What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 17 2019 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
Post-Origin, back to business.

Of the four or five teams hovering around 7th-8th spot, who wants it the most?

Fascinating for Shaun Johnson followers, how well will he respond to some heavy criticism, and a 'hooking', from last week's loss to Brisbane? Against the Storm of all opponents? A great player would have a blinder, taking his team to a great victory.

Should I check to see if Johnson's on the team-sheet? Match of the round has got to be that one.

Can the Panthers win six in a row? What a turnaround, and they're still not in the eight. Shows how badly they started the season. There's some real belief now in Pantherland.

The Cows have to win against the Chooks, away. Expect a big one from the likes of JT, if not they're also-rans for 2019. Since the highs of 2016/17, they've really struggled.

Titans and Bulldogs, both with par games v Panthers and Knights, away. The spoon-race hots up.

Rabbs v Sea Eagles, both sides had key players in Origin, and if the latter win then they go level on points.

Tigers v Eels. Nothing really separates these two on paper. Neither will win the title this year, but both are desperate to make the finals.

Dragons v Raiders. Bottom four v top four, and two points crucial for different reasons.

The Broncos think they're back. Look out Warriors.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Panthers have a decent draw so I would back them.

Having said that I don't see them doing anything once there. They may have won 5 in a row, but few of those victories were impressive and most had a heavily depleted opposition.

Blair

Coach
Panthers have a decent draw so I would back them.

Having said that I don't see them doing anything once there. They may have won 5 in a row, but few of those victories were impressive and most had a heavily depleted opposition.

In a sense we did play the Panthers back into form as they'll probably win six in a row since playing us!

Big Marn

Juniors
Costly Origin window for the Knights. Losing to us AND the Dogs. ouch. Price of success?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Get the apology letter ready for Manly.
Bunker is obviously seeing different vision than everyone else.

Hope Des spends 10k today. 8-2 penalty count, Souths not offside once in 80mins of footy ... that call from the bomb with 3mins to go was disgraceful too, option 1 was penalty for offside, we kick 2 points and win the game. Option 2 Souths knock on stripping the ball from Garrick and we get a chance at evening it up. But they come up with knock on against Manly ...

Cust hit late and high, left field with a broken nose for a HIA, no penalty. DCE hit in the back late a couple of seconds after passing, no penalty. We are getting tough on that now though ...

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Rabbs 21 SE 20.

I'm cheering 'our' SJ on tonight. I know he's no longer with us but it's still good for us if he ruins Cam's 400th with a blinder.

Last edited:

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Johnson was excellent and the Sharks could have spoiled the Smithfest had they not had such a gumby first half.

Storm were powerful overall but had some serious headless chicken moments.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Brandon Smith scored a couple of proper effort tries. Trying to tackle him looks roughly comparable to play-wrestling a large excited dog.

Blair

Coach
Johnson was excellent and the Sharks could have spoiled the Smithfest had they not had such a gumby first half.

Storm were powerful overall but had some serious headless chicken moments.

So he responded well to a tough week? Good for him.

"The Sharks' second try brought them to within 2 points when Shaun Johnson ran through and scored and converted both tries."

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
A bit of a boilover that, Cowboys over Chooks.

Hey, I'd not known it was Benji's 300th! But, anyway, the Tigers are losing...

Currently Eels 16-4 at half-time.

Edit: 30-18 to the Eels. Benji doesn't get the win, but still gets a great send-off afterwards, haka included.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Rd 17 Ladder:

upload_2019-7-14_23-59-38.png

"Had Enough
Had Enough

Had Enough
Had Enough

Had Enough
Had Enough

Had Enough