What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"South East QLD Titans"

GAZF

First Grade
is ok whilst there is no other "SYDNEY" team, they actually had the right idea when they went to SYDNEY CITY when we named 5 teams SYDNEY.
Its a weird one because "Sydney" refers to both the City of Sydney and the wider region. Had the Roosters adopted a more traditional logo design when going with "Sydney City", instead of the ham-handed rooster running with the footy, it could have pulled an identity off similar to Man City, which would have avoided this mess all-together.

big hit!

Bench
Sydney Roosters.

I'm sure Sydney Roosters were originally referencing the suburb (city) of Sydney and inner-city areas (mostly to the east), rather than the metropolitan of Sydney. And taken in context of their location and history, this is what it is. Obviously they benefit from the metropolitan-wide name, but they are predominantly a city and eastern suburbs club. This is why it works for them. The crest on the Rooster head on the logo is the outline of the Opera House!

It didn't work for the Bulldogs and Tigers because their application was too broad, i.e., metropolitan-wide, when there were another 8 or 9 clubs in that same metropolitan.

It's similar to Melbourne in the AFL. They benefit from the metropolitan-wide name, but the club is very much 'Melbourne' in terms of it's conservatism, associations of elite-ness, and ties with the MCC. Most of it's support base comes from the toff area in the suburbs immediately south-east of the CBD - south yarra, toorak, prahan, armadale, malvern, etc

SEQ is a shit name. Remain GC, and market themselves as both a QLD coast and a northern rivers NSW club.

beave

Coach
I honestly just can't see a second Brisbane team working. The Broncos are just such a huge brand up there. The Cowboys took a long time to win fans over from the locals. Even now, 1/4 of the fans at 1300TEETH are wearing broncs jerseys.They are 200km away. It was really lucky that Thurston did his thing up there. If it wasn't for that I'm not sure the club would have been so successful

well when Cowboys play in Brisbane there is probably around 20% of the 40k plus crowd there supporting NQ.....

Perth Red

Post Whore
So the owners have said its rubbish, the ceo has said its rubbish yet the media still keeps discussing it like it’s a fact. Whose the source of this “rumour”?

Nrl has no endgame, compare the support of the titans to the resource and other help the suns have had from respective head offices and it’s not hard to see why we lurch from these problems to the next with new clubs.

T-Boon

Coach
SEQ is a shit name. Remain GC, and market themselves as both a QLD coast and a northern rivers NSW club.

That has been part of the problem. You cant be a team part representing Qld part representing NSW.
Its like Seinfeld with the black and white cookie. "look to the cookie!"....Good intensions but you just end up with an upset stomach because they dont get along.

T-Boon

Coach
however i am yet (and i dont support the idea of a 2nd bris team anyway) to think of a way to name a new brisbane team, it CANNOT be Brisbane, THATS a stupid american thing to do. UNLESS we went Brisbane City Broncos and then South/West/ etc Brisbane So-and-sos... but def dont wanna see broncos change their name.

North Brisbane Broncbros
South Brisbane Bronchoes

Tiger5150

Bench
I'm sure Sydney Roosters were originally referencing the suburb (city) of Sydney and inner-city areas (mostly to the east), rather than the metropolitan of Sydney. And taken in context of their location and history, this is what it is. Obviously they benefit from the metropolitan-wide name, but they are predominantly a city and eastern suburbs club. This is why it works for them. The crest on the Rooster head on the logo is the outline of the Opera House!

It didn't work for the Bulldogs and Tigers because their application was too broad, i.e., metropolitan-wide, when there were another 8 or 9 clubs in that same metropolitan.

It's similar to Melbourne in the AFL. They benefit from the metropolitan-wide name, but the club is very much 'Melbourne' in terms of it's conservatism, associations of elite-ness, and ties with the MCC. Most of it's support base comes from the toff area in the suburbs immediately south-east of the CBD - south yarra, toorak, prahan, armadale, malvern, etc

I can only speak for Balmain at the time but the rationale behind the Sydney Tigers was to attract international sponsors who know where Sydney was but not what/where Balmain was.

This all happened pre-SL war because the ARL handed down a list of criteria that all clubs had to meet to gain acceptance into the ARL including turnover, juniors, corporate areas, average home crowds etc. Pretty much the same as the post SL war criteria

Americans are stupid?
They invented TV, the internet

Are you sure? Thought Scottish and English people were the ones who actually cracked it regarding the TV and the Internet. On another piece of equipment, apparently it was a Welsh guy who invented the microphone.

flippikat

Bench
Nrl has no endgame, compare the support of the titans to the resource and other help the suns have had from respective head offices and it’s not hard to see why we lurch from these problems to the next with new clubs.

Precisely.

When it comes to having a plan, a vision, an "endgame" the AFL (while not perfect) is streets ahead of any other code in Australia.

Yes, the on-again off-again non-relocation of North Melbourne was a bit ham-fisted, but they wanted teams in all the mainland state capitals (done in the 1990s), then focused on turning that into derbies in every capital (close enough in the case of the Suns).. and they did it. They still have to answer questions about a talent dilution, a possible 3rd WA team, Tasmania & the oversaturation in Melbourne.. but they have a damn good footprint.

A-League is getting it's act together too.. and after the 3rd teams in Sydney & Melbourne have been playing for a few seasons, the next round of expansion brings up a lot of interesting questions.

If I was Todd, I'd be talking to A-League executives about how the two organisations can lobby to get the best rectangular stadium upgrades that the sports can utilise year-round.. especially if the A-League want to look at Queensland expansion again.

Peet

Juniors
What’s the distance from Brisbane CBD to the GC like? Is it comparable to Sydney to Penrith?
Southport to Brisbane CBD is about an hour's drive at the most. Sydney CBD to Penrith - about 2 days (3 days, if you hit peak hour)

Peet

Juniors
GC moving to brisbane doesn’t really help Perth’s cause IMO. The game needs 2 teams to create more content for broadcasters to justify a rise in the tv deals. They’d still have to create 2 teams even if the Titans move to Brisbane IMO.
Fine, Perth & Central Coast Bears - solved.

jim_57

Staff member
Fine, Perth & Central Coast Bears - solved.

All we have is a rumour.

One that doesn't make much sense, I'd have to imagine the NRL would knock it on the head if there was any reality to it as it is the worst of both worlds. The NRL would lose it's Gold Coast presence that still has potential with a winning team and would have a shit compromise on their favoured 2nd Brisbane team.

If it happens the NRL is just as inept as the Titans have been the last 10 years.

Reflector

Juniors
Here's an idea I had out of left-field:

The Titans play half their season home games at Suncorp, 1/4 of their home games at Robina and the other 1/4 in Ipswich. They could play their biggest drawing matches at Suncorp, so:

- Bulldogs
- Dragons
- Broncos
- Souths
- Eels
- Tigers

Then play teams like Manly, Newcastle and the Warriors in Robina with the rest at Ipswich.

The Titans brand and colours don't really have any sentimental value, which would help in this hypothetical. Change the colours to something more marketable and distinctive, and change the team name to 'Queenslanders', marketing themselves as a team for people all across SEQ. Have scouts and development officers on the GC, Ipswich, Toowoomba and sell themselves as the most attractive proposition for country Qld players. The beauty of this branding and strategy is that it also promotes them as "the people's team"- a team for Qlders all across the South-Eastern regions- while the Broncos are the team of the rich city-slickers. Never mind they play half their games in Brisbane, because you're aiming the team at the concrete cowboys and the dyed in the wool QRL types who find the Broncos too "corporate"

Thoughts?

mistertaylor

Juniors
Fake news. Titans will remain on GC with current owners.

Onfield success is the key to fans, sponsors, memberships.

flippikat

Bench
Here's an idea I had out of left-field:

The Titans play half their season home games at Suncorp, 1/4 of their home games at Robina and the other 1/4 in Ipswich.

Food for thought.

If the name is "South Queensland *something*", this mix of home games (or something similar) could be a go.

As well as that, if I was the NRL I'd be keen to see the Cowboys take a lower-pulling game or two to Cairns each season to take top-tier footy to their secondary population centre.

South Queensland, North Queensland & Brisbane.. and when another fulltime Brisbane team comes in (Dolphins playing all home games at Suncorp?), the South Queensland team can change their mix so there's more of their games away from Suncorp.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Onfield success is the key to fans, sponsors, memberships.

If that's the case then why have teams like the Warriors, Bulldogs and Newcastle been nabbing multinational sponsors (Vodafone, KIA, NIB), while the Storm's main sponsor is a real estate startup that closed its Australian division in May of this year and Easts are sponsored by a chicken farm?

Latest posts