What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

• Total voters

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Firstly, you actually don't know this.

Secondly, the JV you speak of is already broken. It was renewed last year. It is now a St George-WIN JV.

Thirdly, commercial licenses tend to goes where the money is.

And finally, you're assuming the St George Dragons won't be based in Wollongong. That is... if we haven't already moved in.
Firstly, I have a hunch..

Secondly, that’s still a JV licence, it hasn’t been broken up..

Thirdly, the money is down south..

Finally, if that’s the team who represent the region, they’ll be well supported by the folk down there..

Dorsai

Juniors
It’s only a licence, the NRL can award it where they want..

There are already too many teams in Sydney.. If the NRL didn’t give the licence to the south coast, why would they give the licence to Perth or a second Brisbane team, rather than the least successful Sydney club?

And there you just said it. The least successful club. That would be Illawarra.

The brand name alone would be reason enough. St George standing alone, with the right business minded backers would be a force in the league. Unfortunately, the experiment with the JV and the southern management has brought very little in the way of success and value. That was evident with the eventual demise of Illawarra from the JV and the buy out.

It is a great area to bring players through to the Dragons NRL side, but does not belong in the main arena.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
And there you just said it. The least successful club. That would be Illawarra.
Least successful SYDNEY club..

That’s St George.. You strip away the JV, St George are the last Sydney club to have won a premiership..

The brand name alone would be reason enough. St George standing alone, with the right business minded backers would be a force in the league.
Where are St George’s backers?

The brand was worth nothing by 1998.

Why is it worth more now?

SaintPauli

Juniors
Very well said, mate.

I've lost faith in the board and with WIN hijacking control of the club, we need change but with the St George component of the board rolling over, l am without knowledge in knowing our next move.

All l know is that our club seem happy just to be in the league as opposed to wanting to win it like the Saints of old.
Seems that way and the new supposed board sounds like crickets to me.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Yes we should go back to being St George Dragons with our home ground at Jubilee.
Strategically Jubilee is geographically! a better location for nrl players. Better realestate, closer proximity to city, closer proximity to other surrounding clubs to poach their players and finally history and pride of a club second to none.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
I’ve always liked the JV.

As a kid in the Carlton/Kogarah area from the 60’s I even liked Illawarra when they kicked off in the 80’s (except when they beat us).

I lived in the Gong and South Coast more recently and have far more affinity with the area (and JV) than what the St George/Sutherland/Eastern Suburbs/Canterbury Bankstown districts have become.

There’s nothing wrong with the JV imo, proud to be a St George Illawarra tragic. Lots of administrative/business/performance issues but the JV footy team I’m happy to be a proud supporter of.

Always bought a Holden or Ford until recently, great cars, great history and great memories. My new BMW is heaps (shitloads) better than any of the new Holden/Ford models and so is my wife’s Hyundai for that matter. My point here is a long bow I know, but if we got rid of the Holdens and Fords from our old boys club we could become a prestigious and good reliable footy club again.

Go the Mighty St George Illawarra Dragons - onwards and upwards !
I upgraded from Holden to a BMW (not brand new) too and I love the BMW. Best car I have driven.

I want a 1M, a M2 and a E30 m3. I would like to put a V8 from an E92 M3 into an E30 M3.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Strategically Jubilee is demographically a better location for nrl players. Better realestate, closer proximity to city, closer proximity to other surrounding clubs to poach their players and finally history and pride of a club second to none.
Exactly. And it is also better located to recruit juniors from the rest of Sydney and NSW besides Woolongong.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Strategically Jubilee is demographically a better location for nrl players. Better realestate, closer proximity to city, closer proximity to other surrounding clubs to poach their players and finally history and pride of a club second to none.
Yeah, I think you mean geographically rather than demographically..

Yet another failing by the St George side of things..

SaintPauli

Juniors
The 100 year celebrations if they do occur will be with complete hypocritical
Falsehoods. Did we win 15 premiership's or 16 NRL?

IF WE'VE WON 1 THEN NRL THEN 100 YEARS IS IRRELEVENT RIGHT ?
and St George were dissolved. S.O.S. now.

This game is run by idiotic fools.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The 100 year celebrations if they do occur will be with complete hypocritical
Falsehoods. Did we win 15 premiership's or 16 NRL?

IF WE'VE WON 1 THEN NRL THEN 100 YEARS IS IRRELEVENT RIGHT ?
and St George were dissolved. S.O.S. now.

This game is run by idiotic fools.
1 NRL

15 NSWRL.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Yeah, I think you mean geographically rather than demographically..

Yet another failing by the St George side of things..
Thanks for the spelling correction but that does not distract or detract the readers from understanding the underlying core truth of what has really happened with our beloved St George Rugby League club

Last edited:

SaintPauli

Juniors
1 NRL

15 NSWRL.

Nice try to soften the blow!

Technically your wrong. The NRL was registered in December 1997 and St George existed with 15 premiership's.

Furthermore the NRL does not distinguish NSWRL from NRL premiership's for other clubs such as Souths for Easts!

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Thanks for the spelling correction but that does not distract or detract the readers from understanding the underlying core truth of what has really happened with our beloved St George Rugby League club
No, that’s not a spelling correction.

You spelled demographically correctly.

However, demographically and geographically are two completely different words.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Nice try to soften the blow!

Technically your wrong. The NRL was registered in December 1997 and St George existed with 15 premiership's.

Furthermore the NRL does not distinguish NSWRL from NRL premiership's for other clubs such as Souths for Easts!
Speaking of spelling corrections, plenty there but I’ll leave them be..

The 15 titles St George won as a stand alone entity were not NRL titles as the NRL was not around when they won them.