What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

kinghippo

Juniors
CNK is not a ball player. IMO he's very much in the Dylan Edwards mould. He hasn't shown anymore promise than Edwards... he looks to have the same ceiling as a player IMO.

CNK:
16 games
8 tries
1 try assist
7 linebreaks
71 tackle breaks
178m per games

Edwards:
12 games
4 tries
1 try assist
4 linebreaks
54 tackle breaks
151m per game

Without a doubt CNK has had the better season. Edwards first stint this year was shocking. But Edwards recently has been in similarish form to CNK. Both players have similar strengths and weaknesses. In form they would both offer about the same.
Edwards is progressing into one of the safest fullbacks in the comp but CNK has much more off the mark speed, stepping and ballplaying that help cause problems for defensive lines.
Edwards tries very hard and is definitely improving but apart from a bit of support play offers nothing in attack.
It is most noticeable in the opposition 20. Any backline play that touches Edwards is finished.
I am keen to see how much improvement he has for the rest of the year but at the moment still feel we need more of an attacking threat to help get the points flowing.

Crashtest

Juniors
He has a good knack of following up in support and is deceptively strong. That fend he put on to score shocked me. He isn't lightning quick but he is no slouch either. As long as he does the basics very well (he seems to have regained them) and offers good support I am content with that. Slater never had blinding speed, power or an ace passing game. He just nailed the basics and was a very intelligent player. I think Edwards is from a similar mould.

The trouble is though with our limited attack, we need more from a fullback than someone that just does the basics well. He backs up well in support, which is where he tries come from, but he can't create opportunities either for himself or for others to score.

Dave's mate

Juniors
The trouble is though with our limited attack, we need more from a fullback than someone that just does the basics well. He backs up well in support, which is where he tries come from, but he can't create opportunities either for himself or for others to score.
Egan actually running the ball from dummy half will help create space too. That's his game and it strange he doesn't do it more

Crashtest

Juniors
CNK is not a ball player. IMO he's very much in the Dylan Edwards mould. He hasn't shown anymore promise than Edwards... he looks to have the same ceiling as a player IMO.

CNK:
16 games
8 tries
1 try assist
7 linebreaks
71 tackle breaks
178m per games

Edwards:
12 games
4 tries
1 try assist
4 linebreaks
54 tackle breaks
151m per game

Without a doubt CNK has had the better season. Edwards first stint this year was shocking. But Edwards recently has been in similarish form to CNK. Both players have similar strengths and weaknesses. In form they would both offer about the same.

CNK has been one of the finds and stars, of the season. As you mentioned, Edward's started the season shockingly bad, but has since only progressed to his normal solid self.

CNK has far more speed and footwork than Edwards, which means he can create more tries for himself than Edwards can. Edwards tries mostly come from backing up players who have already made the line break.

Both need to work on their passing game, but as far as ceilings go, CNK has shown he offers a lot more as an attacking threat than Edwards.

Panfa

Juniors
I think edwards is warming the seat for laurie or staines going forward egan was a gun 20s player who is finally starting to play with potentia.Maybe the fact katoa has been punted and kenny has shot up has sprung egan into action whatever it was i like it hope the 2 can keep it going now.

The Realist

Juniors
Sorry, you lost me here. Slater was electric with good footwork and great balance.

I purposely left out foot work, yes Slater was relatively quick (never a stand out though) and had good footwork (again not outstanding) and good balance. He was never a stand out physically, though he had attributes that were significantly above average. What made him great is that he was a very smart footballer.

franklin2323

Immortal
Neither of his tries was a backline movement.
He supported well and got the rewards.
Our backline attack is still terrible, our wingers and centres are not scoring with ball in hand.

I don't think you can blame the outside backs for that. Our play from set starts is poor no doubt but the guys inside are ones not getting the ball out to them

Fangs

Coach
Billy Slater had 10 speed and acceleration in the Rugby league game released in 2003. That made him as fast as Rhys Wesser, though Billy was listed as a centre.

betcats

Referee
Yeah he had great acceleration, was at full speed in about 3 steps.

What is really amazing about him is as he declined athletically he just expanded his skillset and his impact never really declined. Its easily said but very hard to do imo, look at some of the limitations our players never overcome, minor things like carry the ball or being able hit a support player on the chest after making a break.

Fangs

Coach
A grubby cheat who should be remembered as a complete merkin

Yeah I hate him. A little less than Cam Smith.

I tend to respect Slater's achievements more. Two shoulder reconstructions, a lot of people I knew said he wouldn't even be half the player. Came back and was still the best fullback in the world.

BxTom

Bench
Yeah I hate him. A little less than Cam Smith.

I tend to respect Slater's achievements more. Two shoulder reconstructions, a lot of people I knew said he wouldn't even be half the player. Came back and was still the best fullback in the world.
His greatest asset was his knees...

kinghippo

Juniors
I don't think you can blame the outside backs for that. Our play from set starts is poor no doubt but the guys inside are ones not getting the ball out to them
Yeah i agree with that, and it has improved a bit with no katoa.
To me all our set and backline plays just seem to be in slow motion.
It’s difficult to put a finger on what exactly is wrong with our attack but something is.
I don’t want to sound to harsh on Edwards because he really is in good form but fullback is an area I think could really help us score a few more tries.
If there was some speed or the option of a well timed cut out pass it would help.
I also Know a new fullback could completely wreck the good defensive mojo we have at the moment too, but I love seeing panther tries and there aren’t enough lately.