What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-190707702-sd.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Hunt credits pre-season 'flogging' for Origin resilience
Author
Joel Gould NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 8 Jul 2019, 08:00 PM
gouldjoe-head.png

Ben Hunt credits an absolute "flogging" from Dragons head of athletic performance Nathan Pickworth for getting him in the physical shape to play 80 minutes as Maroons hooker.

The 29-year-old St George Illawarra halfback has been arguably Queensland's best player in the opening two games of the State of Origin series at hooker, playing full games in both.

In Origin I he made 53 tackles with just three misses and he backed that up with 44 tackles in Origin II. He missed seven tackles in that game but was in the thick of it as NSW ran riot.

It was also a Hunt grubber that led to his side's only four-pointer courtesy of a penalty try to Will Chambers.

"It was a bloody tough pre-season under Nathan Pickworth, the head of performance down there," Hunt grinned.

"I thought I had done some pretty tough pre-seasons in my time. In my early days at the Broncos there were definitely a few and I was a bit overweight back then, which is probably what was making them hard.

Maroons to make call on Gillett on Tuesday

"The last two pre-seasons down at the Dragons have been really tough with all the kilometres they get into the legs, running. The beauty of it is that they flog the hell out of us and then in season we get a lot of time off and freshen up in between games.

"[Pickworth] has got me running the Ks I just didn't think I could do. It has got me fit and at the best weight I have played at. I am playing at 87 or 88 kilos."

That is a far cry from what he weighed at some stages at the Broncos when he was playing dummy-half. It was put to Hunt that he had got up to 91kg at one stage.

"Keep going," he chuckled.

"The heaviest game I think I played at was high 95s. It wasn't pretty, but in saying that I had some good years where I was playing 88 or 89 but I couldn't have done 80 minutes in the middle."

Pickworth's drills and Hunt's application have made the Queensland rake as physically strong as he has ever been and the mental spin-offs have been invaluable in the Origin series.

"I think that is half the battle with playing that game in the middle. You have to tell yourself that you just have to do this," he said.

"There are a lot of guys at our club and others who have I played with that are a hell of a lot of fitter than me but just don't have that mentality that you have to get through it."

If Hunt can add one extra dimension to his game in the series decider at ANZ Stadium it would be to ignite his running game.

"It is definitely hard but in game two I was definitely ready to run. I had the gas to do it. I was just sitting back waiting for an opportunity, looking for a marker down or a quick play-the-ball … but it just wasn't coming," Hunt said.

Hunt expects rookie Norman to shine at five-eighth

"Looking back at the game, and the type of game State of Origin is, everyone defends so well and it is so slow in there [at the ruck] that you have to create your own opportunities."

Maroons skipper Daly Cherry-Evans said he would assist Hunt to run more while making the point that getting momentum through the middle of the park would also be crucial on Wednesday.

"My responsibility is probably some communication, making sure we are nice and clear what our roles are, and that will give Ben Hunt a bit of freedom," Cherry-Evans said.

"Also, we have to get some quick play-the-balls for him. There's no reason for Ben Hunt to get slow play the balls, that's a big part of our game helping Ben get out of dummy half. We all have a role to play in that whether it is pushing up with the ball or getting quick play-the-balls."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/08/hunt-credits-dragons-pre-season-flogging-for-origin-resilience/

lynx000

Juniors
I am interested in the supporter's thoughts on Ben Hunt now you have had the experience of him for going on three years?

Are you supporters still happy with the decision to sign him and/or the amount he is being paid. If you could revisit the decision would you still sign him?

Do you still think he can deliver a premiership as a halfback?

getsmarty

Immortal
I am interested in the supporter's thoughts on Ben Hunt now you have had the experience of him for going on three years?

Are you supporters still happy with the decision to sign him and/or the amount he is being paid. If you could revisit the decision would you still sign him?

Happy with the signing....We won't win anything with the current coaching staff....

TruSaint

Referee

With Mary as coach, Hunt wont be delivering any titles mate.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Hmmm... I’m guessing you are struggling with football concepts at the moment, so let me tell story..

One day there was a man pushing a car..

The man, let’s call him Gareth, was annoyed.. It was his boss’s car, and his boss was a bit of a dunce who had put diesel fuel in an unleaded car..

Gareth was making progress, but it was slow.. A few people stopped along the way to assist, but they didn’t offer much in the way of help..

But then along came a man on a horse.. Let’s call him Ben.. Ben jumped off the horse and started to help Gareth push..

Together, Ben & Gareth were able to push the car further and faster..

Gareth started getting a sore shoulder, so sat on the side of the road to have a rest..

Ben continued to push the car by himself, he still made progress but it was a bit slower as he had to do the work of two men..

Just then an old man on a motorised scooter rode past and yelled at Ben, saying he was useless because the car wasn’t being pushed along at the same speed as when both Gareth & Ben were pushing it..

Ben just smiled as the old man had forgotten to wear pants..

Suddenly some techno music could be heard, and a party bus pulled up.. A man, let’s call him Corey, dances off the bus and comes over to help Ben push the car..

Together they started making progress, pushing the car faster than Ben could when he was alone.

But the old man rode past again, this time yelling at Ben that he was lazy because he couldn’t push the car by himself..

But Ben just smiled as the old man rode straight into a puddle, whilst Ben & Corey continued to push the car faster together..

The End

Ps. You may be wondering what happened to the horse. It went back to Brisbane where it was eaten by a Bird.

A beautiful story Muzby. Now tell us the one about Goldicoach and the three bench warmers.

BLM01

First Grade

This is only his 2nd year and happy with him
May I ask the same question for Milford (nearly 5 years now) and Jack Bird

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Hmmm... I’m guessing you are struggling with football concepts at the moment, so let me tell story..

The man, let’s call him Gareth, was annoyed.. It was his boss’s car, and his boss was a bit of a dunce who had put diesel fuel in an unleaded car..

Gareth was making progress, but it was slow.. A few people stopped along the way to assist, but they didn’t offer much in the way of help..

But then along came a man on a horse.. Let’s call him Ben.. Ben jumped off the horse and started to help Gareth push..

Gareth started getting a sore shoulder, so sat on the side of the road to have a rest..

Ben continued to push the car by himself, he still made progress but it was a bit slower as he had to do the work of two men..

Just then an old man on a motorised scooter rode past and yelled at Ben, saying he was useless because the car wasn’t being pushed along at the same speed as when both Gareth & Ben were pushing it..

Suddenly some techno music could be heard, and a party bus pulled up.. A man, let’s call him Corey, dances off the bus and comes over to help Ben push the car..

Together they started making progress, pushing the car faster than Ben could when he was alone.

But the old man rode past again, this time yelling at Ben that he was lazy because he couldn’t push the car by himself..

But Ben just smiled as the old man rode straight into a puddle, whilst Ben & Corey continued to push the car faster together..

The End

Ps. You may be wondering what happened to the horse. It went back to Brisbane where it was eaten by a Bird.

Poetic genius Muzby...one of your best......

Walpole

Juniors

The End

Have to say, there's probably something wrong with me, but I did enjoy that. I was waiting for the part where all three of them were trying to push the car in different directions because they weren't sure where the boss actually wanted the car to go...

lynx000

Juniors
This is only his 2nd year and happy with him
May I ask the same question for Milford (nearly 5 years now) and Jack Bird
I wasn't trolling. Bird has not been a good signing for us at all. It never made sense to me in the first place, I could not see how he fitted in. But in Uncle Wayne we trusted.

I think Milford has been a good signing, he all but won us the 2015 GF but was let down by a number of team mates. The problem for him is that we have tried to turn him into something that he isn't, and he has also been let down by a fairly poor spine supporting him in the time that he has been with us.

Dragons 09

Juniors

He goes alright i reckon.

In the JA forum, we have a thing called "Golden Serbs", it's a 3, 2, 1 for each game, Benny is winning it so that means most of us here think he is our most valuable player.

Before the Dally M's went behind closed doors, Benny was our highest ranked player by a country mile so even the "experts" believe he is our MVP.

Can he win a premiership, yeah i think so, but i don't think Storm, Roosters, Rabbits or Raiders are looking for a half back at the moment so he just has to bide his time until he can get a real coach.

yes but no chance under McGregor

TruSaint

Referee
Ben’s great signing imo.

Best 7 we’ve had in a long, long time.

Great footy IQ, always dangerous with the ball, average to good kicker, people bag his defence but miss a lot of good work he does in D.

Worth every penny.

Thing is mate, whilst I agree with you, we haven't developed him further.

In my opinion, he is instructed to catch and pass too often, and also resort to the bomb on 5th be it from half way or 30 out. He has a smart shorter kicking game, and can also kick to the corners when need be, but our 5th tackle options are seriously lacking. Wanna see him take on the line more as well.

He's a good player no doubt, but yet to peak IMHO. He has a few gears left in him..

ALSGI

Bench
Thing is mate, whilst I agree with you, we haven't developed him further.

In my opinion, he is instructed to catch and pass too often, and also resort to the bomb on 5th be it from half way or 30 out. He has a smart shorter kicking game, and can also kick to the corners when need be, but our 5th tackle options are seriously lacking. Wanna see him take on the line more as well.

He's a good player no doubt, but yet to peak IMHO. He has a few gears left in him..
Agree 99% mate.

I don’t think a 7 his age can be further developed much (especially by our coaching team) but the game plan should be developed around his strengths eg the short kicking game, taking on the line as you mentioned.

TruSaint

Referee
Agree 99% mate.

I don’t think a 7 his age can be further developed much (especially by our coaching team) but the game plan should be developed around his strengths eg the short kicking game, taking on the line as you mentioned.

Developed is the wrong term .. agreed.
But you get my drift... He has more in his arsenal as you say, that we don't see enough and I put that down to game plan.