What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinghippo

Juniors
Hooker & Fullback get talked about a bit as positions we need to look at, are there any players people would like to see targeted? I’d add as well I’d love to see us sign a tall & quick winger.

The way I see it someone doesn’t really have to be off contract to be a potential signing anymore.

The one hooker I’d like to see us sign is Cameron McInnes, two options at fullback that could fit the bill for what we’re after is Moylan or Shaun Johnson. But not on ridiculous money.
I would love to see us make a play for Valentine Holmes for fullback if he became available,Manu from the roosters or Aj Brimson.
The reality though is we probably need to get lucky through our juniors.

OldPanther

Coach
I would love to see us make a play for Valentine Holmes for fullback if he became available,Manu from the roosters or Aj Brimson.
The reality though is we probably need to get lucky through our juniors.

I like Brimson but he's the same as Edwards but faster.

kinghippo

Juniors
I like Brimson but he's the same as Edwards but faster.
AJ hasn’t really had a huge opportunity to develop as a fullback, he played mainly at 5/8 last year and has been a benchy for most of this season.
He isn’t as established in first grade as Edwards yet and certainly isn’t worth top dollar but has a lot of potential.
I know we have been stung by potential before but I recon he would be a decent signing, even as a little bit of extra cover in the halves if Maloney goes.
Speed is also something we are still in need of.

Kilkenny

Coach
If we didn't have two potential NRL quality fullbacks in our junior ranks then I could understand the club maybe considering looking at bringing in a fullback. But with Edwards, Aekins, Laurie and Staines fullback is the last place I would be investing whatever limited funds we have available.

roofromoz

First Grade
NRL360 just announced that Josh Reynolds has been told by the Wests Tigers that he is free to negotiate with other clubs.

Given that Ivan brought him across from the Bulldogs, do you think he would make a play to bring him across to Penrith?

I have a feeling he might go back to the Dogs.

Abacus

Juniors
Brandon Smith I’d love, but his big body may see his future at lock.

The Sharks salary cap is exactly why someone like Moylan or Johnson might become available. I’d only be taking them if the sharks paid a significant amount of their deals. Brimson is a great suggestion, although despite being a former half he looks more like a ball runner. My preference is for a ball playing fullback.
Smith may end up at lock - but I'd be signing him to have a red hot crack at hooker first.

I just don't see enough upside in either Moylan or Johnson at fullback, whatever the price. And seeing the Sharks take it in the arse cap-wise is the cherry on top.

You could be right on Brimson, but his speed and general footy is hard to ignore.

Kilkenny

Coach
Josh Reynolds has played 9 games for the Wests Tigers in almost two seasons and his body is basically done.

There is no NRL club who would be prepared to take Josh from the Tigers regardless of how much they are prepared to pitch in.

Ivan made a mistake recruiting Josh to the Tigers in the first instance, he would be highly unlikely to make the same mistake a second time with us.

Smith may end up at lock - but I'd be signing him to have a red hot crack at hooker first.

I just don't see enough upside in either Moylan or Johnson at fullback, whatever the price. And seeing the Sharks take it in the arse cap-wise is the cherry on top.

You could be right on Brimson, but his speed and general footy is hard to ignore.

For me, upside isn’t really the criteria. It’s what they can on day one. Much like the Maloney signing. I’m talking 2-3 year deals, see where we go from there.

Very true . So many signings just don’t kick on.

Same as juniors.

But our signings in the past 6-8 years have a better strike rate of contribution than the juniors.

Tamou
Merrin
Soward
Wallace
Kikau
Mansour
Whare
Seg
Manu
Brown
Kite
Taylor
Api
Hiku
Browne
TMM
Peachey
Latimore
Idris
Kevin Naqaima

There’s a few bad ones there, but mostly it’s been pretty good.

Question is if we can attract the right talent without Gould.

OldPanther

Coach
Same as juniors.

But our signings in the past 6-8 years have a better strike rate of contribution than the juniors.

Tamou
Merrin
Soward
Wallace
Kikau
Mansour
Whare
Seg
Manu
Brown
Kite
Taylor
Api
Hiku
Browne
TMM
Peachey
Latimore
Idris
Kevin Naqaima

There’s a few bad ones there, but mostly it’s been pretty good.

Question is if we can attract the right talent without Gould.

Hard to disagree.

Also for the record I did agree earlier if we could get a genuinely good hooker I'd be good with it and everyone skipped past it. Just want to make sure of it for next time someone tries to use my fandom of Egan against me.

Kilkenny

Coach
Also for the record I did agree earlier if we could get a genuinely good hooker I'd be good with it and everyone skipped past it. Just want to make sure of it for next time someone tries to use my fandom of Egan against me.

If the club have Maurice Trindall locked up for next year or two I wouldn't worry about bringing in another hooker just stick with Egan & Kenny with the young gun Trindall waiting in the wings. Trindall has had some off field issues hence he has only recently returned to the fold but has unlimited potential if he get's his head sorted.

Kilkenny

Coach
From Herbet's list other than the obvious big name signings such as Merrin, Tamou, Manu most were low key & modest signings acquired to do a job at the time.

The biggest disappointment was Sika Manu from the Storm. He was a genuine underachiever.

I think the majority of those on the list had there moments during the times with us and did the job they were brought to do.

OldPanther

Coach
If the club have Maurice Trindall locked up for next year or two I wouldn't worry about bringing in another hooker just stick with Egan & Kenny with the young gun Trindall waiting in the wings. Trindall has had some off field issues hence he has only recently returned to the fold but has unlimited potential if he get's his head sorted.

Well I was agreeing on the basis we get an upgrade for success now. If that isn't possible I see no point.

Status
Not open for further replies.