What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"South East QLD Titans"

beave

Coach
Food for thought.

If the name is "South Queensland *something*", this mix of home games (or something similar) could be a go.

As well as that, if I was the NRL I'd be keen to see the Cowboys take a lower-pulling game or two to Cairns each season to take top-tier footy to their secondary population centre.

South Queensland, North Queensland & Brisbane.. and when another fulltime Brisbane team comes in (Dolphins playing all home games at Suncorp?), the South Queensland team can change their mix so there's more of their games away from Suncorp.

No offence but your NQ idea is shithouse. We’re getting a brand new stadium and need the content to justify it to the QLD gov. Barlow park in Cairns is a dump with zero corporate facilities, good luck trying to sell corporate boxes to companies when they don’t get the full 12 home games. Tvl is also central for everyone in NQ, you move a game to Cairns, you add another 4 hours onto the 4 hours people from Mackay already have to travel.

Quicksilver

Bench
Might have known, it was a Fittler brain fart on Ch9, picked up by sht media and turned into a story with no basis in fact. This sht is very damaging to a club, they should consider suing if there is no truth in it.

I don’t think chasing a jibberer for a nothing court action should be at the top of their priorities.

T-Boon

Coach
Might have known, it was a Fittler brain fart on Ch9, picked up by sht media and turned into a story with no basis in fact. This sht is very damaging to a club, they should consider suing if there is no truth in it.

It is the most attention the Titans have had in 2 years so they should be happy.

big hit!

Bench
That has been part of the problem. You cant be a team part representing Qld part representing NSW.
Its like Seinfeld with the black and white cookie. "look to the cookie!"....Good intensions but you just end up with an upset stomach because they dont get along.

i don't think it's as black and white as identifying as a NSW club or QLD club. Although, I would've decided against blue or maroon as a primary colour and adopted a neutral identity.

The club were doing well for support in the first few seasons. It destroyed the goodwill it had initially built with the community with the Centre of Excellence development debacle. The stadium deal was the worst in the NRL as well. It wasn't sustainable. It was (probably still is) the most expensive hire and play arrangement in the country. At least the AFL had the foresight to buy the management rights at Cararra so they could make some coin out of the joint. If the terms at Robina were more ideal, Titans may have been much more financially secure in the long-term. They needed to get 20k crowds paying inflated ticket prices every match from the get-go which they were getting before the Titans name became mud after going into debt and not paying subbies. All well and good for the QLD govt to provide a new stadium for the team, fairly f**ked of them to set an exorbitant price for the team to pay for the privilege. You'd think a long-term strategy benefiting both parties would've been a better approach. End of the day, who will play out of the venue if GC Titans can't afford to or fold?

big hit!

Bench
Food for thought.

If the name is "South Queensland *something*", this mix of home games (or something similar) could be a go.

As well as that, if I was the NRL I'd be keen to see the Cowboys take a lower-pulling game or two to Cairns each season to take top-tier footy to their secondary population centre.

South Queensland, North Queensland & Brisbane.. and when another fulltime Brisbane team comes in (Dolphins playing all home games at Suncorp?), the South Queensland team can change their mix so there's more of their games away from Suncorp.

Only in Australia do sports teams have multiple home grounds, because the country is so small but yet tries to be BIG league. We have Souths selling games across the country, Easts take a game or two away, teams sharing venues within Sydney. And the AFL do the same too - Hawthorn and North Melbourne play home games in Tasmania, and 9 clubs share two generic grounds in the centre of melbourne. And let's not even talk about the fact that there aren't enough quality players in Australia to fill 16 professional rugby league teams and 18 professional AFL teams. Then you have rugby which has become a blip on the radar.

Both leagues are a house of cards, propped up by TV rights because the country can't actually support the leagues with people attending games. AFL money disappears from GC & GWS and they're gone. Yet we talk about expansion with another couple of teams in the NRL taking it to 18 clubs?? C'mon. Sydney clubs need to rationalise and any expansion is only geographic in nature, keeping the comp at 16 clubs.

NRL need to look at making the comp an event again. 26 rounds of plod before finals, and you wouldn't even know the comp is on during 6 weeks of origin unless you actively looked for it.

Quicksilver

Bench
Who cares that it’s propped up by TV?

It’s a massive audience compared to what you could get at any ground anywhere. TV should be propping up the game.

T-Boon

Coach
Only in Australia do sports teams have multiple home grounds, because the country is so small but yet tries to be BIG league. We have Souths selling games across the country, Easts take a game or two away, teams sharing venues within Sydney. And the AFL do the same too - Hawthorn and North Melbourne play home games in Tasmania, and 9 clubs share two generic grounds in the centre of melbourne. And let's not even talk about the fact that there aren't enough quality players in Australia to fill 16 professional rugby league teams and 18 professional AFL teams. Then you have rugby which has become a blip on the radar.

Both leagues are a house of cards, propped up by TV rights because the country can't actually support the leagues with people attending games. AFL money disappears from GC & GWS and they're gone. Yet we talk about expansion with another couple of teams in the NRL taking it to 18 clubs?? C'mon. Sydney clubs need to rationalise and any expansion is only geographic in nature, keeping the comp at 16 clubs.

NRL need to look at making the comp an event again. 26 rounds of plod before finals, and you wouldn't even know the comp is on during 6 weeks of origin unless you actively looked for it.

Neutral site games are massive in college football which is arguably the biggest sport in the world in terms of crowds.
Virginia Tech v Tennessee got 160k at a neutral site a couple years ago. All the bowl games are neutral site.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
As Gus would say.... no, no, no, no, no

Look, I've called previously for the Gold Coast licence to be moved to Brisbane if they don't get their shit together. But first of all, let's give them another decade at least to try and do this. The potential is there, in the beginning they were averaging 20k crowds on the Gold Coast. They have been through a mess on and off the field since. Let's see if they can return to their potential before we just rip them out of the Coast and let a major QLD city become an AFL town.

Secondly, if after giving the Titans a good shake at the Gold Coast and it still doesn't work, fair enough. Relocate them to Brisbane and grow the team there. But it has got to be all in. This 8 games in Brisbane, 4 games on the Gold Coast is attempting to please everyone and will end up pleasing no one.

The goal of Brisbane 2 (whoever it is) has to bring 12 additional NRL games to Suncorp Stadium. The goal of the Gold Coast NRL team is to bring 12 NRL games to CBUS stadium until / unless the venture is proven to be unviable.

greenBV4

Bench
As Gus would say.... no, no, no, no, no

Look, I've called previously for the Gold Coast licence to be moved to Brisbane if they don't get their shit together. But first of all, let's give them another decade at least to try and do this. The potential is there, in the beginning they were averaging 20k crowds on the Gold Coast. They have been through a mess on and off the field since. Let's see if they can return to their potential before we just rip them out of the Coast and let a major QLD city become an AFL town.

Secondly, if after giving the Titans a good shake at the Gold Coast and it still doesn't work, fair enough. Relocate them to Brisbane and grow the team there. But it has got to be all in. This 8 games in Brisbane, 4 games on the Gold Coast is attempting to please everyone and will end up pleasing no one.

The goal of Brisbane 2 (whoever it is) has to bring 12 additional NRL games to Suncorp Stadium. The goal of the Gold Coast NRL team is to bring 12 NRL games to CBUS stadium until / unless the venture is proven to be unviable.

as Gus did say:

Gould felt the biggest failure of the club was their inability to attract support from the area of northern NSW and really establish a wide fanbase.

“It’s failed over a long period of time to establish what kind of club it is. If it just wants to be a club on the Glitter Strip at the Gold Coast it will get the sort of results that it’s got right now,” Gould said.

“But it has to be a beacon of inspiration and aspiration for all kids everywhere; if they want to play in the NRL this is the place they want to be and they just haven’t done that.

“You know, from the northern coast of NSW all the way through to Brisbane is a huge growth area in our country. You look at that freeway now that runs from Brisbane all the way past the Gold Coast and all the way down to the Northern NSW towns — this is an area that had to be cultivated, it had to be established.

“It’s just not the Gold Coast, we’re just not talking about Mermaid Beach down to Broadbeach, it’s much more than that, it’s got to represent a much larger area and it’s got to have pathways programs and, people in that area have got to feel like that’s their team.

The shouldn't go re-branding themselves again either, maybe a slight touchup but not a rebrand. I actually quite like the "two-blues and gold" colour pallet, I think its very Gold Coast-y and the light blue they use its different/darker to the sky blue of the sharks and NSW but lighter than the other blue teams, they just need to decide how much of each colour they use and stick with it (not their current jersey). The logo could benefit from a redesign as well.

That has been part of the problem. You cant be a team part representing Qld part representing NSW.

yes you can, its not origin

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Here are some of what I think their problems are:

1. the name Titans (what is that? and how do you represent it on a badge? this adds to identity problem)

2. no real identifiiable colours let alone colour scheme (so jerseys are not really adding to their identity)

3. they arent really attracting Queensland players/coaches the way they should (I think because they arent clearly a Qld team)

Some possible solutions:

1. I think they are stuck with Titans, but maybe go a differnt direction to the other NRL clubs and make the badge more dominant on the jersey, double its size.
2. They certainly arent stuck with their jersey or colours. Go red or red and black or red and yellow. A very simple scheme, not some rainbow of differnt shades of colours. Get the jersey being the most identifiably jersey in the competition. Dont have 10 different jerseys for each week.
3. Get a very high profile queensland coach like Bennett.

greenBV4

Bench
Here are some of what I think their problems are:

1. the name Titans (what is that? and how do you represent it on a badge? this adds to identity problem)
A titan is basically a greek god, hence the hoplite helmet and swords in their current logo

I made this a few years back off a logo i think I found somewhere on the internet as a tweak of the titans logo a few years back, basically keeping the helmet, but giving a ocean theme to it in the form of the cape making a "wave" and a trident instead of swords

Gold Coast Titans.png

2. no real identifiable colours let alone colour scheme (so jerseys are not really adding to their identity)
They do have identifiable colours and scheme, "two blues and gold", they just choose to keep messing with it, especially with their last few abominations..

I'd go with something like this (using the blk jersey creator), inspired by their first few jerseys

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

If blue and gold weren't recognisable colours then the Suns wouldn't of basically copied the Titans inaugural jersey as their class guernsey...

GCSRCGL19M_Gold-Coast-Suns-2019-Mens-Replica-Clash-Guernsey_1__1007557767.jpg
3. they arent really attracting Queensland players/coaches the way they should (I think because they arent clearly a Qld team)
Why is it they they only have to attract Queensland talent? They have one of the best junior nurseries in the league and should be better developing and retaining those players, that includes the gold coast and all the way down the northern rivers and north coast of NSW.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
A titan is basically a greek god, hence the hoplite helmet and swords in their current logo

I made this a few years back off a logo i think I found somewhere on the internet as a tweak of the titans logo a few years back, basically keeping the helmet, but giving a ocean theme to it in the form of the cape making a "wave" and a trident instead of swords

View attachment 31549

They do have identifiable colours and scheme, "two blues and gold", they just choose to keep messing with it, especially with their last few abominations..

I'd go with something like this (using the blk jersey creator), inspired by their first few jerseys

View attachment 31551

If blue and gold weren't recognisable colours then the Suns wouldn't of basically copied the Titans inaugural jersey...

View attachment 31550

Why is it they they only have to attract Queensland talent? They have one of the best junior nurseries in the league and should be better developing and retaining those players, that includes the gold coast and all the way down the northern rivers and north coast of NSW.

I really like the badge you have done. Nice work. Maybe make it a bit bigger on the jersey.
The rest we can agree to disagree.
Actually it would probably be an okay jersey without that ad and if the yellow strip would just a strip without the white arrows.
I wonder how it would look with the badge in place of the ad (large and in the middle) and the ad sommeone in one of the corners.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Titans is one of those names that is popular in American football. So there are the Tennessee Titans and numerous high school teams (including of course Coach Boon's Titans). The GC Titans should troll all those American football teams and pinch all these themes and traditions they have at their home games.

Western_Eel

Juniors
I don't understand why everyone thinks a second brisbane team will be more successful than the gold coast. I just don't see it. why would anyone who supports brisbane support brisbane 2?

T-Boon

Coach
I don't understand why everyone thinks a second brisbane team will be more successful than the gold coast. I just don't see it. why would anyone who supports brisbane support brisbane 2?

If that was the case (I dont think it is) then you would relocate the Broncos (to Perth) and start again in Brisbane with three new teams.