What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Reynolds - GONER

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Josh Reynolds has been given permission to talk to other clubs and will leave anyone will take him.

I have heard first hand that the Tigers are willing to tip in up to 75% of his contract to get rid of him. This equates to approximately 600k of his 800k contract.

I can’t imagine too many NRL clubs would want to take him. A return to the Bulldogs or a move to the Super League is how best bet.

I think it’s an unfortunate but good move that is necessary to progress the club.

Your thoughts?

Front-Rower

First Grade
NRL.com article states he has been told he can leave because Marshall wants to play on. Joke of a club.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/17/tigers-tell-reynolds-hes-free-to-find-a-new-club/

“The meeting came after veteran playmaker Benji Marshall strongly indicated to the club that he will run around again in 2020.”

“The Tigers don't want to force him out of the club and have told Reynolds he will be given every opportunity to reclaim his position in the NRL side, however it seems unlikely he will be the club's first choice No.6 next season.”

Tigerm

First Grade
I don't think the club will gain much with the $200k left (if true). That's old WT's form, can't see this with current management.
Benji would have a year left at best.
So I wonder if they have a plan for after Benji in 2021?

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't think the club will gain much with the $200k left (if true). That's old WT's form, can't see this with current management.
Benji would have a year left at best.
So I wonder if they have a plan for after Benji in 2021?

This is true. Cleary signed some real shockers though and maybe they just have to unwind these positions as much as they can. The Dogs had to get rid of Woods, Mbye and Klemmer and that is after getting rid of Reynolds. They probably only had to pay to get rid of Woods and Mbye though.

Maybe $200k is better than nothing if Reynolds is going to continue on for another 2 seasons as he has for the first 2 seasons.

Why does that make us a joke of a club. Benji has been playing out of his skin and Reynolds has been ordinary.

The club massively stuffed up signing him.
FMD 05, can you let up -
Reynolds has been ordinary
ordinary performances? No, when the poor bugger has played he has been outstanding. You seem to confuse the fact that he has been very unfortunate with injury and labeling that as ordinary. That'has been bad luck.

massively stuffed up signing him
the only issue was perhaps a 100k or 2 over but at the time they needed someone like Josh in the team. He is one of the most competitive players you could find.

From the article,

“He is too good a player not to be playing in the top grade somewhere.”
Ben Ikin believes Reynolds would be a handy pick up for a team that is trying to improve their culture on and off the field.

“He would be a great addition if you are trying to build a culture at a club he is a great club man,” Ikin said.
I think Ben Ikin may know a thing or two.

“If you get him at the right price he is the ultimate competitor and I stake a lot on what James Graham thinks about his teammates and he holds Josh Reynolds in the highest regard.

“When Reynolds was leaving the Bulldogs to go to the Tigers and the things that Graham said about him, not that I wasn’t already sold, but it just stamped it.”

super_coach

First Grade
Wow paying up to 75% of his freight to play elsewhere. So that will free up about 200g to replace him. Your not going to get a world beater for that money, but I guess if you get a player who is available for selection most weeks your in front

leaguelegend21

Juniors
It’s also a factor that the freed up 200k can be used as extra funds to buy a player we may otherwise miss out on then it’s worth it.

I think we may get 300-400 somewhere in England we can hope.

With regards to the whole situation - Reynolds has been injury prone and frankly he isn’t as good as Benji. It’s nobodies fault, he’s a terrific person and solid player but he’s not the best option in the position. Benji will play next year and then by 2021, Josh will be 32 and won’t have played solid first grade in five years making keeping him seem nonsensical.

In 2021, I think we will go out to market again for a young half or blood Madden through.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
If Benji kicks on next season, he will miss games through injury. As he has done this year and last. What are our backup options?

It seems mental to kick in a substantial portion of Reynolds' salary at another club. He could go back to the Dogs, or maybe Penrith or Titans or somewhere for a decent enough salary you'd think.

But this is the Tigers. Kings of one step forward, infinity steps backwards theory.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
If Benji kicks on next season, he will miss games through injury. As he has done this year and last. What are our backup options?

It seems mental to kick in a substantial portion of Reynolds' salary at another club. He could go back to the Dogs, or Maybe Penrith or Titans or someone for a decent enough salary you'd think.

But this is the Tigers. Kings of one step forward, infinity steps backwards theory.

Fair point but let’s take a close look.

This year Benji has missed 4 games through injury and last year he missed 3. This is certainly on the low end as far as halves are concerned - Pearce, Cleary, Maloney, Reynolds, Cronk et al have all missed more in the same period.

Given that he only misses a few games a year, the club feels that carrying a replacement on 800k is futile. The backup plan is to groom Madden effectively for an FG role. Having Reynolds too could effect that chain of development from the established halves to the future half.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
I can also tell you that I highly highly doubt any NRL club besides the Bulldogs will take him.

While he is seen as a great clubman, clubs view him as injury prone, untalented and unfit having not played consistent grade since 2016. Whether this is true or not, it’s what clubs see and it makes our decision to pay huge coin for him all the more curious.

Latest posts