What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"South East QLD Titans"

Reflector

Juniors
Cam Smith, Billy Slater, Munster, Cronk, Folou, Chambers...the list probably goes on.
Most of these guys should have been divided up between the Broncos and Titans. Had they been, the Titans would have been a lot more competitive and would have been building their culture off locals.

And this is why I don't get Qlders who support a Qld NRL team but have a soft spot for the Storm because "they're like another Qld team". It's like dude- they've siphoned two generations of the best talent your state has produced away from your NRL sides.

ReddFelon

Juniors
And this is why I don't get Qlders who support a Qld NRL team but have a soft spot for the Storm because "they're like another Qld team". It's like dude- they've siphoned two generations of the best talent your state has produced away from your NRL sides.

And done nothing to develop new players in Victoria.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Have you ever seen what they are up against in Victoria. The most insular sporting community ever.
9 senior clubs fielding u18s, first grade and second grade teams. The Storm launched a Storm academy in 2015 and they placed it...In Queensland.

No one said they had to field an origin squad of nothing but Victorians, but there's supporting a pathway and then there's doing literally nothing to grow the footprint of the game. It's fairly obvious that the Storm are the latter, with practically zero effort to improve.

Even the shitty Melbourne union team has a local academy for Victorian players. The Storm might as well play out of the Sunshine Coast given their desire to tell everyone who listens that they're just another Queensland team.

King hit

Coach

Queenslanders can’t seperate origin from the nrl club games

ReddFelon

Juniors
Well Victoria is only just now building a dedicated home for rugby league in the state. If we had had that sooner we might already have a bunch of Victorian juniors playing today.
I don't disagree, but it doesn't change the fact that the Storm could've been doing things to help 15 years ago, not setting up all their pathways through Queensland.

big hit!

Bench
Didn't the Titans 'brand' become mud up on the coast after the CoE debacle where local subbies weren't getting paid when the club was in serious debt?

The stadium agreement has been crippling as well. I suppose the QLD government wanted to recoup the investment fast before the Titans went the way of every other GC team. Planning for the long haul may have been advantageous to all. Fans pay less, clubs doesn't go into debt, club can succeed and make a home on GC for a long time.

Plenty of mistakes at the 5th go at getting club going up there.

greenBV4

Bench
Maybe they need to reconnect with Northern Rivers NSW

Wonder what happened to the Seagulls-Bears proposal
They used to have a fairly decent presence when I grew up there, with TV and radio ads and school visits etc, not sure if they still do though. Most of the Titans better juniors were all from the NSW side of the border as well. Renaming them "South Queensland" wont do a whole lot good for fans south of the border though.

mongoose

Coach
No it isn't perfectly fine, we've been trying to get a solution for the Brookvale stadium problem for over a decade. Barrett doing everything he could to demolish Manly's identity didn't help either. Yet still we have 4000 more members than the Titans and despite the Penn's haven't ever been as financially mismanaged as the Gold Coast.

It is absolutely unacceptable for a single city team in a League heartland region to be struggling to the degree that the Titans do.

your team has been around since 1947 and won 7-8 premierships? I'm not calling for Manly to be dropped from the NRL but I don't think they have done too well growing their supporter base or brand in 72 years.
Titans have only been around 10 years and have zero premierships.

kdalymc

Bench
Americans are stupid?
They invented TV, the internet, computers, planes and the car. I could go on and on.
All their sports are massive and hugely successful.
If we put America in charge of the NRL it would be the biggest sport in the country within 2 years and every team would be playing in front of 30k plus crowds.
The NRL should be run by way of simply copying everything that American sport does.

i was only referring to the ridiculous redundant way they go about naming their teams..
the rest, yes. they shit on us

it just seems dumb to have a team called SQ, when there is another team is SQ...
was worse 20 years ago tho. there was 2 teams already in south queensland for almost 10 years, then a new team comes in and calls themselves south queensland...

however i am yet (and i dont support the idea of a 2nd bris team anyway) to think of a way to name a new brisbane team, it CANNOT be Brisbane, THATS a stupid american thing to do. UNLESS we went Brisbane City Broncos and then South/West/ etc Brisbane So-and-sos... but def dont wanna see broncos change their name.

GAZF

First Grade
i was only referring to the ridiculous redundant way they go about naming their teams..
the rest, yes. they shit on us

it just seems dumb to have a team called SQ, when there is another team is SQ...
Sydney Roosters.

Reflector

Juniors
Billy Moore and Benny Elias (the lowest level of blokes), think that a union between North Sydney Bears and Burleigh Bears with a take over of the Titans and both Bears clubs providing Leagues clubs is the preferred option, Gold Coast Bears.

If there is absolutely no way the Bears ever resurface on the Central Coast as was originally the plan, I like this idea. Brings Norths back in some form, supports expansion AND is probably the best way a Gold Coast team has a viable brand long-term.

Latest posts