and couldn’t give two f**ks about it.

A walk through the city in the days leading up to it or on game day, and you’d be forgiven for thinking there was no game on. There are barely any public events to build up the event. The AFL have some kind of event on in the city of Melbourne almost daily, culminating with a parade on the Friday that stops the city and tens of thousands come out to attend.

Then we get to game day, and the problems really start to surface. The stadium itself may as well be in another city. It is an absolute pain in the ass to get out to. Due to the locality, you’re almost forced to pre drink out there at the piss poor bars in the precinct that are only allowed to sell mid strength alcohol. What an absolute joke. Imagine being a grown ass adult and being told you’re not allowed to enjoy a full strength beer. f**k your Nanna state government! Compare this to Melbourne where bars are flooded with patrons enjoying being trusted to have a full strength f**king beer without carrying on. The tribalism often that is seen between the two competing side (especially if they’re Victorian clubs) creates a pre match atmosphere like no other. Meanwhile at Olympic park, you have hundreds of sober fans pissing every 30 seconds looking at their watches begging for time to go faster so this god awful pre match festivities can end and they can go into the stadium.

Then we head into the game itself, and the pre match entertainment. Now I’m not overly fussed about it myself, but I can acknowledge that a half decent act can really set the tone and pump the crowd up. I went to an AFL grand final a few years ago and The Killers played and absolutely dominated their set. The next day I flew to Sydney and bared witness to Macklemore lip sync his trash to an audience who were more captivated on their phones checking what Sally had for lunch on Instagram. The sad thing is, Macklemore is probably one of the NRL’s biggest and best acts they’ve ever pulled, which speaks volumes of how much they butcher the pre game entertainment.

Then we get to the game itself and the stadium is just absolute trash to watch a game of footy no matter where you sit. It absolutely dulls the atmosphere, and feels as if you’re watching a glorified home and away fixture. Honestly 0/10 experience. Moving it to the SCG for the next few years starting next year might change the overall experience, but the grand final needs to be moved to Brisbane ASAP. Brisbane is the unofficial home of rugby league, and given how boring the city is, I have absolutely no doubt that Brisbane would embrace the lead up week and grand final day, and put on an exceptional event.
tldr

I know damn well that you sat there and read the rant twice over.
I got up to the first sentence of your second paragraph and immediately knew you're a f**king dumb merkin and to not waste my time or energy reading your post.

This conversation is over.

The Bye

Juniors
I got up to the first sentence of your second paragraph and immediately knew you're a f**king dumb merkin and to not waste my time or energy reading your post.

This conversation is over.
Says the self proclaimed knuckle dragger. Probably stumbled at the word ‘relinquished’ and got a headache from trying to figure out what it means.

The Bye

Juniors
Rugby League fans don’t join AFL forums pretending to be AFL fans to do they?
I’m a fan of both codes, however have been supporting league a lot longer having been born and raised in rugby league heartland North Queensland. I know it’s a difficult concept to understand, but it is possible to look at things objectively as opposed to the constant cheerleading that happens on this forum.

gerg

Juniors
Rugby League fans don’t join AFL forums pretending to be AFL fans to do they?

Why would anybody who genuinely loves a sport spend any amount of time on a forum for a sport they think is inferior? It's one of the saddest snd most pathetic things in modern society.

mozza91

Coach
I’m a fan of both codes, however have been supporting league a lot longer having been born and raised in rugby league heartland North Queensland. I know it’s a difficult concept to understand, but it is possible to look at things objectively as opposed to the constant cheerleading that happens on this forum.
So Rugby League fans aren’t as sad as AFL fans?