What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Send off dead?

skeepe

Immortal
Yeah we do. Tipped upside down, uses hand to stop himself. Honestly see it on the regular. No idea what the fuss is.

The only one I can remember that bad recently (and I use the word loosely) is Luke O’Donnell in Origin, which should also have been a send off but wasn’t because Origin.

They are rare. And they should be treated the same as this one was every time.

nick87

Coach
Correct.

Now according to Fox Sports that’s the first send off for a dangerous throw in 24 years.

While you could easily argue that in that period there are plenty more that SHOULD have been send offs, it really doesn’t matter.

Looked at in isolation, that’s the kind of tackle we don’t need in our game. It was head first, he was driven into the ground, it was a horror show.

I’m sure he didn’t mean to do it, but it should be a send off every day of the week.

Yeah, there was no malice or intent with that tackle, but it's a send off and a lengthy stint on the sidelines. I think we'll have him back for the finals in 8 weeks.

yobbo84

First Grade
It's the worst spear tackle I've seen since Luke MacDougall on Anthony Minichiello (which ironically he wasn't sent off for). It was a bad one.

BadnMean

Juniors
Yeah, there was no malice or intent with that tackle, but it's a send off and a lengthy stint on the sidelines. I think we'll have him back for the finals in 8 weeks.

2 weeks if we remove the derp around THAT being a send off & not the 24 other tackles just as bad I see e very year. But as the stats show- it's a lot easier for a ref to pull that & the bin vs the Raiders than a big market club. It's embarrassing how one sided those stats are honestly.

Yet McGuire can gouge as many eyes as he likes & carry on merrily.

nick87

Coach
2 weeks if we remove the derp around THAT being a send off & not the 24 other tackles just as bad I see e very year. But as the stats show- it's a lot easier for a ref to pull that & the bin vs the Raiders than a big market club. It's embarrassing how one sided those stats are honestly.

Yet McGuire can gouge as many eyes as he likes & carry on merrily.

Stop doing what you're doing.

BadnMean

Juniors
Stop doing what you're doing.
Yeah ok. This is clearly the worst spear tackle seen since 1995.

Because that is the result we have here right now. Worst in 20 years. That's the last time we saw a lifting tackle send off. Reaaallyyy?? That's what you saw? Then I honestly don't know what to say apart from I don't think you have a good grasp of the game or lifting tackles. Was his hand in the middle? Did he drive down? Did L:afai step in? Have I seen this before (yes, multiple times this season).

If that's what you saw then ok, fine, you've seen a different tackle to me & you watch a different game every week.

nick87

Coach
Worst in 20 years?
Yeah i cant think of any off my head worse than it. LOD's maybe

If you think that's a 2 week suspension, you're not only watching a different game, you're watching it in a different galaxy.

He lifted, tipped him virtually vertical and then drove. The ONLY saving grace was there was no hands between the legs. You're taking the god damn piss.

I love NIc and i dont think this was intentional at all, but his actions were his actions. 2 weeks?
f**k off.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Remember when there was a crackdown on lifting tackles for about a month after the Alex McKinnon injury? Shame it never continued, there's no reason for them.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It ended up looking like the way pro wrestlers take falls like that. Lafai manage to tuck his head correctly so his weight came down upon his shoulders. Cotric is insanely lucky that he didn't seriously injure the dude. It was a mistake but there is no room in the game for these sort of lifting tackles.

The only thing I would say in Cotrics defense is that because he didn't get his hands in between his legs it gave Lafai a fighting chance to protect his neck.It was still a shocking tackle

skeepe

Immortal

Because that is the result we have here right now. Worst in 20 years. That's the last time we saw a lifting tackle send off. Reaaallyyy?? That's what you saw? Then I honestly don't know what to say apart from I don't think you have a good grasp of the game or lifting tackles. Was his hand in the middle? Did he drive down? Did L:afai step in? Have I seen this before (yes, multiple times this season).

If that's what you saw then ok, fine, you've seen a different tackle to me & you watch a different game every week.

I’m a little hesitant to engage here because of that old adage about idiots beating you with experience, but what the hell.

Give me one example, just one example, of a tackle as bad as that this season.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I don't think it deserves to go straight to the judiciary. That should he reserved for intentional actions.

So at worst he should be looking at 4 weeks with an early plea.

nick87

Coach
I don't think it deserves to go straight to the judiciary. That should he reserved for intentional actions.

So at worst he should be looking at 4 weeks with an early plea.
I think i agree re: straight referral. But i think it should be AT least 6 with an early plea

typicalfan

Coach
It was a driving tackle gone wrong, not a spear tackle. The spear tackle is the hand between the legs style.

You used to see a lot of these types of tackles before the wrestling tactics took over. This is the worst one of these types I have seen in a while. Cotric drives and the momentum of the tackle goes sideways and he loses control. I didn't think it was send off worthy but I expected a binning. I also expected Ravalawa to be binned for his high tackle.

I expect Cotric gone for maybe 4-6 weeks.

bileduct

Coach

Imagine being you.

DaveMc

Juniors

Name literally one other tackle this season that is comparable to this.

mave

Coach
I see a tackle like that today and I feel bad for Cotric too. How would he be feeling after that ?

Unintentional, but the Dragons guy ended up in a really bad position, so Cotric will get what he gets.

It does however, make an absolute mockery of when guys like Josh Reynolds and Greg Inglis were purposely flipping themselves head over heels in order to win a penalty, and refs falling for it time and again.

Latest posts