What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

merahputih

Juniors
Even though a lot of the contributions on The Roar are signed off with nicknames, etc, I have a conspiracy theory that they are actually written by professional sports journos who don't want to rock the boat and lose their cosy relationship with coaches like Mary: the style is too professional. Good though that these views are getting wider exposure.

SEAT 1A

Bench
You know what , it has come to this , I don't care that we are losing . What really gets on my nerves is the way the Coach and Management are treating us fans , with no respect at all ..... They are gutless clueless lot of ( ) will leave it blank as I will not lower myself to their standards .....

Agree hazzbeen.

After re-signing and last night loss against twelve men our club are run by sad, self absorbed management living in there own bubble of "I'm OK" attitude and not giving a stuff about winning footy games.

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor not giving up on title hopes despite dismal display
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 14 Jul 2019, 10:04 PM
walterbrad-head.png

After venting his frustration at St George Illawarra’s 36-14 loss to 12-man Canberra outfit at WIN Stadium on Sunday night, Paul McGregor still believes the Dragons can win the grand final.

With prop James Graham due to return next week from a broken leg followed by captain Gareth Widdop after shoulder surgery, St George Illawarra are nearing full strength at the right end of the season but it may be too late after a performance McGregor labelled their "worst of the season".

McGregor estimates the Dragons need to win six of their remaining eight games to make the finals and when asked if that was possible, he said: "Absolutely. I think we can win it."

However, the St George Illawarra coach qualified his comments by saying the team would need to improve dramatically on their lacklustre performance against Canberra in the team’s last home game of the season at their Wollongong base.

"I know that sounds unrealistic sitting here right now but that is how I approach every training session and every game," McGregor said.

"If we can bring our best performance we can win games and we can win a few in a row to play finals. If we are healthy, look out. But we have got a long way to go after tonight because that was disappointing."

Cotric sent off for spear tackle

With so much at stake against the Raiders, he was deeply disappointed the Dragons missed 54 tackles, committed 10 errors and conceded seven penalties.

After fighting back from 26-0 down before Raiders centre Nick Cotric was sent off in the 59th minute, the Dragons failed to take advantage of an extra-man advantage and conceded two tries before Matt Dufty raced 80 metres to score just before the siren sounded.

A win would have kept St George Illawarra two points behind eighth-placed Penrith, who they play at Panthers Stadium on Friday night, whereas the Dragons are now 14th ahead of only Canterbury and Gold Coast.

"I am not going to defend that performance at all, that was the worst performance of the season," McGregor said.

"It was just one on one missed tackles by our edges that led to tries, then some disciplinary areas around our penalties and fundamental errors that shouldn’t be happening.

"We have had our distractions this year but we had enough talent on the field today to win that game and we didn’t go close so we have to own up to that performance and change that because that is not acceptable.

remote.axd

Sign up to a FREE NRL Account and unlock this content. Creating an NRL Account is easy and will give you access to NRLTV, featured editorials, special ticketing offers, free competitions and much more.

Already have an NRL Account?
Not sure? Learn more about NRL Account

"It was the last game at WIN for the year and this is where they train every day, the importance of the occasion, we had the boys who played Origin, we had Tariq [Sims] back, we put in a good performance the week before and only lost by a penalty goal against Melbourne without nine players.

"We had every reason to go after the game tonight and we just didn’t.

"I think it was a performance that we have all got to take ownership for, the coaches and especially myself. I am at the forefront of that so we have all got to improve."

Panthers v Dragons
What will be the result of their round 18 clash?

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...ing-up-on-title-hopes-despite-dismal-display/

Bench
The damage that McIdiot and the Board have done to our once mighty team will take years to correct.
We will never be able to attract players of first grade standard, of course there are journeymen players like Allgood and Lats which offer nothing and actually stop younger players coming through our system.
We need someone like Gould to come here with the full backing of the Board to assess where we are and where are we going to restore the pride and the culture of our club.
Do I think that will happen, No I don’t.
Like someone mentioned before about supporters like me who have been supporting the team since The sixties, my time is running out to once again see our Team a force once again.

getsmarty

Immortal
Why Mary and his little lambs have got to go

The Great One

Roar Rookie
13 hours ago

After the Dragons fell to another embarrassing home defeat with a near full-strength squad, serious questions need to be asked about the future of the club in the hands of coach Paul McGregor.

While the excuse that this season has been plagued with off-field dramas that have hampered on-field success might seem to hold water at first, when put up to scrutiny, that argument is filled with holes.

Gareth Widdop being injured is not ideal but the switching of Widdop and Corey Norman at fullback and five-eighth was not working anyway, and was a stupid decision to begin with. Jack De Belin being taken away is another unavoidable problem but Blake Lawrie has been a capable makeshift replacement.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Email
Those are the two long-term outs that have affected the side this year, along with a smattering of smaller injuries that should be expected during a season of full-contact sport.

The real problem lies deeper and is systemic within the Dragons administration. Mary has now been at the helm of the club for longer than any other coach in St George Illawarra Dragons history. The side has strike power across the park, which was reflected in the recent Origin series where six Dragons – the second most of any club – were chosen to represent their state.

So why is this stability and quality not coming together to form a competitive side?

It’s simple: the quality in the support and coaching staff simply aren’t up to scratch, and almost never have been at the Dragons. Mary might say all the right things at the press conferences but the fact is he is simply not getting the team to perform to their best at a consistent basis.

His rotation of the forwards has been downright confusing and his insistence on trying to turn Tyson Frizell into a middle forward for parts of the game is rage-inducing.

Paul-McGregor-755x515.jpg

(Photo by Matt Blyth/Getty Images)

Advertisement
The fact he continues to keep his job – and even got an extension – can be put down to the fact that he is ‘one of the good old boys’ and a club legend himself.

And it’s not just him. Mary’s little lambs include Ian Millward, director of rugby league pathways and former Illawarra Steelers junior, Dean Young, assistant coach and former Dragons player, Ben Hornby, assistant coach and Dragons captain during their 2010 premiership, and Mathew Head, assistant coach and former Dragons player.

It is not unusual for clubs to offer roles to former players, and by and large it is a good thing to provide for loyal servants of the team.

However, when these jobs are senior roles and the team is not performing, then questions have to be asked about the legitimacy of these positions and whether the right men have the job.

The Dragons are at an important point in their history. They have a good side and, with a few good decisions and recruitments, could be in a premiership window soon.

They have also recently secured their financial future, which means they can make a big push and establish a legacy that might one day be mentioned alongside the great sides of the 1950s and ’60s.

However, to do this, the Dragons need to be ruthless and treat their coaching staff like a business, rather than a pathway for past players.

Go after one of the great coaches and get him to bring in his own support staff.

Since 2001, the Dragons have only ever had one coach that wasn’t a past player, and he won them a premiership.

Imagine what they could do if they got another.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/07/15/why-mary-and-his-little-lambs-have-got-to-go/

Your club will just spend a few years in the wilderness until you cop the next cap winter.

Then a few more years in repair.

So I’d say 4 years of further pain and suffering.

The squad are not playing to their potential and that’s a coaching and personnel issue.

For how many minutes did they want to play against 12? Where was the coaching to exploit that massive gap in a game of inches?

Over at tigers we have much worse football players than you guys, but most of the time they will fight.

I feel for you. It’s a bad situation.

Last edited:
Gee I’m so glad this club decided to re-sign Mary so early in the season. They must feel so intelligent because I reckon the Titans would have snapped Mary up straight away. The demand in the NRL for Mary is just too high. I’m so happy we have smart people at this club that look to the future and realise that Mary needs to be locked up long term.
Since the extension 2 and 8 record speaks for itself.
All the spin in the world can't disguise the Board's second massive disastrous decision to re-sign McGregor.
Johnston looks a complete fool with all his supportive rhetoric.
Lightweight yes man masquerading as a CEO of a professional football club.

Latest posts