What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"South East QLD Titans"

flippikat

Bench
GC moving to brisbane doesn’t really help Perth’s cause IMO. The game needs 2 teams to create more content for broadcasters to justify a rise in the tv deals. They’d still have to create 2 teams even if the Titans move to Brisbane IMO.

Moving the Titans to Brisbane throws up a host of questions for the next expansion.

As it is with the Titans on the GC, you'd expect Perth (probably the Pitrates, unless some other bid blows them away with a knockout business case) & Brisbane 2 (whatever bid is strongest) to be the 'no brainer' 17th and 18th clubs.

With 16 clubs that includes 2 Brisbane teams (GC moved, maybe FULLY rebranded as well - logo, colours, jerseys, the lot), a Perth team is still a no-brainer for club 17, but #18 ain't so clear cut anymore.

In that scenario, does the NRL want to introduce a 3rd Brisbane team with the next TV deal? I would suggest not.. they need to give the newly moved team time to establish it's brand in Brisbane. So that opens the doors for all comers for club #18 - Wellington, Christchurch, Adelaide, Melbourne 2, Other locations in Queensland... and possibly even the Central Coast. Of course, one of those prospective locations *may* have had Sydney teams relocate there by then.. but still, that 18th spot is very wide open for many markets to bid for.

That could be a great result for the NRL. They don't have to agonise over the best "2nd club strategy" for Brisbane (do they pick a city-wide concept akin to the Bombers, or a suburban-based bid like Ipswich or Redcliffe?).. and they get the chance for a bid process where the bids come from different cities instead of all being from the same market.

T-Boon

Coach
Golden State Warriors is a succesful name in American sport.
Maybe the Titans could be the Sunshine State Titans.
(South East Queensland is not good).

ram raid

Bench
Moving the Titans to Brisbane throws up a host of questions for the next expansion.

As it is with the Titans on the GC, you'd expect Perth (probably the Pitrates, unless some other bid blows them away with a knockout business case) & Brisbane 2 (whatever bid is strongest) to be the 'no brainer' 17th and 18th clubs.

With 16 clubs that includes 2 Brisbane teams (GC moved, maybe FULLY rebranded as well - logo, colours, jerseys, the lot), a Perth team is still a no-brainer for club 17, but #18 ain't so clear cut anymore.

In that scenario, does the NRL want to introduce a 3rd Brisbane team with the next TV deal? I would suggest not.. they need to give the newly moved team time to establish it's brand in Brisbane. So that opens the doors for all comers for club #18 - Wellington, Christchurch, Adelaide, Melbourne 2, Other locations in Queensland... and possibly even the Central Coast. Of course, one of those prospective locations *may* have had Sydney teams relocate there by then.. but still, that 18th spot is very wide open for many markets to bid for.

That could be a great result for the NRL. They don't have to agonise over the best "2nd club strategy" for Brisbane (do they pick a city-wide concept akin to the Bombers, or a suburban-based bid like Ipswich or Redcliffe?).. and they get the chance for a bid process where the bids come from different cities instead of all being from the same market.

I honestly just can't see a second Brisbane team working. The Broncos are just such a huge brand up there. The Cowboys took a long time to win fans over from the locals. Even now, 1/4 of the fans at 1300TEETH are wearing broncs jerseys.They are 200km away. It was really lucky that Thurston did his thing up there. If it wasn't for that I'm not sure the club would have been so successful

Diesel

Coach
I honestly just can't see a second Brisbane team working. The Broncos are just such a huge brand up there. The Cowboys took a long time to win fans over from the locals. Even now, 1/4 of the fans at 1300TEETH are wearing broncs jerseys.They are 200km away. It was really lucky that Thurston did his thing up there. If it wasn't for that I'm not sure the club would have been so successful
For every Broncos fan, there’s another Brisbanite that hates them.
Plenty of room for a Brisbane 2.

T-Boon

Coach

You think Townsville is 200km from Brisbane?

jim_57

Staff member

What?

toomuchsoup

Juniors
If they did semi-relocate, I can’t see people from Brisbane getting behind the Titans brand. They have no identity and have changed their jersey far too frequently. New name and new identity seems a better option, but then that’s 10+ years wasted and another Gold Coast brand dead. I really don’t know what the answer is

‘South Queensland Bulls’ wearing black and yellow or black and brown
There’s too many blue teams and light blue isn’t exactly a Queensland colour

Bulls vs Broncos
Bulls vs Cowboys
The rivalries make themselves!

I can see it

T-Boon

Coach
I am starting to like the idea. They should aim to be a thorn in the Broncos side. Start calling themselves "Queenslands team". Sign Izzy Folaou.

ReddFelon

Juniors
If they did semi-relocate, I can’t see people from Brisbane getting behind the Titans brand. They have no identity and have changed their jersey far too frequently. New name and new identity seems a better option, but then that’s 10+ years wasted and another Gold Coast brand dead. I really don’t know what the answer is

Bulls vs Broncos
Bulls vs Cowboys

I can see it

Black and Yellow, South Queensland Wasps.

ram raid

Bench

Bulls vs Broncos
Bulls vs Cowboys

I can see it

+1

Maybe they should just let dying things die. It's evolution, baby.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
might be another chance for me to see the Cows play, otherwise I don't think anyone in the city will give a toss

terrible idea

Travitoh

First Grade
Golden State Warriors is a succesful name in American sport.
Maybe the Titans could be the Sunshine State Titans.
(South East Queensland is not good).

Steph Curry is a successful name in sport.
Golden State Warriors were on par with Gold Coast Titans before he arrived.

Latest posts