What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the Newcastle Knights finish in 2019?

Where will the Newcastle Knights finish in 2019?

• Total voters

slotmachine

First Grade
If we miss out by a game of two it will be putrid losses against Titans and Dogs at fault.

They are comfortably the two worst sides in the comp and any legit top 8 side should be accounting for them easily.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I actually have a feeling Ponga will be tearing teams apart for the rest of the season ala Hayne 2009..
The way Tedesco played in game 3 and Watene-zelezniak started so many sets well for the dogs last week reminded me how important a fullback can be. We have really been missing Ponga.

Last edited:

Knight Vision

First Grade
The variables are the teams just above and below us - Parra, Penrith, Sharks. They have harder draws on the run home than we do, but are best placed ( draw wise ) to threaten us.

We need to hold onto the favorable PD which is still 5th best in the comp. If we lose games lets hope its not by much.

Old dog

Juniors
We have to beat the teams in contention with us, wins against sides 2 above and below are like 4 points rather than two, after this week win or lose its like semi final time with a win getting you closer and a loss back with the pack walking the tight rope, no safety net.
Of course a win this week is like a bonus.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Interesting comments from the 8th.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/is-mitchell-pearce-a-one-man-team/d68563ea-2f54-4561-bf17-78497fe33693

"If you control Pearce and shut him down, you shut [down] the Knights," Johns said.

"They are getting nothing out of dummy-half (Danny Levi) and I don't think Kurt Mann is a five-eighth."

During the Knights' six-game winning streak through rounds 7-13, Pearce had five tries, 10 try assists, and 10 line-break assists. From a pure play-making perspective, those are elite and league-leading numbers.

However, through his last four appearances, he hasn't crossed the try-line, and has a total of three line-breaks and try assists combined.

Clearly, something has to give, and Pearce himself admitted that "the next four games" will decide his team's season.

Old dog

Juniors
We play 3 teams currently above us, Manly away, Eels at home and Panthers away they are running 5th-7th.
We play 4 games that teams are currently below us, Tigers x 2, Cowboys and Titans who are running 12th, 13th and 16th.
Of the 3 directly below us Warriors have the worst draw playing 6 above + Cronulla, Brisbane play 4 above + Titans, Cowboys and Bulldogs, Cronulla play 4 above + Cowboys, Dragons and Tigers.
Based on that can’t see those 3, Warriors, Brisbane and Cronulla winning more than 4-5 each so if we match them we should make final 8, 26 pts might, 28 probably but 30 will.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Season on the line next week against the Mongs

Didn’t think we would be saying that 6 weeks ago

Never a dull moment supporting this club

Burns

First Grade
Season on the line next week against the Mongs

Didn’t think we would be saying that 6 weeks ago

Never a dull moment supporting this club
If Brisbane and Warriors win tomorrow it will be an absolute dog fight for 8th spot.

I think we will crash out to 10th

Spot On

Coach
Plenty of games left to win.

3 games against teams above us on the ladder and 3 against teams below us so it's a pretty fair run. Definitely could be a lot worse.

If we are good enough, we can make the 8.

However, if we f**k it all up, and we have only Brailey coming next season... will 2020 be much different?

Yosh

Coach

3 games against teams above us on the ladder and 3 against teams below us so it's a pretty fair run. Definitely could be a lot worse.

However, if we f**k it all up, and we have only Brailey coming next season... will 2020 be much different?

I don't think the troops are an issue to be honest. Don't want to brag Brown but Bellemy wouldn't have this squad mid table to be honest.

Spot On

Coach
I don't think the troops are an issue to be honest. Don't want to brag Brown but Bellemy wouldn't have this squad mid table to be honest.

You can bag Brown if you want.

It is a forum.

You can express your views/opinions/thoughts etc.

Believe it or not, that is what League Unlimited exists for.

Don't feel uneasy expressing your thoughts Yosh - ever.

As a Knights supporter and someone who supports with both their time and money, you are allowed those views. It is a free country. You won't be lined up and shot.

You may make a couple others feel uncomfortable but.... WGAF!

Saying a better coach would have this squad higher on the ladder is hinting we are underachieving - very politely.
Not too many would disagree.

Good thing is we CAN make the finals if we want it enough. Plenty of opportunities are left. We are only missing 1 player that would make a big difference - Fitzy. So no excuses personnel wise.

Last edited:

Silent Knight

First Grade

In saying that though I consider hooker to be the most important position on the field. Every attacking play starts with quality ball from the dummy half and you can't have good ruck defence without a hooker who is willing to put his body on the line. Our defence was watertight in the middle during the golden years because we had Bedsy there ripping in for every game. If Brailey fires for us in conjunction with Watson, we may see a big improvement.

As for this year, here is how I will grade the team depending on how far we go. This is based on the assumption that we finish 5-8 as I think the opportunity to make the top 4 has already passed us by:
  • Miss the finals: complete and utter failure
  • Make the first week of semi finals: pass
  • Make the second week of semi finals: credit
  • Make the preliminary final: distinction
  • Make the grand final: high distinction
  • Win the premiership: give every player a PhD and the keys to the city.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I consider hooker to be the most important position on the field. Every attacking play starts with quality ball from the dummy half
indeed. It's also a position we need to fix along with a 5/8.

We have 1/2 a great spine and the other 1/2 mediocrity at best.