What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

blacksafake

First Grade
How very, very far our standards have fallen.

It's not as simple as we 'won a final last year' so we can be satisfied with a poor follow up season, but if you have no investment in the team than that seems to be the sentiment.

Gould is right about one thing - he is in no danger of losing his job. That's the real issue.

I'm so glad the energy is positive and so tight-knit. It doesn't show one iota on the field.

I really miss the days when we expected to be at the very least, in the grand final.
This post is :100: true

Let's break this down even further.

Thanks to TruSaint in another thread who mentioned we have only won 10 of our past 26 games.

Just did some research and if you look at the final 8 Rounds last year after all teams have had the byes and the first 16 rounds this year (total of 24 games each team not including finals) the Titans have the worse record only winning 6 games from 24.
Have a guess which team is second worse with only 9 wins from past 24 games.
Yes it's us, equal with the Bullgrubs.
The next closest is at 11 wins.

That means the past 12 months we are the second worst team in the Comp.
The team that finished last just sacked there Coach.

grouch

First Grade
Dragons coach Paul McGregor's job is safe, says Phil Gould

WRITTEN BYSPORTING NEWS
LEAGUE
ST. GEORGE-ILLAWARRA DRAGONS
LEAGUE

Despite the growing fan demands for Paul McGregor to be sacked, Phil Gould feels the St George Illawarra Dragons coach is in no "danger whatsoever".

The results-hungry Dragons army has long been disgruntled with McGregor at the helm but their desire to see him axed ramped up following last Sunday's embarrassing 36-14 loss to the Canberra Raiders.

And with only six wins this year, the media has begun asking questions of McGregor's credentials, particularly after the Gold Coast Titans cut ties with Garth Brennan over the weekend.

MORE: Mark Carroll lambasts Dragons players over lack of effort

But Gould gained an insight into St George Illawarra's inner sanctum during a recent event and believes McGregor, who signed a two-year extension in April, is very safe in his position.

"I actually went to a trivia luncheon down at Wollongong a couple of Fridays ago, it was a tribute to Paul McGregor," Gould told the Six Tackles With Gus podcast.

"They were raising money for a very worthy cause but the theme of the lunch was a tribute to Paul McGregor and all his ex-coaches and teammates and players came to speak on his behalf.

"Because I'd coached him in Origin I got an invite to come down and what I found in that room that included all the old St George and old Illawarra people and all the people around the club, it's a really tight-knit club.

"A really great atmosphere, great enthusiasm and a lot of love for the coach. I don't think internally there's any pressure on Paul McGregor that might even be hinted on from the outside."

Dragons back-rower Tariq Sims on Wednesday said the players needed to shoulder the responsibility for the team's recent form, not McGregor.

And that seems to be the thinking of those in power at the Dragons, with Gould confident the mentor is not even close to having to fight for his job.

"People look at the results of late and they go, 'Well, the coach will end up getting the blame and they'll move him on', because that's what we do in rugby league history," Gould said.

"I didn't feel that when I was in that room down there at the luncheon. He's a very highly respected and regarded person within the organisation. He's played for them, he's coached them, he was involved in various roles before he became a coach.

"I don't think Paul McGregor is in any danger whatsoever."
I have no doubt whatsoever that this is true, and I want to vomit.

Gould and his bullshiz propaganda, trying to run the league and tell us right from wrong.

Well listen Gus, here’s the truth. Sgi is on its last legs mate.

It’s fans are hurting, they feel empty, embarrassed and humiliated....Just ask one.

Remember what fans are Gus?!

I will remind you..we are the game.

All these sgi fans want is some ticker mate. They can cop a loss if it’s honourable. But they don’t expect their glittering side to being playing like park footballs on the weed.

It’s not ok and it’s not business as usual Gus, not when hard core fans are tearing up their memberships and can’t bring themselves to witness another meek and gutless surrender.

How are the crowds Gus?

Do they rate on TV?

Gus my son, how much kool aid was being drunk on Mary tribute night?

All the fans, they all love Mary too....he just can’t coach.

Don’t make it personal Gus.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well I can only say that what Gus has said about Mary’s ‘ use by date ‘ being eternal is it is like being hit by a big Kennelworth truck - so we best all go out and buy ourselves a few packs of band-aids as the same fooker will be on the road next year and the year after that .

Dragon Blood

Juniors
I can see that a few of our players will be seeking releases ...... Vaughan, Hunt, Frizell and Sims Bros.

Did anyone witness the body language of the guys in the shed before the game whilst Mary had his whiteboard out - the missus said - could be a long night - even my five year old who loves the mighty ones sat on his seat in his St George jersey said Daddy I think we lose ..... and they are Filipino

By the way a few of our players are NFGM - not first grade material.

Ravalawa
Pearson
Host
Lawrie
I would add
Aitken
Laughi
Dufty

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
This is Gus' way.

First he tells everyone that its fine and then overtime he tells everyone that its not and change is needed.

I would expect that Gus will change his tune after about 8 rounds of next year.

watch and See. He is actually doing us a favour. He knows Mary can't coach.

Crush

Coach
This is Gus' way.

First he tells everyone that its fine and then overtime he tells everyone that its not and change is needed.

I would expect that Gus will change his tune after about 8 rounds of next year.

watch and See. He is actually doing us a favour. He knows Mary can't coach.
He did that with Jamie Soward.
He used to bang on about how good he was at the Dragons, always saying he was the most dangerous speedster over 40m.
Then one day he said his career is over and he should pack it up.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor under pressure according to former star

13 hrs ago

$
© Getty Images
St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under fire and needs to improve his side according to former star Mark 'Piggy' Riddell - but the radio host believes Mary's head is not on the chopping block.

The Dragons suffered an embarrasing 36-14 loss on Sunday night to the Canberra Raiders, and even conceded two tries while the Green Machine were down to 12 men after Nick Cotric's send off for a dangerous throw on Tim Lafai.

And Riddell, who played 92 games for the Red V, made it very clear on Macquarie Sports Radio on Wednesday morning that the coach is under immense pressure to improve results in the remaining eight rounds of the competition despite his belief they can still somehow win the premiership.

“I understand the pressure on Mary, I’ve been getting messages from Dragons fans asking if he is under the pump - of course he is under the pump, they are sitting in 14th position," he said.

"Will they sack him, I don’t think so because he has just signed a two year extension.

"But he has got pressure and he knows he has to turn things around for the rest of the year."

It has been a very disappointing year for the Dragons and their fans are growing tired of the poor performances under McGregor despite a strong roster at his disposal that boasts the likes of Origin stars Tyson Frizell and Ben Hunt.

They have been without rep forward Jack De Belin for the whole season due to the NRL's 'no fault stand down policy', and have been missing skipper Gareth Widdop through injury since Round 3 but he is expected back against the Rabbitohs in Round 19.

But despite the lackluster effort against the Raiders, the man affectionately known as 'Piggy' thinks we will see a very different St George side when they fight for their season on Friday night against the Panthers.

“They are going from a Sunday to a Friday so it’s a quick turnaround and that’s what you want after you had a loss like that," he said.

"I’m expecting a vastly different team on Friday and I think they’ll improve because they’ve got to.

"Hopefully as a player you have pride in your performance and you look to turn things around as quick as you can."

The Dragons will rest Queensland star and marquee man Hunt for the must-win clash, which joins the long list of baffling decisions from McGregor in 2019.

McGregor has taken the Red V to just two finals series in his six years as coach for the one win in September, and is rapidly falling out of favour with the passionate fanbase.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/othe...-pressure-according-to-former-star/ar-AAEqwYe

Crush

Coach
I am loving Jamie Soward these days.
He's being very critical of McGregor in every interview.
Said hes very confused by the resting of Hunt this week. Questions why he wasn't rested last week if necessary.
I always liked Jamie as a player, I like his commentary also.

hewi

Bench
I think any rational coach would have looked at the two games following SOO and picked the one you were most confident of winning and then rested Hunt, Frizell and Vaughan from the other. Our problem is we need to win every game to have any chance of making the 8 so the coach is desperate and doesn’t manage the players welfare properly.

BBTB

Juniors
Just wish we had a board with the same vision as the one of the 1950's and 60s who completely revolutionised the training regime and turned league into a professional sport. What we could accomplish if we had men of vision leading us instead of people content with mediocrity.
Unfortunately we seem to have people
Interested in self gratification, "the Craig Young (fat Albert) coaching group, McGregor, Young jr, Hornby.
All uncredentialed COACHING"staff.
Their main aim.....
Get that snout in the St George trough. ..
Suck up all money they can, before they are exposed, as frauds with no talent or training what so ever...

Latest posts