What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah i agree with that, and it has improved a bit with no katoa.
To me all our set and backline plays just seem to be in slow motion.
It’s difficult to put a finger on what exactly is wrong with our attack but something is.
I don’t want to sound to harsh on Edwards because he really is in good form but fullback is an area I think could really help us score a few more tries.
If there was some speed or the option of a well timed cut out pass it would help.
I also Know a new fullback could completely wreck the good defensive mojo we have at the moment too, but I love seeing panther tries and there aren’t enough lately.

We play free, Offload more until we hit the 20 then back to one out and slow motion

betcats

Referee
Some much better footy brewing played now, it’s not perfect but you can see what they are going for. Attacking the edges early and often has been great the last few weeks. Our halves are now olaying(or trying at least) a lot more eyes up footy. Kicking game is as varied as it has ever been from our halves as well, plenty of grubbers and long tough finders to go along with our :bomb:, even saw a midfield grubber last night. If we can keep improving i think it’s a very good style of footy, better than what was being coached previously imo.

Also we used to praise Hook for his ability to get a player ready for a debut and rightly so it was one of his strong points no doubt but this year we have transitioned Naden, Too and Kenny into fg seamlessly, in fact it was bringing some new blood that seemed to kick off our season so we are still doing it well.

Anyway the coaches deserve some credit for this bounce back, 7 games in a row, maybe a couple arsey ones but you can’t take them off us.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Some much better footy brewing played now, it’s not perfect but you can see what they are going for. Attacking the edges early and often has been great the last few weeks. Our halves are now olaying(or trying at least) a lot more eyes up footy. Kicking game is as varied as it has ever been from our halves as well, plenty of grubbers and long tough finders to go along with our :bomb:, even saw a midfield grubber last night. If we can keep improving i think it’s a very good style of footy, better than what was being coached previously imo.

Also we used to praise Hook for his ability to get a player ready for a debut and rightly so it was one of his strong points no doubt but this year we have transitioned Naden, Too and Kenny into fg seamlessly, in fact it was bringing some new blood that seemed to kick off our season so we are still doing it well.

Anyway the coaches deserve some credit for this bounce back, 7 games in a row, maybe a couple arsey ones but you can’t take them off us.
Ivan has always been pretty good bringing kids in

Whino

Bench
Lets have another look after 18 rounds

The first figure was down after 10 rounds.
The second (blue) was down after 4 straight wins
The third (red) is after 7 straight wins

Stats via the NRL

We are 15th we it comes to points scored and 16th for Tries scored. 16th 15th for both
15th when it comes to possession up to 7th 13th
Supports 8th 5th 7th
Line breaks 14th14th now 11th
Tackles breaks 14th 14th 14th
All run metres we are last. 11th 13th
Kick return metres 8th. 9th now 7th
Off loads 14th. 11th now 8th
Line Break assists 14th. 14th up to 10th
4th for Tackles made. 14 5th
Total kicks 12th 12th 12
We are 1st for conversions. 1st Still number 1
Errors made. 16th 13th improving slowly
We are the 2nd worst team on Penalties conceded. 16th still 16th
Set Completion we are the worst in the NRL 16th still the worse
Post contact metres 7th 10th 10th
Decoy runs 4th 2nd 2nd
All runs 15th 7th 8th
Dummy half runs 13th. 13th 14th
Try assist last. 13th up to 8th!
Missed tackles we are the worst in the NRL. 16th still the worst
Total kick metre 9th 10 9th
Ineffective tackles 14th. 12 13th
We are the 3rd worst for handling errors. 16th 15th

Slowly there have been some improvements once more since the last time I did the stats.

Line breaks are gradually improving as well as Off loads, line break assists and Try Assists. A moderate improvement for errors made too, but not for handling errors.

No doubt we were dreadful the opening 10 rounds and some of the statistics have put us considerably behind other clubs as we turn things around.

Despite our poor start and turn around the past 2 months our Missed tackles and our discipline when it comes to penalties has not improved at all. We are the worst in the NRL in both these categories. Which is still a big concern.
We have gotten away with it recently but I wouldn't want to come up against a red hot Roosters or Melbourne unless these areas improve considerably.

Last edited:
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/1772529b794b3895aabb7eea666b4bd9
Can anyone post this article? It was Scott Sattler who compared Kenny to Luke Priddis.

Here you go.

Penrith legend delivers Panthers rake Mitch Kenny stunning praise
July 24, 2019
From an NRL unknown who started this season mowing lawns as part of his daily choirs, Mitch Kenny has now drawn comparisons to one of Penrith’s grand final heroes.

In stunning praise, Scott Sattler has declared the rookie hooker’s subtle skills reminds him of former Clive Churchill Medal winner Luke Priddis.

After initially getting his top grade call-up because of an NRL exemption to cover for the then injured Wayde Egan, Kenny has emerged as the Panthers’ lucky charm — with the little known 21-year-old yet to taste NRL defeat.

28f3762ecaed97c2ecea7bf1f695431a

Mitchell Kenny is undefeated in his NRL career to date. Picture: Dan Himbrechts
MORE NRL NEWS

Kenny debuted in the round 11 win over Parramatta and has since played a part in the run of seven straight victories.

Making Kenny’s arrival even more extraordinary, that followed a disastrous start where the Panthers lost eight of their opening 10 games.

“He is like Priddis was for us,” Sattler said.

“There is no frills about him but he knows when to take the moment.

“He has beautiful subtle touches and that is like ‘Priddo’ was.

“He only took moments when he knew they were going to turn into something positive. He didn’t take them for the sake of taking them.”

3da16a0ab9a9eb9688c77bb3db68cc52

Kenny drew praise from Panthers legend Scott Sattler. Picture: Dean Lewins
But while the Panthers would already have rivals feeling nervous in the run to the finals, Sattler believes this Sunday’s showdown with four-placed Canberra will be the clash that determines if Ivan Cleary’s side are now genuine contenders.

This time last year the Panthers were sitting fifth on the NRL ladder with 11 wins and six losses, while they are currently seventh with nine wins and eight losses.

“This week will definitely show it,” Sattler said.

“My biggest complaint about the Panthers over the years is that they have had these really good players who have come out of the under 20s system and been really successful.

“But they have never been able to change their mindset to become a week in week out battle hardened NRL player.

22dc123a42908cfb736c5d963fcbcf4d

Sattler compared Kenny to club great Luke Priddis. Picture: Glenn Campbell
“They would rather lose and look good than win and look bad.

“And they would get into the arm wrestle and blink first and the other team would beat them through pure tenacity.

“But I think they are over the top of that now.

“And the little hooker is a good example of it.”

At the start of the year many rated the Panthers as a top four team but while they looked gone after 10 rounds the State of Origin period has been their saviour.

Sattler says it’s again not unlike in 2003.

“In 2003 we took advantage of a couple of teams who did lose a lot of people during Origin,” he recalled.

LISTEN! Matty’s back with Kenty and Finchy and they run the rule over the Raiders premiership chances, try to understand what’s happening at the Sharks and look back at the ‘89 grand final and ask what would have happened if the Tigers won.

“And we kept gathering momentum to the point where you get so confident that you don’t care if they threw a team of Immortals out there, you still thought you were going to beat them.

“You have to take advantage of situations.

“But there also comes a time when you come up against one of the genuine contenders like the Raiders this week and they will stare you in the eyes and you have to be willing to go nose to nose with them and not blink.”

“They are dangerous,” Sattler added.

“They have a good sturdy hooker, a good halves combination, a strike backrower, big front rowers and good finishers on either side as well.

“I think they have taken over as the Sharks. They are sort of a team you don’t want to play in the finals.”

https://outline.com/z98n4s

OldPanther

Coach
Here you go.

Penrith legend delivers Panthers rake Mitch Kenny stunning praise
July 24, 2019
From an NRL unknown who started this season mowing lawns as part of his daily choirs, Mitch Kenny has now drawn comparisons to one of Penrith’s grand final heroes.

In stunning praise, Scott Sattler has declared the rookie hooker’s subtle skills reminds him of former Clive Churchill Medal winner Luke Priddis.

After initially getting his top grade call-up because of an NRL exemption to cover for the then injured Wayde Egan, Kenny has emerged as the Panthers’ lucky charm — with the little known 21-year-old yet to taste NRL defeat.

28f3762ecaed97c2ecea7bf1f695431a

Mitchell Kenny is undefeated in his NRL career to date. Picture: Dan Himbrechts
MORE NRL NEWS

Kenny debuted in the round 11 win over Parramatta and has since played a part in the run of seven straight victories.

Making Kenny’s arrival even more extraordinary, that followed a disastrous start where the Panthers lost eight of their opening 10 games.

“He is like Priddis was for us,” Sattler said.

“There is no frills about him but he knows when to take the moment.

“He has beautiful subtle touches and that is like ‘Priddo’ was.

“He only took moments when he knew they were going to turn into something positive. He didn’t take them for the sake of taking them.”

3da16a0ab9a9eb9688c77bb3db68cc52

Kenny drew praise from Panthers legend Scott Sattler. Picture: Dean Lewins
But while the Panthers would already have rivals feeling nervous in the run to the finals, Sattler believes this Sunday’s showdown with four-placed Canberra will be the clash that determines if Ivan Cleary’s side are now genuine contenders.

This time last year the Panthers were sitting fifth on the NRL ladder with 11 wins and six losses, while they are currently seventh with nine wins and eight losses.

“This week will definitely show it,” Sattler said.

“My biggest complaint about the Panthers over the years is that they have had these really good players who have come out of the under 20s system and been really successful.

“But they have never been able to change their mindset to become a week in week out battle hardened NRL player.

22dc123a42908cfb736c5d963fcbcf4d

Sattler compared Kenny to club great Luke Priddis. Picture: Glenn Campbell
“They would rather lose and look good than win and look bad.

“And they would get into the arm wrestle and blink first and the other team would beat them through pure tenacity.

“But I think they are over the top of that now.

“And the little hooker is a good example of it.”

At the start of the year many rated the Panthers as a top four team but while they looked gone after 10 rounds the State of Origin period has been their saviour.

Sattler says it’s again not unlike in 2003.

“In 2003 we took advantage of a couple of teams who did lose a lot of people during Origin,” he recalled.

LISTEN! Matty’s back with Kenty and Finchy and they run the rule over the Raiders premiership chances, try to understand what’s happening at the Sharks and look back at the ‘89 grand final and ask what would have happened if the Tigers won.

“And we kept gathering momentum to the point where you get so confident that you don’t care if they threw a team of Immortals out there, you still thought you were going to beat them.

“You have to take advantage of situations.

“But there also comes a time when you come up against one of the genuine contenders like the Raiders this week and they will stare you in the eyes and you have to be willing to go nose to nose with them and not blink.”

“They are dangerous,” Sattler added.

“They have a good sturdy hooker, a good halves combination, a strike backrower, big front rowers and good finishers on either side as well.

“I think they have taken over as the Sharks. They are sort of a team you don’t want to play in the finals.”

https://outline.com/z98n4s

My take away from that is we are winning the premiership this year with Kenny named Clive Churchill medalist.

betcats

Referee
Love Mitch. Last week was his best game for us easily. Laid on a try with a great little grubber and was influential Leota's try. He certainly has potential to be a solid or better NRL hooker, after Wades game aginst the titans I thought he might start to jump ahead of Kenny but Mitch certainly responded, if Mitch keeps playing like that the 9 jersey is his to lose.

TheFrog

Coach
15th when it comes to possession up to 7th 13th
The 15th was after 10 games, obviously.
The next one was after 4 more games including the first 10 or not?
The last includes all 17, or the last 7, or just the last 3?

We had 50% (Warriors), 51% (Titans) and 58% (Dragons). I'd expect our standing in possession to have risen. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the stats.

Points/tries conceded is the big one and most explains the rise in the team's fortunes. We are 2nd fewest since round 11 and 6th fewest for the full season, both in tries conceded and points conceded. The one team that has conceded fewer has also had a winning run.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
The 15th was after 10 games, obviously.
The next one was after 4 more games including the first 10 or not?
The last includes all 17, or the last 7, or just the last 3?

We had 50% (Warriors), 51% (Titans) and 58% (Dragons). I'd expect our standing in possession to have risen. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the stats.

Points/tries conceded is the big one and most explains the rise in the team's fortunes. We are 2nd fewest since round 11 and 6th fewest for the full season, both in tries conceded and points conceded. The one team that has conceded fewer has also had a winning run.

The stats in black are after 10 rounds.
Blue rankings after 14 rounds including the previous 10 rounds.
Red rankings after 18 rounds includes every game.

forby

Juniors
If Kikau got 2 weeks so should Ponga, if not more. Shoulder and elbow to a player not in possession!
It will be interesting if he is charged or not!