What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Cricket World Cup 2019

Blair

Coach
Gutted.
Boult stepping on rope so costly when he could have lobbed it easily to team mate.
The 4 off the return throw off the bat seems wrong.

Not sure why they go back to boundaries. Should just go to another over till a winner. Batsman out can't return.

The 'four' off the deflection sounds like it shoud've been just that, four runs. But they got six. That's the rule but it doesn't sound right, the ball never cleared the rope.

Dizzying Monday morning!

JJ

Immortal
The 'four' off the deflection sounds like it shoud've been just that, four runs. But they got six. That's the rule but it doesn't sound right, the ball never cleared the rope.

Dizzying Monday morning!
Trainspotters are suggesting it should have only been 5...

Weird though, that goes in a gap and not to the boundary and the bats don't run...

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Thinking about retiring from watching sport after this morning lol

And to think the only reason Stokes is playing for England was because of Rugby League

Dizzying Monday morning!
They ran 2 and it counts basically like 4 over throws, so 6 in total.
I feel like it should be a dead ball if it comes off the bat again.

Rich102

Staff member
How come after 50 overs scores can be tied but after the Super Over the chasing team has to score more runs?
Seems a bit random.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Stayed up all night to watch it, what a great game, see sawing the whole way through. When we had them 4 down I thought we had it, but credit to them and that bloody kiwi Stokes!
We had enough opportunities to win it for ourselves, but that deflection that cost us is crazy. When was the last time you've seen that? Honestly can't say I've seen that in a long time, and for it to happen in the world cup final in the final over? Crazy stuff.
I felt for Guppy too at the end, got a great Yorker and unfortunately not many of our boys could have done something better than he did with tjat ball

JJ

Immortal
Seems like there's an argument that the 6 should have been a 5, as it's from when the ball is thrown...

Aside though, just disappointing that apparently we "lost" when we didn't really...

We had no luck at all - the deflection was freakish, Boult's first ball, Boult's catch...

Guptill's review was terrible, he and Nicholls f**ked that royally and it affected Taylor... that was one thing in our control that we should have done better - Williamson will never admit it but I reckon the other thing was in the Super Over Neesham and Williamson would have been a better idea. I get that everyone likes Gup and hopes he's going to come right, but he has no confidence with the bat - Williamson's ability to hit gaps etc is second to none - with the tournament on the line I kind of wanted him there

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Seems like there's an argument that the 6 should have been a 5, as it's from when the ball is thrown...

Aside though, just disappointing that apparently we "lost" when we didn't really...

We had no luck at all - the deflection was freakish, Boult's first ball, Boult's catch...

Guptill's review was terrible, he and Nicholls f**ked that royally and it affected Taylor... that was one thing in our control that we should have done better - Williamson will never admit it but I reckon the other thing was in the Super Over Neesham and Williamson would have been a better idea. I get that everyone likes Gup and hopes he's going to come right, but he has no confidence with the bat - Williamson's ability to hit gaps etc is second to none - with the tournament on the line I kind of wanted him there

Yeah I would have preferred Kane for that last ball too, but I think even he would have struggled to get that one away, was a perfect Yorker just outside off, with his field set perfectly for that ball

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The thing with Kane is that he isn’t really a ball one man. We needed somebody with the confidence to scoop the Yorker but that’s a bloody gutsy call in that situation.

Taufel has confirmed that an error was made with the 6, should have been a 5, and not only that, Stokes should have been at the non strikers end

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The other thing is that they knew at that point they were chasing 15- they needed someone who could go over the field, not through it. CDG might have been my other choice.

Blair

Coach
England also had a great advantage in the Super Over, as Stokes was backing up from being 84 not out.

Blair

Coach
Some friends came into work today to commiserate and discuss. I gave them the Apollo Creed response from Rocky III, 'I need to be alone'. With humour, of course.

Blair

Coach
They ran 2 and it counts basically like 4 over throws, so 6 in total.
I feel like it should be a dead ball if it comes off the bat again.

Yeah, I'm thinking more clearly now. I get the 'over-throw' rule.

Thanks to everyone for making this thread so alive throughout this memorable, yet ultimately, heartbreaking tournament.

The camaraderie and insight was great. Bring on India '23!

JJ

Immortal
Taylor got dudded by Guptill and Neesham wasting our appeal, he was not out. (and Roy was out first ball)
Nicholls...

Yep - that was a moment we'd want back, so too Boult's catch - he should have been more aware, ad Guptill should have reiterated it in the strongest loudest terms... and I still don't get riding the Gup train in the Super Over - he's a great fella, but streaky as f**k, and toast in that tournament - you put your best player out there with Neesham - the Neesham choice was inspired, but with the game on the line, I back Williamson to find a gap

And old Marais is usually good, but he's no Kettleborough... that was so out it wasn't funny (and Taylor was not out) - f**k ball tracker, and f**k Erasmus...

f**k the stupid rule - it was a tie

Right - enough whining from me

Latest posts