What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WC FINAL: England v New Zealand Lords London July 14 2019 (Result - Tie)

shiznit

Coach
Also not fair.

Betas like Bradmanson stand absolutely no chance against Alphas like Faf.
Kane will feign injury and pass it on to his deputy Rosco...

I’d put my money on him probably being the toughest motherf**ker in world cricket... based purely on the fact he’s the only Samoan in world cricket. :joy::joy:

Well maybe Ben Stokes... one of the only Maori in world cricket... :joy::joy:

Meth

Staff member
ok- with a little bit of time, here is where I've ended up.

Gutted.

One of the greatest games of cricket that has ever been. Can you name a better ODI? I've been thinking a lot about it and I'm not sure I can. It was captivating, especially with a low total- a feature of this World Cup.

I was disappointed with a few decisions that went against us- particularly LBW's that hit the top of the pad (Nicholls and Taylor)- they were heading over the stumps IMO. But that's just a part of the game.

The decision to award England 6 runs instead of the correct 5 for the over throws is also very disappointing. Again, I didn't know the rule at the time and you rely on the officials to know it. It's not as dramatic as some are making out- it just would have meant Stokes goes into the last 2 balls with a slightly different mindset. Who knows what would have happened?

Generally, NZ were extremely unlucky. England were extremely lucky. They rode their luck. That's sport.
But I can't think of a match where the luck was so one sided. The amount of French cuts that missed the stumps by millimetres for England (I counted five). The LBW calls. The Trent Boult catch. The overthrow debacle. We just had nothing going our way, and it was brutal. In saying that, I'm so proud of the fact we took that game to the final possible ball, in light of all the odds being against us.

Penultimately, who deserved it? England beat Australia, India, and NZ en route to the title. They truly are the best ODI side in the world right now and they probably deserved the title in that sense. They were probably the best team at that tournament in the end. We barely made the semifinal.

Back to the deflection, I think if the ball inadvertently hits a batsman, then play should be dead subsequently. It's not the responsibility of the batsman to get out of the way of the throw, but it is also not the responsibility of the fielder to have to focus on not hitting the batsman when throwing the ball at the stumps.

The Super Over is a dumb way to decide a match. I'm not and never have been a fan of T20, but even those who are would confess that ODI's are just a different game. If T20 is about entertainment, quick turnover, big shots, and an end result, ODI's are not so much and especially not a World Cup final.

Counting boundaries as a way of splitting two teams is a slap in the face of batsmans who turn over the strike, bowlers who take wickets, and teams that apply pressure by accumulation, not speed. Cricket is about two things. Scoring runs, and taking wickets. There is plenty more to the game, but those are the two measures, on a scorecard, that separates team A from team B. So if the runs are equal, the most logical conclusion would be to move to who has the most wickets. Therefore, NZ were deserved winners. No team that gets bowled out chasing a total should be handed the win.

To conclude, I'm gutted it ended the way it did. NZ deserved to win that game. They certainly didn't lose it, and England didn't win it. It was a tie. In saying that, I'm not aggrieved England won the tournament. They are a fantastic and deserving champion... I just would have liked for them to have won it properly.

NZ did so well to even make the final, let alone play the way they did. For that, we can only be stoked to have witnessed them on that stage, and in that occasion.

But I'm still gutted.

BCH

Juniors
ok- with a little bit of time, here is where I've ended up.

Gutted.

One of the greatest games of cricket that has ever been. Can you name a better ODI? I've been thinking a lot about it and I'm not sure I can. It was captivating, especially with a low total- a feature of this World Cup.

I was disappointed with a few decisions that went against us- particularly LBW's that hit the top of the pad (Nicholls and Taylor)- they were heading over the stumps IMO. But that's just a part of the game.

The decision to award England 6 runs instead of the correct 5 for the over throws is also very disappointing. Again, I didn't know the rule at the time and you rely on the officials to know it. It's not as dramatic as some are making out- it just would have meant Stokes goes into the last 2 balls with a slightly different mindset. Who knows what would have happened?

Stokes would have had a completely different mindset. He wouldn't have been on strike for at least the 2nd last ball, the batsmen not having crossed on the throw by Guptill.

Pommy

Coach
Stokes would have had a completely different mindset. He wouldn't have been on strike for at least the 2nd last ball, the batsmen not having crossed on the throw by Guptill.

Of course it’s completely different. It’s shit that it was missed but people are carrying on like NZ default win if that one run wasn’t awarded. Perhaps Rashid just swings and puts it in the Thames.

Bazal

Post Whore
Definitely don't agree with changing a rule that's literally been in the game as long as I've played/watched it.

The deflection was unlucky as f**k. But that's the game, has been forever. Would we be asking for a change if Guptill had missed wide and the ball had gone for four?

edabomb

First Grade
You make your own luck.

The kiwis played a conservative game throughout the tournament, a bit more risk might have seen them win by a fair margin rather than be gutted.

If we could have even managed 85 off our final 10 we would have cruised home.

Negative gameplan reduces the margin of error. We saw it backfire on Dhoni in the semi and on NZ on the final, albeit with the most unfortunate sequence of events I can ever recall.

Absolutely gutted by the result as I just can't see us getting that close again. With the next World Cup in India it goes against our strengths, and by 2027 none from this strong generation of players will be around.

Reactions: JJ

Meth

Staff member
You make your own luck.

The kiwis played a conservative game throughout the tournament, a bit more risk might have seen them win by a fair margin rather than be gutted.

We played within our meagre abilities and did a pretty good job, really

JJ

Immortal
We played within our meagre abilities and did a pretty good job, really
I wouldn't downplay the ability in the side - certainly went up a gear in the semis - deservedly the #3 side in the World at the moment, and a shandy from being World Cup Holders...

Several bats didn't play well, we're not a crash the ball everywhere and get 400 type team, openers remain an issue - but our middle order and all-rounders excellent (although Taylor and Latham didn't perform that way), and our attack and fielding the equal of any - Boult is clearly world class, and the improvement in Henry (when used the right way), Ferguson and Santner very impressive

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I wouldn't downplay the ability in the side - certainly went up a gear in the semis - deservedly the #3 side in the World at the moment, and a shandy from being World Cup Holders...

Several bats didn't play well, we're not a crash the ball everywhere and get 400 type team, openers remain an issue - but our middle order and all-rounders excellent (although Taylor and Latham didn't perform that way), and our attack and fielding the equal of any - Boult is clearly world class, and the improvement in Henry (when used the right way), Ferguson and Santner very impressive

We need a genuine finisher, not a couple of guys who you hope pay off once in a blue moon.

That was probably the difference in the end if we put any controversy to the side.

Yes we rely too much on Guptil for a quick start, but if there was one role I'd want to sort out ASAP it would be who finishes the innings.

Meth

Staff member

Meh.

We had a couple of under performers- (Guptill, Latham) and a couple of over performers (Fergusson, Henry), but I don't think anyone ever thought this team was capable of winning the World Cup.

Latest posts