What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin- The Story Of The Decade

Reflector

Juniors
I realised last night after the game finished that it also signalled the closing chapter on another decade in the Origin saga. Final record (at my count) shows that between Game 1 2010 and last night, Qld won 18 matches to NSW winning 12, and is fairly well reflected in the series wins.

As a NSWman, 2010 was the worst series I recall. In none of the 3 games did the Blues look competitive or unified. Qld swept the series 3-0 and made it look like a training run. When people praise Bellamy's coaching ability, I always remember how grubby and one-dimensional his Origin teams looked, culminating in that 2010 series. Was glad to see the back of him.

2011 and 2012 were better- Ricky (for his flaws at NRL coaching level real or perceived) had the right mindset for the NSW coaching gig. NSW staged a spirited fightback to level the series in 2011, but then an awful half of football cost them in the Brisbane decider. 2012 was one that got away- you could say Qld were lucky to win that (Inglis's knock-on called a try which killed the Blues' momentum in Game 1, then that blatant interference that magically didn't get called in the decider, leading to Qld winning by a field goal to make it 7 on the trot). It was bittersweet and I imagine this is similar to how Qlders are feeling right now- you showed you could push the Champions right to the end, but you come up with nothing to show for it.

2013 brought Laurie Daley and I was initially happy with his easy-going presence. Should've won that 2013 series if Pearce didn't shit the bed and Hayne/ Fergo/ Dugan didn't get injured or behave like the 4 boys from 'Inbetweeners' on a bender. Again frustrating because Qld looked more vulnerable than they had since their streak started- but we (NSW) just couldn't turn 2 home games and going 1-0 up into claiming the shield back at last. 2014- Game 1 was arguably the game of the decade. It was meant to be Qld's night (100th Origin game. At Suncorp. Artie's jersey. KWEEEENSLANDAAAAH!) but the Blues were gutsy and showed what they were capable of as a defensive unit. Culminating in that magic night at ANZ when Trent Hodgkinson forever became a hero with 9 minutes to go and scored the lone try of the game. From a purists' sense it was definitely not a game for the highlights reels. It was a grim, dull encounter very much like the mid 80's Grand Finals and only memorable because it was the night NSW broke their drought and won the shield back. They deserved it after the effort they showed and 2-3 years of coming up just short in deciding matches.

2015 started well enough. Then came Game 3. Disgraceful. Whatever Laurie had achieved the year before, after this game he should've been put on notice. Qld ran riot to see Mal off on his birthday and NSW put in the most limp performance I can recall since Qld got 56 put past them back in 2000. 2016 should've been the end of Laurie's reign. Qld still had a good side, but to very nearly get swept 3-0 after NSW had the absolute glut of penalties in the decider and only save face thanks to a miracle try was surely the sign it was time for a fresh influence. But for some reason the NSWRL didn't act and along comes 2017. No disrespect to Qld but FMD how they won that series baffles me. Thrashed at home in Game 1, looking to get thrashed again in Game 2 going into half time but then NSW play the dumbest f**king bone headed football that was completely at odds with the momentum of the game. Trying to defend a 10 point lead with half an hour to go when Qld were there for killing off time and time and time again...I can't recall ever seeing a side hobble over the line for a win like Qld did that night. To their credit though, Qld were polished and professional while NSW clearly learned nothing- and I was convinced never wanted to see the likes of Wade Graham or Fergo in the sky blue ever again (ha!) The silver lining to this wasted series was that at least Daley was given the flick at last. Like Wally at Qld, he proved that it's one thing to be a star Origin player, but that doesn't mean you can translate it to coaching.

Then enter Freddy. I knew he was unconventional, but in Origin the mental aspect is a big part of it. NSW were poor at this during Daley's reign, but Freddy turned it around quick. We saw the result of that last year where NSW had to chase deficits or hold out while a man down for 10 minutes, with 11 debutants- but they showed enthusiasm and belief and capitalised on playing a Qld team winding down from their golden period. If Daley had stuck around and that bone-headed, mentally fragile culture had stuck around then I don't know if NSW win last year. This year again- Freddy got bagged for his selection choices, but NSW reminded me of the Qld teams at the start of this decade- they might have been outplayed at times, but they never panicked. In Game 1 they played badly for 30 minutes but still lost only because of a pass from Wighton that was equally brave and stupid. Game 2 they highlighted the difference in our forward pack vs Qld and showed no mercy. Then last night- and I've already shared my thoughts on the qualities I saw in that game from NSW, and afterwards too.

In the 80's Qld dominated and NSW won just 2 series. Then in the 90's NSW were on top and Qld managed 3 series wins (a drawn series doesn't count and I wouldn't argue any different is NSW were the reigning champs. It was a garbage ruling for a best of 3 series and it needed to be changed). This decade of Qld dominance, NSW still managed to win 3 series- and it could very well have been 4 or even possibly 5 with a combination of smarter football in a single half and a 50/50 decision going their way.

The word "rebuild" gets thrown around a lot, but Qld need to change how their team operates. What worked when their awesome spine ran the show isn't going to work with the fresh faces in. But that's their problem and I won't lose a wink of sleep if it takes them a while to act on it. As for NSW? Considering how the decade started- the futures' looking really positive. NSW have enough forwards at their disposal that even their 'B' squad is better than Qld's, and you wouldn't even need to call on Sharon to plod his way to another 30k cheque. Freddy has built a good, positive culture in the side too and there were signs that reflected this all last night.

So hopefully this continues to manifest in the 20's- and NSW reclaim much of the ground Qld have taken from them over the past 15 years and then some!

Hutty1986

Immortal
Excellent summary. NSW absolutely should have won the 2012 and 13 series, and threw away the 2017 series. Finally, FINALLY they've won a decider and with another neutral venue next year locked in, should be very hard to stop.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I realised last night after the game finished that it also signalled the closing chapter on another decade in the Origin saga. Final record (at my count) shows that between Game 1 2010 and last night, Qld won 18 matches to NSW winning 12, and is fairly well reflected in the series wins.

As a NSWman, 2010 was the worst series I recall. In none of the 3 games did the Blues look competitive or unified. Qld swept the series 3-0 and made it look like a training run. When people praise Bellamy's coaching ability, I always remember how grubby and one-dimensional his Origin teams looked, culminating in that 2010 series. Was glad to see the back of him.

2011 and 2012 were better- Ricky (for his flaws at NRL coaching level real or perceived) had the right mindset for the NSW coaching gig. NSW staged a spirited fightback to level the series in 2011, but then an awful half of football cost them in the Brisbane decider. 2012 was one that got away- you could say Qld were lucky to win that (Inglis's knock-on called a try which killed the Blues' momentum in Game 1, then that blatant interference that magically didn't get called in the decider, leading to Qld winning by a field goal to make it 7 on the trot). It was bittersweet and I imagine this is similar to how Qlders are feeling right now- you showed you could push the Champions right to the end, but you come up with nothing to show for it.

2013 brought Laurie Daley and I was initially happy with his easy-going presence. Should've won that 2013 series if Pearce didn't shit the bed and Hayne/ Fergo/ Dugan didn't get injured or behave like the 4 boys from 'Inbetweeners' on a bender. Again frustrating because Qld looked more vulnerable than they had since their streak started- but we (NSW) just couldn't turn 2 home games and going 1-0 up into claiming the shield back at last. 2014- Game 1 was arguably the game of the decade. It was meant to be Qld's night (100th Origin game. At Suncorp. Artie's jersey. KWEEEENSLANDAAAAH!) but the Blues were gutsy and showed what they were capable of as a defensive unit. Culminating in that magic night at ANZ when Trent Hodgkinson forever became a hero with 9 minutes to go and scored the lone try of the game. From a purists' sense it was definitely not a game for the highlights reels. It was a grim, dull encounter very much like the mid 80's Grand Finals and only memorable because it was the night NSW broke their drought and won the shield back. They deserved it after the effort they showed and 2-3 years of coming up just short in deciding matches.

2015 started well enough. Then came Game 3. Disgraceful. Whatever Laurie had achieved the year before, after this game he should've been put on notice. Qld ran riot to see Mal off on his birthday and NSW put in the most limp performance I can recall since Qld got 56 put past them back in 2000. 2016 should've been the end of Laurie's reign. Qld still had a good side, but to very nearly get swept 3-0 after NSW had the absolute glut of penalties in the decider and only save face thanks to a miracle try was surely the sign it was time for a fresh influence. But for some reason the NSWRL didn't act and along comes 2017. No disrespect to Qld but FMD how they won that series baffles me. Thrashed at home in Game 1, looking to get thrashed again in Game 2 going into half time but then NSW play the dumbest f**king bone headed football that was completely at odds with the momentum of the game. Trying to defend a 10 point lead with half an hour to go when Qld were there for killing off time and time and time again...I can't recall ever seeing a side hobble over the line for a win like Qld did that night. To their credit though, Qld were polished and professional while NSW clearly learned nothing- and I was convinced never wanted to see the likes of Wade Graham or Fergo in the sky blue ever again (ha!) The silver lining to this wasted series was that at least Daley was given the flick at last. Like Wally at Qld, he proved that it's one thing to be a star Origin player, but that doesn't mean you can translate it to coaching.

Then enter Freddy. I knew he was unconventional, but in Origin the mental aspect is a big part of it. NSW were poor at this during Daley's reign, but Freddy turned it around quick. We saw the result of that last year where NSW had to chase deficits or hold out while a man down for 10 minutes, with 11 debutants- but they showed enthusiasm and belief and capitalised on playing a Qld team winding down from their golden period. If Daley had stuck around and that bone-headed, mentally fragile culture had stuck around then I don't know if NSW win last year. This year again- Freddy got bagged for his selection choices, but NSW reminded me of the Qld teams at the start of this decade- they might have been outplayed at times, but they never panicked. In Game 1 they played badly for 30 minutes but still lost only because of a pass from Wighton that was equally brave and stupid. Game 2 they highlighted the difference in our forward pack vs Qld and showed no mercy. Then last night- and I've already shared my thoughts on the qualities I saw in that game from NSW, and afterwards too.

In the 80's Qld dominated and NSW won just 2 series. Then in the 90's NSW were on top and Qld managed 3 series wins (a drawn series doesn't count and I wouldn't argue any different is NSW were the reigning champs. It was a garbage ruling for a best of 3 series and it needed to be changed). This decade of Qld dominance, NSW still managed to win 3 series- and it could very well have been 4 or even possibly 5 with a combination of smarter football in a single half and a 50/50 decision going their way.

The word "rebuild" gets thrown around a lot, but Qld need to change how their team operates. What worked when their awesome spine ran the show isn't going to work with the fresh faces in. But that's their problem and I won't lose a wink of sleep if it takes them a while to act on it. As for NSW? Considering how the decade started- the futures' looking really positive. NSW have enough forwards at their disposal that even their 'B' squad is better than Qld's, and you wouldn't even need to call on Sharon to plod his way to another 30k cheque. Freddy has built a good, positive culture in the side too and there were signs that reflected this all last night.

So hopefully this continues to manifest in the 20's- and NSW reclaim much of the ground Qld have taken from them over the past 15 years and then some!
Good read. Spoken like a REAL journalist, not some pissmop from the Telecrap.

billygilmore

Juniors

Nice read mate.

Do the 90’s next, 92 was the earliest I can remember watching origin so my early memories are of qld getting smashed repeatedly until 95, then I think we got smashed again for a couple of years after that, good times

Reflector

Juniors
Nice read mate.

Do the 90’s next, 92 was the earliest I can remember watching origin so my early memories are of qld getting smashed repeatedly until 95, then I think we got smashed again for a couple of years after that, good times

I'll see how I go. I can say that 1991 was one of the all-time best series: 3 games all settled by 2 points. Could've been a whitewash either way if goalkicking was close to the accuracy we see today.

Reflector

Juniors
By Request- The Story Of The 90's:

Qld had dominated the late 80's. They won 8 in a row- not series, but games. Looking at the spine and the line-ups of those NSW teams they beat to the series in '87 and swept back to back in 1988 and '89, I put their feat above the sides who won 8 series from 2006-2013.

1990 was a turning point and a glimpse of what was to come for the next 15 years. For the first time a game went to Melbourne, NSW won the shield back under Jack Gibson (IIRC this was his last 1st grade coaching gig?) and as well as the seasoned veterans in the team you also had a young Laurie Daley plus a teenage Brad Fittler making his debut.

1991 was one of the best series ever- all 3 games were settled by 2 points, plus you had the iconic face-off between Wally and MG in the rain in Game 2, plus O'Conner's amazing sideline conversion to win the match. Game 3 was also the last time Wally would play for Qld, and this game highlighted how crucial goal kicking can be. Some of the misses that night are unbelievable, from both Mal and O'Conner. More accuracy off the boot and NSW could have won or even swept this series, that's how close it was. Also the only series Tim Sheens coached Origin.

1992 saw another mainstay in the forwards make his debut in the Chief, and also the arrival of Gus as coach. He was the perfect fit for a crop of NSW talent hitting their peak, also coinciding with Qld's 80's stars retiring from Origin and footy altogether. It paid off with NSW winning the series in '92 and backing up again the following year (although Qld could rightfully feel dudded after NSW scored from an offside kick in Game 2 of that '93 series, but even without that it would've been a draw and NSW would've "kept" the shield- a bullshit ruling I'll get to later)

1994 was possibly the best series ever for NSW. They had their hearts broken in Game 1 with THAT try, then the next two games were in Melbourne and Brisbane respectively. Coupled with Big Mal retiring, the Qlders were thinking the fairytale was already a formality. But Gus and the team showed their quality to fight back from that shattering to win 14-0 in Melbourne, then go to Lang Park and gatecrash the Origin farewell of Mal "The game of Rugby League has done nothing for me" Meninga. The player who DID get a fairytale Origin send-off was Benny Elias and it must've been a nice distraction from the shithouse season Balmain had (finished dead-last IIRC)

I've heard claims around here that 1995 was "fixed", but I don't buy it. I think the distraction of the Superleague war took its' toll on Gus, and I've since seen him say words to the effect that he regrets not managing that campaign better. I read in Freddy's book that the night before Game 3 in Brisbane, Chief went into Freddy's room wondering where the team was, finding out they were all at Treasury and them both agreeing they were in for a pasting. Fatty was Qld coach but many people claim Gillmeister was one running the squad that campaign. Credit to the Maroons for seeing their opportunity to hit a distracted NSW team, but I'm convinced that if it weren't for Superleague and even IF Qld had their SL-aligned players in, NSW would still have been too strong and made it 4 in a row.

1996 you could see Gus was a man on a mission and wanted to make a statement- and he did by whitewashing the series with the same 17 for all 3 games. 1995 and '96 summed up Qld over this decade- they could pull off the odd series win through fortunate circumstances or a missed conversion or two- but they didn't have the talent or the consistency to do it consistently.

Then was the odd year of 1997. It's hard to talk about the SL Tri-Series, even if I think the idea of involving the Kiwis could've strengthened NZRL as a whole long-term by giving them more games as a squad in Origin-like intensity. NSW won the tri-series thanks to Goldthorpe's 100th minute field goal, and the "two blues" likewise won the ARL series- but crowds were down and the whole series just didn't have the same feel to it. At least Tommy Raudonikis brought some old school toughness and fun into the campaign, though. Joey tells a story about being at John Singleton's house for a team dinner and very nearly being pressured (by a drunken Tommy and Singo) to eat a live koi fish from the indoor pond with the whole team watching on- until Singo's wife came in and told them off!

1998 was strange also- the full-strength squads were back anD the game was reunited. NSW and Qld lost the games they were expected to win and won the ones they were expected to lose. Qld came back from 23-0 down in Game 1 (KWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENSLANDAH!!! PASSION!!!! SPIRIT!!!!!!) to win late with Locky's conversion sealing it- but then up at Lang Park NSW came back to win the series and take it to the decider at what would turn out to be the last ever Origin match at the SFS. But by this stage NSW had been struck down with injuries to some of their regular squad, and Qld capitalised to claim the series in Sydney.

1999 was the opening of the brand new Olympic Stadium, Wayne Pearce coming on board as coach and the farewell of Laurie Daley after a decade of service to NSW (and in hindsight, he should've left it there). Qld won by a field goal in Game 1, before NSW drew the series up in Sydney before a record crowd of 88,000- and then back to Brisbane for the decider which finished in a 10-all draw. Somehow nobody in charge had ever contemplated what should happen in this not unbelievable scenario- so no extra time, no golden point, nothing. Instead the scenario literally was: "The series finished a draw....ok....well Qld won the shield last year....and NSW didn't win it this year....ok Qld, you can keep it". Bullshit. Qlders could crow about how they "won" it because "You cockroaches couldn't win the shield back off us" but this was such a rubbish argument. For semantics, should we have taken the shield off the QRL and had it locked it in a cupboard in Perth for a year? The culmination of this series left me with the same underwhelmed feeling as that years' GF between the Storm and Dragons- people went away talking about it for all the wrong reasons, and it was an anti-climax to see out the decade.

NSW well and truly made up for it in 2000 all hand-grenades blazing- but that's another story altogether...

billygilmore

Juniors
By Request- The Story Of The 90's:

Qld had dominated the late 80's. They won 8 in a row- not series, but games. Looking at the spine and the line-ups of those NSW teams they beat to the series in '87 and swept back to back in 1988 and '89, I put their feat above the sides who won 8 series from 2006-2013.

1990 was a turning point and a glimpse of what was to come for the next 15 years. For the first time a game went to Melbourne, NSW won the shield back under Jack Gibson (IIRC this was his last 1st grade coaching gig?) and as well as the seasoned veterans in the team you also had a young Laurie Daley plus a teenage Brad Fittler making his debut.

1991 was one of the best series ever- all 3 games were settled by 2 points, plus you had the iconic face-off between Wally and MG in the rain in Game 2, plus O'Conner's amazing sideline conversion to win the match. Game 3 was also the last time Wally would play for Qld, and this game highlighted how crucial goal kicking can be. Some of the misses that night are unbelievable, from both Mal and O'Conner. More accuracy off the boot and NSW could have won or even swept this series, that's how close it was. Also the only series Tim Sheens coached Origin.

1992 saw another mainstay in the forwards make his debut in the Chief, and also the arrival of Gus as coach. He was the perfect fit for a crop of NSW talent hitting their peak, also coinciding with Qld's 80's stars retiring from Origin and footy altogether. It paid off with NSW winning the series in '92 and backing up again the following year (although Qld could rightfully feel dudded after NSW scored from an offside kick in Game 2 of that '93 series, but even without that it would've been a draw and NSW would've "kept" the shield- a bullshit ruling I'll get to later)

1994 was possibly the best series ever for NSW. They had their hearts broken in Game 1 with THAT try, then the next two games were in Melbourne and Brisbane respectively. Coupled with Big Mal retiring, the Qlders were thinking the fairytale was already a formality. But Gus and the team showed their quality to fight back from that shattering to win 14-0 in Melbourne, then go to Lang Park and gatecrash the Origin farewell of Mal "The game of Rugby League has done nothing for me" Meninga. The player who DID get a fairytale Origin send-off was Benny Elias and it must've been a nice distraction from the shithouse season Balmain had (finished dead-last IIRC)

I've heard claims around here that 1995 was "fixed", but I don't buy it. I think the distraction of the Superleague war took its' toll on Gus, and I've since seen him say words to the effect that he regrets not managing that campaign better. I read in Freddy's book that the night before Game 3 in Brisbane, Chief went into Freddy's room wondering where the team was, finding out they were all at Treasury and them both agreeing they were in for a pasting. Fatty was Qld coach but many people claim Gillmeister was one running the squad that campaign. Credit to the Maroons for seeing their opportunity to hit a distracted NSW team, but I'm convinced that if it weren't for Superleague and even IF Qld had their SL-aligned players in, NSW would still have been too strong and made it 4 in a row.

1996 you could see Gus was a man on a mission and wanted to make a statement- and he did by whitewashing the series with the same 17 for all 3 games. 1995 and '96 summed up Qld over this decade- they could pull off the odd series win through fortunate circumstances or a missed conversion or two- but they didn't have the talent or the consistency to do it consistently.

Then was the odd year of 1997. It's hard to talk about the SL Tri-Series, even if I think the idea of involving the Kiwis could've strengthened NZRL as a whole long-term by giving them more games as a squad in Origin-like intensity. NSW won the tri-series thanks to Goldthorpe's 100th minute field goal, and the "two blues" likewise won the ARL series- but crowds were down and the whole series just didn't have the same feel to it. At least Tommy Raudonikis brought some old school toughness and fun into the campaign, though. Joey tells a story about being at John Singleton's house for a team dinner and very nearly being pressured (by a drunken Tommy and Singo) to eat a live koi fish from the indoor pond with the whole team watching on- until Singo's wife came in and told them off!

1998 was strange also- the full-strength squads were back anD the game was reunited. NSW and Qld lost the games they were expected to win and won the ones they were expected to lose. Qld came back from 23-0 down in Game 1 (KWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENSLANDAH!!! PASSION!!!! SPIRIT!!!!!!) to win late with Locky's conversion sealing it- but then up at Lang Park NSW came back to win the series and take it to the decider at what would turn out to be the last ever Origin match at the SFS. But by this stage NSW had been struck down with injuries to some of their regular squad, and Qld capitalised to claim the series in Sydney.

1999 was the opening of the brand new Olympic Stadium, Wayne Pearce coming on board as coach and the farewell of Laurie Daley after a decade of service to NSW (and in hindsight, he should've left it there). Qld won by a field goal in Game 1, before NSW drew the series up in Sydney before a record crowd of 88,000- and then back to Brisbane for the decider which finished in a 10-all draw. Somehow nobody in charge had ever contemplated what should happen in this not unbelievable scenario- so no extra time, no golden point, nothing. Instead the scenario literally was: "The series finished a draw....ok....well Qld won the shield last year....and NSW didn't win it this year....ok Qld, you can keep it". Bullshit. Qlders could crow about how they "won" it because "You cockroaches couldn't win the shield back off us" but this was such a rubbish argument. For semantics, should we have taken the shield off the QRL and had it locked it in a cupboard in Perth for a year? The culmination of this series left me with the same underwhelmed feeling as that years' GF between the Storm and Dragons- people went away talking about it for all the wrong reasons, and it was an anti-climax to see out the decade.

NSW well and truly made up for it in 2000 all hand-grenades blazing- but that's another story altogether...

Cheers mate, good read again. 90’s was a hard watch being a qld fan, blues were just so strong. Yeah I found the drawn series a bit of let down to, can’t believe they let it happen again just a few years later in 2002

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Cheers for posting, very enjoyable read. The Bellamy years were the lowest I have ever felt as a NSW fan. We had the complete wrong culture in the side & never looked like being competitive. There's no doubt he's one of the games greatest coaches but his origin record is conveniently over looked, he failed miserably.

Daley brought his losing culture & bonehead selections with him when he moved from selector to coach. Time & time again over the decade (07-17) I'd see the team announcement & just shake my head, I can remember the calls to get behind the team but with the same players continually being picked & failing it was really a struggle not to be negative. I can recall myself a couple of times almost wishing for us to be flogged so the team would hopefully get a clean out. The game 3 2016 win was the perfect example, we win on the bell in a dead rubber to save a white wash, only to repeat the same mistakes in 2017. If we lose all 3 games in '16 Daley probably gets the flick & we could have finally started the rebuild one year earlier. I've never been so frustrated/angry at a loss as I was after game 2 '17, it was so obvious we were going to get ambushed in game 3. I don't think even the most positive NSW fan thought we could come back & win the series after that second half performance in game 2.

Again, thanks for posting.

Reflector

Juniors
Cheers for posting, very enjoyable read. The Bellamy years were the lowest I have ever felt as a NSW fan. We had the complete wrong culture in the side & never looked like being competitive. There's no doubt he's one of the games greatest coaches but his origin record is conveniently over looked, he failed miserably.

Daley brought his losing culture & bonehead selections with him when he moved from selector to coach. Time & time again over the decade (07-17) I'd see the team announcement & just shake my head, I can remember the calls to get behind the team but with the same players continually being picked & failing it was really a struggle not to be negative. I can recall myself a couple of times almost wishing for us to be flogged so the team would hopefully get a clean out. The game 3 2016 win was the perfect example, we win on the bell in a dead rubber to save a white wash, only to repeat the same mistakes in 2017. If we lose all 3 games in '16 Daley probably gets the flick & we could have finally started the rebuild one year earlier. I've never been so frustrated/angry at a loss as I was after game 2 '17, it was so obvious we were going to get ambushed in game 3. I don't think even the most positive NSW fan thought we could come back & win the series after that second half performance in game 2.

Again, thanks for posting.

You know its' funny because when NSW scored at the death in Game 3 of that 2016 series I felt that same intense frustration as you. It was like Qld had done it to us instead. I was dead certain that if we got whitewashed, after the ridiculous leg-ups we'd got all night (and I can admit they were bullshit) then Laurie would've been sacked. Despite the Qlders bragging about winning 3-0, at least I could've gone to bed relieved knowing that a NSW squad beginning to bear fruit would be in better hands in 2017 against a Maroons team who were increasingly looking vulnerable. We were SO damn close, then the one game where I DIDN'T want them to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, they went and did it. It was a sick joke.

The following year I actually thought NSW would clinch the series in Game 3. Like as dumb as they were in Game 2, I figured it should be totally evident what needed to be fixed for the decider. They just had to go back to what'd worked so well for them in all of Game 1 and the first half of Game 2. Qld were bleeding in the water and JT was out- it was all set for us to finish the job we threw away in Sydney. I remember NSW scored their first try and Qld looked rattled- then Wade Graham does EXACTLY THE SAME f**kING STUPID STRIP ATTEMPT THAT HE DID ON GAGAI WITH 5 MINUTES TO GO IN GAME 2 THAT GOT QLD UP FIELD AND SET THEM UP FOR THE TRY THAT WON THEM THE GAME...and then it all fell apart.The killer was seeing Laurie being interviewed just after half time. He had the look of a beaten man. I knew then we were done. I can't think of another series that Qld have arsed more than that 2017 series.

Like I've said, it's a testament to Freddy that after 2017 I never wanted to see Ferguson or Graham in a NSW jersey ever again, yet they both come into this squad and apparently were positive uplifting influences in camp, which reflected in what they produced out on the field for Games 2 and 3. Furthermore, the way I felt when Gagai raced in to score with 4 minutes remaining in Sydney 2 years ago vs Papalii racing in to score with 4 minutes remaining in Sydney last week was notably different. With the former I got this weak, panicky feeling like 'How the f**k can this be happening?'. Whereas last week it was just irritation, along the lines of 'This is bullshit- it shouldn't even be a contest by now, we're a level above them'. But even with just those few minutes left, I felt like we had the players and the self-belief to do it and that there wouldn't be dumb shit. That Fergo played such a big part in the try that sealed it would only have been more hilarious if Teddy had thrown one last pass inside for Pearce to score it!

Latest posts