What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Some “Champagne Stick” in the presser tonight. 4 out 5 texers.

Got on the front foot early and didn’t take it off the gas once.

“I promote the game more than anyone out there”. Gold.

Followed up for the 1-2 combo by sticking it to one journo “so don’t put that shit on me!”

Gave fair warning to anyone even thinking about calling Cotric’s spear-tackle, what it was, a “spear-tackle”, that they don’t know anything and shouldn’t be anywhere near our game.

Savage Stick Man right there.

Then brought it home strong with some various whinges about where the Raiders were hard done by, while still buttering up the match reviewers on starting to get it right.

I swooned when he said Cotric was “hurtin”.

Ideally he still could have kicked some furniture but I think he’s keeping his powder dry.

I’m genuinely excited about what Sticky could bring to the finals.
Good to see the great man return to form.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Same margin as Stick vs Mary as player. An atg & an also ran chook raffle winner.
Mary can't coach for shit, but he could play footy.
And lol, Ricky said it was apparently not a spear tackle, so we may as well just let Nicky boi off :joy:

BadnMean

Juniors
Mary can't coach for shit, but he could play footy.
And lol, Ricky said it was apparently not a spear tackle, so we may as well just let Nicky boi off :joy:
As I said, same margin. Mary was a decent centre but dime a dozen really. Rick was an atg half- was doing all the things commentators frothed over Joey doing with kicks about a decade earlier & with the leather ball to boot (pun intended). Let alone better passing game etc.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I think Stick didn't want the media building the narrative that it was a spear tackle because of the connotations it brings. Deliberate and designed to injure, neither of which Cotrics tackle were. With how reactionary NRL admin are, he was just looking out for his player.

Besides, he had to fire up the genny to get the hurt shed running for just one bloke. After a win! No wonder Ricky was pissed.

Quicksilver

Bench
I think Stick didn't want the media building the narrative that it was a spear tackle because of the connotations it brings. Deliberate and designed to injure, neither of which Cotrics tackle were. With how reactionary NRL admin are, he was just looking out for his player.

Besides, he had to fire up the genny to get the hurt shed running for just one bloke. After a win! No wonder Ricky was pissed.

It's not a bad tactic. The NRL are very reactive to "the narrative".

Toddles likes to draw lines in the sand under narratives.

nick87

Coach

it's 1000% what he's trying to do
He's trying to set the narrative about how this is going to get covered, and shit, if someone writes a column about how out of line stuart was to attack the journo, and not another think piece on how the book needs to be thrown at Cotric, so much the better.

Just a coach trying to help his young player avoid a massive suspension

If only that journo had the agates to answer The Stickman honestly and directly when he asked him wether he thought it was a spear-tackle.

“Did you think it was a spear-tackle?!”

“Well yeah, I have two functioning eye balls, so yes. Definitely a spear-tackle”.

4D944CBE-5059-4F34-AB88-9527ADE9C517.jpeg

Nikola Cotric was just being overexcited and inspired by the massive victory of his fellow Serb Novak Djokovic at Wimbledon. Nikola was lost in his ethnonationalist fantasies. He needs to be better understood and treated leniently, by giving him a warning and a $500 fine, and offering him psychotherapy. If he does a dangerous tackle again then he can be given a stiffer fine of $1000 and a two week suspension.

Sticky understands his State of Origin winger and wants to protect him, so that Nikola’s standing in the NRL will not be diminished for the important years ahead.

BadnMean

Juniors
Credit where it's due, bringing Super League to the ACT seems to be paying off for him

Raiders have traditionally been best when being a bit innovative in recruiting just a few years ahead of the curve in that direction- started our best period by bringing down choice Qld talent like Mal, Belcher, Walters boys etc to the NSWRL & allying that to our country kids. Then went to NZ more early than most with Todd, Pongia, Wiki, Lomax, Hoppe + Nadruku wildcard from rugby (R Stuart too).

So Ricky & recruitment have shown a great eye for talent & then gone back again for a successful double down once it worked in England. The skill has been in not taking the easy, obvious choices at big dollars (Burgiii, Widdop, L Thompson- who is yet to play NRL but looks Poms best middle) but in taking relatively moneyball options- Hodgo while he was still not even Englands number 1 hooker, Bateman who was too small, Sutton from outside the England squad etc.

I'm assuming G Williams will go alright too given the inside word the English boys will be able to add to any future recruiting ideas.