What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garth Brennan and Titans part ways, Holbrook to take over in 2020

ram raid

Bench
Is it unfair that I hate the people on the GC now? Not anyone personally, just in the abstract. I feel like they've disrespected my beloved NRL. I may be prejudiced because every time I've been there I've felt out of place among the tourist traps and dumb tourists touristing them. It's like a glittering sewer. It has all the conceit and artificiality of Los Angeles without any of the substance. The best foreign analogue I can think of for the GC is Miami in America. Which is kind of like a backwards L.A. They all rally behind their Miami Dolphins though. In spite of their sugary existence.

Peet

Juniors
I remember back in 2004-05 when the NRL was looking to expand and it was the Gold Coast bid in the running for the 16th spot vs the Central Coast Bears. The CC had a brand with almost 100 years history, a modern stadium ready to go, guaranteed backers, a combined area that had more than 1 million people and direct access to some of the richest potential sponsors in Australia. They were clearly the best bid in every key factor that would actually matter. Yet so many people were blinded by "too many teams in Sydney" and claimed GC should be in because "we need more Qld teams", the end. I tried pointing out that the GC was the wrong place for a professional sports team and that all the other failed ventures across the sports codes were no coincidence. But the NRL yet again showed no foresight and clearly believed an area of 600k people + a Qld postcode= success.

And now here we are, 15 years later. Irony is, the Bears relocating up there and taking the licence could be the one thing that worked for a GC NRL team!
Again, another person with a common sense approach. The Central Coast Bears (with a huge amount of juniors, tradition, etc) was the go, but admitting they didn't always know everything has never been an NRL trait. However, there is still time: Move the Titans to Brisbane & then bring in Central Coast & Perth when expansion is considered..

Reflector

Juniors
Again, another person with a common sense approach. The Central Coast Bears (with a huge amount of juniors, tradition, etc) was the go, but admitting they didn't always know everything has never been an NRL trait. However, there is still time: Move the Titans to Brisbane & then bring in Central Coast & Perth when expansion is considered..

Besides the A-League, the NRL is the only other major league in this country that has expansion bids bashing on the door to be let into the comp instead of putting teams in "strategic" areas where the locals generally couldn't give a shit, then siphoning millions of dollars into trying to make them work.

The NRL could legitimately repeat 1995 and admit 4 new teams. I disagree with those who think there's not the reasonable playing talent or the money available to make this viable.

Stallion

First Grade
Besides the A-League, the NRL is the only other major league in this country that has expansion bids bashing on the door to be let into the comp instead of putting teams in "strategic" areas where the locals generally couldn't give a shit, then siphoning millions of dollars into trying to make them work.

The NRL could legitimately repeat 1995 and admit 4 new teams. I disagree with those who think there's not the reasonable playing talent or the money available to make this viable.

Fully agree! It's as if this envied competition is being contained and constrained? Keep feeling there is someone in the background making sure that rugby league doesn't grow and prosper.

Exsilium

First Grade
Dragons fans be waiting for the day a thread is titled “Paul McGregor and St. George-Illawarra part ways”

More likely to be

“Paul McGregor extends following emphatic victory over cellar dwellers”

DeeJ

Bench
I never really liked his tenure at the Broncos, but Griffin was good with the juniors and young talent. Maybe put him in for a few years to rebuild and bring up local players. Titans have been throwing big money at duds for too long now and it's hurting them (Dave Taylor, McQueen and Ash taylor now).

The Gold Coast shouldn't be a place where you have to pay overs to get players over.

davi

Juniors
Reports are Justin Holbrook will get the nod. The problem is Holbrook is some what untried despite coaching in Superleague which brings them into Garth Brennan type territory again . For all the knocks on Anthony Griffin you can atleast say that he had a respectable NRL record to draw on.

I'm over the Titans bagging In the media. Wendell Sailor pleading Kevin Walters not to take the job it's all getting a bit much. Gordan Tallis has also slammed Wayne Bennett suggesting the Titans rejected his overtures suggesting Bennett has made overtures to Panthers and Dragons as well. He also noted it was more likely Bennett was using those teams as bargaining chips and pointed to Bennett's failure at the Knights as a coach who doesn't know how to rebuild a club and thrives more when a contender is in place.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Same story again, Holbrook will come in, they'll suck for another two seasons and the cycle continues. The Titans are like Manly last year, no one wants to be there. The difference is we sorted that shit out immediately, they've allowed it to fester for close to a decade. They have no identity, no club culture and no connection to the community at large. If they want a successful Gold Coast franchise they're going to need a hard reboot. This is a band aid on a much bigger problem.

mongoose

Coach
Holbrook's record in Super League is impressive but yeah, how is he any different to Brennan?
I guess there's not many other options, although I was wondering what Shane Flanagan was up to?

They dodged a bullet with Kevvie, I guess some might think Kevvie dodged a bullet with the Titans.

typicalfan

Coach
Sadly for Brennan, most of his purchases were flops especially the ones he brought from Penrith. Those players have ruined his career imo. Terrible shame. Mal needs to lay down the law.

Justin Holbrook will be the new coach of the Titans.

He beat out a bid from Kevin Walters.

Holbrook has taken St Helens to the top of the Super League table by a big margin.

There is every reason to believe that he can lift the Titans into the top 8 in 2020, especially if he brings with him some top class players like Johnny Lomax and Theo Fages.

Jean Capdouze

Juniors
Justin Holbrook will be the new coach of the Titans.

He beat out a bid from Kevin Walters.

Holbrook has taken St Helens to the top of the Super League table by a big margin.

There is every reason to believe that he can lift the Titans into the top 8 in 2020, especially if he brings with him some top class players like Johnny Lomax and Theo Fages.
He has a remarkable win/loss record with St Helens, I can see them making a good run at the finals with a few quality European players in 2020.

some11

Referee
eJ97Z9n.png
pUiBSXA.gif

Latest posts