What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

• Total voters

ReddFelon

Juniors
WITH the massive Illawarra junior base they are absolutely struggling...

Not because of a lack of players coming through though, they're struggling because Mary's not a great coach. It's in with the Steelers Leagues finally turning a profit again and the Steelers end of the merger no longer owing debts to St George they'd gain absolutely nothing by separating. Although I personally would prefer the Illawarra Steelers to be a singular team to play all home games at WIN.

I’d like to see a merger with Gold Coast to form the St George Illawarra Titan Dragons. Tyrone Roberts, who can barely manage putting together a coherent sentence at the best of times will captain/coach the joint venture. A purpose built ground with a capacity of 400 will be named after none other then Dragons/Titans royalty - Luke Bailey. I see this as the only viable option moving forward for these clubs to guarantee success both on and off the field.

giphy.gif

Canard

Immortal
Any remember the LU Dragons fan from a few years back that went off tap, because the team dared not wear the "blood and bandages" strip for one of their games.

I reckon it was the OP.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’d be happy for Illawarra to jettison the dead weight that is St George..

The funny part about it is that St George have never actually won a premiership without having the Illawarra with them..

What do I mean?

Pre-Steelers entry in 1982, the Illawarra was considered catchment for the St George team..

So pre-1982, Illawarra was part of St George anyway..

And the only time St George were a true solo entity was 1982-1998, a period of dismal failure, terrible choking.. And no premierships..

It was only when they joined back with Illawarra did they secure another premiership..

So, let them go if that’s what they want..

The Canterbury Cup will be honoured to have them..

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Merge St George with cronulla to form the St George Sutherland sharks playing out of shark park or whatever it’s called these days.

Bring back the steelers too as a stand alone club playing out of WIN stadium.

Also Move manly to North Sydney oval. North Sydney sea eagles and merge Penrith with parramatta to form the parramatta panthers.

GongPanther

Referee
I've posted this in the NRL forum as I'm interested to get the thoughts of all rugby league fans generally.

I voted "yes", and it's nothing personal against the Illawarra folk: Great people, lovely area, we shared some good times together (1999, 2005-2006, 2009-2011, etc).

However, it's time to part ways: Too many moving parts. Too many home grounds. Too many administrators with delusional thoughts of us being some type of 'super club' with infinite resources we can squander, and, most importantly, too many poor decisions over the past 20 years.

Please vote and discuss.
Where are you going to get your players from? And correct me if I'm wrong, over the past 20 years Wollongong Showground has a better winning % ground than Kogarah.

Also, give it another 10 years or so,maybe even less, the way the population of the Illawarra is growing, a Steelers return is not out of the question.

GongPanther

Referee
Merge St George with cronulla to form the St George Sutherland sharks playing out of shark park or whatever it’s called these days.

Also Move manly to North Sydney oval. North Sydney sea eagles and merge Penrith with parramatta to form the parramatta panthers.
We don't want Parra as a merger. It would be akin to having Holden (Parra) merging with Rolls Royce (The Penrith Panthers).

GongPanther

Referee
Agreed.

Removing the Sharks and Eels are the two priorities for the NRL right now. It's for the good of the game.
No doubt the Panthers and the Eels along with the Tigers are the only 100% safe clubs in the Sydney area.

But there will be clubs who will be kicking themselves when one other particular club opts to take it's biggest gamble, and relocate to Perth. To do so, they would enjoy a long and prosperous new venture. ..and more importantly, survival.

Canard

Immortal

Merge the UK Super League into three sides, at least then there would be 2 NRL quality players per side