What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tommy Talau

Post contact metres is a stat I don’t rate, they’re big on it these days but all it’s means is that the other side has let you stand up so that they can get their line set. It’s almost another way to slow down the play the ball. Unless there’s a proper line break I don’t go for it.

Another 4 or 5kg on him he’ll be a weapon

I don't know I think there is some merit in it. Not sure how they calculate it but PCM is important coming out of your own end where metres are extremely valuable. Maybe if they refined the stat to show it in your own half it might be a better indicator of workers who will gain yardage.

Just thinking out loud.

WA Tiger

Bench
Post contact metres is a stat I don’t rate, they’re big on it these days but all it’s means is that the other side has let you stand up so that they can get their line set. It’s almost another way to slow down the play the ball. Unless there’s a proper line break I don’t go for it.

Another 4 or 5kg on him he’ll be a weapon
. Post Contact metres ...Moving forward even after you’ve been tackled...For me seeing a player keep going with 1 2 or 3 players on him is one of the highlights of watching This game...We just don’t see it at WT because we either are not big enough or don’t have enough intent ...The coach would be happy with a 47 m gain in this manner wherever on the field..Obviously in the lower graders he would have less resistance but it’s about attempting to go through the tackle not get to the tackle and stop however big the opposition. We could use some of that

Pezz70

Juniors
. Post Contact metres ...Moving forward even after you’ve been tackled...For me seeing a player keep going with 1 2 or 3 players on him is one of the highlights of watching This game...We just don’t see it at WT because we either are not big enough or don’t have enough intent ...The coach would be happy with a 47 m gain in this manner wherever on the field..Obviously in the lower graders he would have less resistance but it’s about attempting to go through the tackle not get to the tackle and stop however big the opposition. We could use some of
I don't know I think there is some merit in it. Not sure how they calculate it but PCM is important coming out of your own end where metres are extremely valuable. Maybe if they refined the stat to show it in your own half it might be a better indicator of workers who will gain yardage.

Just thinking out loud.

Probably a post for another thread, but unless those metres come with an off load or line break they’re useless. It’s actually used by teams to slow the speed of the attack and not give away a penalty. Its another method used by wrestlers to avoid wrestling penalties. Realistically once two tacklers are up high if they really wanted to stop you the low man would be straight in. It’s not, like some people think an actual badge of honour for the ball carrier.

I’m most circumstances it would be better For the ball carrier once contact is made to get to his knees and get up for a quick play the ball. This way you’re giving the opposition far less time to get set. Watch the hookers, their successful darts from dummy half are almost always after defence rolls backwards and quick play the ball, not as often following pcm, unless there is a clear line break or offload.

Last edited:
I’m most circumstances it would be better For the ball carrier once contact is made to get to his knees and get up for a quick play the ball. This way you’re giving the opposition far less time to get set. Watch the hookers, their successful darts from dummy half are almost always after defence rolls backwards and quick play the ball, not as often following pcm, unless there is a clear line break or offload.

Yeah I get that but if the player is going to get held up in the tackle or wrestled the defensive line will get set anyway so you may as well make the metres you can.

I get that it is less than ideal when you're in the opposition half and you want to take advantage of a retreating line but conservative footy is often played coming out of your own half so I would rather see every bit of yardage taken where possible. Refs are really f**ked in penalising offside more than ever, especially with hookers not being square. Happens on the regular now and it just does not get penalised as often as it occurs.

WA Tiger

Bench
makes sense you two...I think there’s got to be a place for PCM somewhere ...Even if it’s to spark up the team and start the momentum...You’ve got to be careful though for example that Matterson try where he just didn’t give up and got through 5 tackles a couple weeks back where he could have just gone in half hearted and done a quick play the ball to get the advantage..instead it was nah I’m getting through here no matter what...Maybe not a good example because he was so close to the line .....Anyway cheers

Last edited:

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Thomas Talau, known as Tommy to fans and “oi tommy ya mad merkin have another beer” to close friends, will debut this weekend on the left wing.

He is aged 19, and the son of Bulldogs legend Villiame AKA William AKA Willie AKA “oi old Bill let’s leave the strippers it’s 4.30am”.

I am predicting him to have a great game and to score a try that contributes to a Tigers win.

I am then predicting that the legion of travelling Tigers fans in Canberra colonise the notorious Canberra nightspots, and party into the wee hours like Carney, Dugan, Ferguson and Earl.

Thoughts?

PCM are a good stat if the player is running forward toward the try line. It's a bad stat if you're walking backwards towards it. Sharon woods for example always has a lot of PCMs

stryker

First Grade
I’m expecting him to play Saturday. Not sure if wing is his spot, but these days wingers are just good athletes, he is that but also has some footy in him. Happy for him to start there and work his way infield.
Funny you say that. I feel in the modern game that wingers are far more than just athletic and fast, i think they are critical to go forward and defence. I seriously believe they are far better footballers than centers who in most sides are just good defenders who can catch.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
For the third week in a row -

Dear Michael Maguire,

You are an esteemed Rugby League mind Madge my dear fellow. With this in mind, I request that you consider in your infinite wisdom debuting the Samoan Sex Machine Thomaso Talau.

You have rid our team of the slug, for which we are forever grateful. However, Paulinho Momirovski is barely an upgrade, and hence we request and demand that Thomaso Talau be blooded.

Should Talau fail to debut, I will send you this letter via carrier pigeon at the same time next week.

Kind regards,
Thomaso Talau's Number 1 Fan

Pezz70

Juniors
Nice write up in today’s paper about this kid. Benji says he’s a five eighth. I was ignorant to the fact I’d only seen him play centres. This kid if he is competent in the 5/8 is EXACTLY what the Tigers need there, big bodied, very strong. Look forward to seeing him take his place

Vic Mackey

Referee
Nice write up in today’s paper about this kid. Benji says he’s a five eighth. I was ignorant to the fact I’d only seen him play centres. This kid if he is competent in the 5/8 is EXACTLY what the Tigers need there, big bodied, very strong. Look forward to seeing him take his place

What paper is it in mate?

Tigers Tale

Juniors

I am happy to see this. A lot of the best 5/8's have started their career at centre, one of the best examples I can remember is Laurie Daley. They learn from playing centre when they want the ball from their 5/8 and when they actually transition into 5/8 they are quite skilled at setting up their outside players.

I also like big 5/8's (again like Daley) who can not only set up players but are good runners. Geezus, I just realised how much pressure I have put Talau under comparing him to Daley but you guys get my point lol.

A year of running outside Benji and learning from him would be great....

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Teen sensation is Wests Tigers’ brightest prospect since James Tedesco

Fatima Kdouh, The Daily Telegraph
October 21, 2019 9:11am
Subscriber only

Wests Tigers teenage sensation Tommy Talau is being hailed as the next James Tedesco and veteran Benji Marshall believes he’ll win a starting spot in Michael Maguire’s side in 2020.

Marshall told The Daily Telegraph that Talau, 19, was the brightest prospect to come through Concord since local junior and former Tigers fullback Tedesco.

“Tommy Talau has the most potential of any young kid I have seen since James Tedesco,” Marshall said.

“Yeah, (it’s a big call) but the potential is there and of course he has to fulfil it. But with the right work ethic, I think he’ll have a lot to offer this club.”

Talau is the son of former Canterbury centre Willie Talau, who played 277 games in Australia and England — including 101 for the Bulldogs.

Talau was destined to make his NRL debut for the same club as his father but Tigers coach Maguire pulled off a massive coup by snatching the youngster from Belmore.

The rising playmaker helped guide the Bulldogs to last year’s S.G. Ball grand final and was the side’s top-scorer.

Maguire upgraded Talau’s development contract to a top-30 spot on his roster before this year’s June 30 deadline, which allowed him to make his NRL debut against Manly in round 22.

Talau, who is normally a five-eighth, made his debut at centre. It’s the same spot that Marshall is predicting he will play in round one of 2020.

“I think round one he’ll be a starting centre … this kid can play. In my opinion he could be anything,” Marshall said.

As well as Jersey Flegg, Talau played nine games in the Canterbury Cup for Western Suburbs Magpies this year and scored four tries, made four line breaks and averaged four tackle busts per game.

Marshall believes the emergence of Talau will ease the pain of watching Tedesco win back-to-back premierships with the Sydney Roosters and this year’s Dally M award — plus almost every other accolade and trophy on offer since leaving Concord to play for the Bondi club in 2018.

“Teddy is probably the best kid I’ve ever had anything to do with and spent time with … the way he trains, his work ethic on the field. But, yeah, Tigers fans are gutted about it because what he’s doing now he’s doing at another club,” Marshall said.

Moorebank junior Talau isn’t the only up-and-coming Tiger that has the ability to be a selection bolter in 2020.

Marshall also said one particular forward was destined for NRL stardom.

“Alex Seyfarth, he’s a young forward we have, who again has the potential to be something special. But it can be hard with young guys because it’s one thing to have potential but it’s another thing to go and prove it because the game is getting so much harder,” he said.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...o/news-story/4200bf98771a6872c473f9dfa1e23c58

Good write up, I'd say he is a big reason we let Marsters go. Also glad to hear Seyfarth is impressing, has improved out of sight over the past 18 months.

Well we really need young Tommy to live up to the hype, hopefully he is a good level headed youngster too and not a full on self absorbed wanker like Moses and Tedesco.

The unknown

Juniors
That's a pretty big wrap coming from Marshall. Full pre season under his belt, hopefully lives up to the hype.

Latest posts