What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Reynolds - GONER

WA Tiger

Bench
Maybe this is just about trying to get rid of Reynolds. I assume Madge expects Benji to play on and will basically guarantee him his spot because he thinks he is better than Reynolds. If not Madge would still prefer some money in the cap.
Madge loves Benji ...He May even pay him more to play on ...I think that now Benji’s lighter 89kg not 95kg he can move around easier..

Maybe this is just about trying to get rid of Reynolds. I assume Madge expects Benji to play on and will basically guarantee him his spot because he thinks he is better than Reynolds. If not Madge would still prefer some money in the cap.

Yeah, but if not, no benji or grub. So I’d rather keep grub in case benji can’t play because he’s still a talented player.

The only reason you wouldn’t keep grub is if his playing health is too tenuous. We know he’s in bad shape, but the extent of that might be far greater than we think.

Clubs aren’t stupid, they’d know we’d only be offloading grub pre-benji because we don’t think he has what it takes for the full time nrl duties. Therefore they will only pay beer money for him and we are stuck with the rest of the stupid contract we gave him.

Just a very bad decision to announce this now.
We might have saved a bit if we’d thought about it.

It would be better if grub was full time nrl level fit but I doubt it.

The best option for us and grub is super league and the big bankroll they get to freeze and not understand the locals.

Last edited:

Wests is Best

Juniors
Given the terms, I say keep him as a backup. Unless he is broken beyond repair? but in that case who would take him even for a measly 200k.

Fordy20

Juniors
He came in pretty handy when Benji was injured at the start of the year. The blokes coming through would benefit from having a player of his quality playing along side them when trying to force their way into the top side. Blacktown has blokes like Elgey and Hodkinson as reserve grade halves and they really have Souths a run for their money the other week.

I'd much prefer to be paying for Grub to fill in at first grade level next year than be paying him to play elsewhere.

ram raid

Bench
It's unfortunate situation. I don't think he was ever worth what he was paid. And that's all become moot anyway because he appears to be made of sticky tape. But paying him to leave could end up embarrassing. I can imagine him killing it for another club next year, If he gets an off season to get his body right.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
He came in pretty handy when Benji was injured at the start of the year. The blokes coming through would benefit from having a player of his quality playing along side them when trying to force their way into the top side. Blacktown has blokes like Elgey and Hodkinson as reserve grade halves and they really have Souths a run for their money the other week.

I'd much prefer to be paying for Grub to fill in at first grade level next year than be paying him to play elsewhere.

Agree 100%....if he breaks down again go down the road of medical retirement. Better option than paying another club several 100k for his services.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
It's unfortunate situation. I don't think he was ever worth what he was paid. And that's all become moot anyway because he appears to be made of sticky tape. But paying him to leave could end up embarrassing. I can imagine him killing it for another club next year, If he gets an off season to get his body right.

The only way WT can get a good deal out of Reynolds leaving is if they take on an overpaid player from another club.

There are only one or two clubs that we could probably do a deal with - GC have a lot of highly paid players who are underperforming and when their new coach starts he will want fresh talent.

We could package up Mbye as well potentially as he is not worth anywhere the 950k he is on.

Mbye 950k (would take a return to Qld)
Reynolds 750k (told to make other arrangements)

for
Ash Taylor 1 mill (needs a fresh start and a right side player might complement Brooks)
Bryce Cartwright 600k ( assuming Laawrence is not re-signed we will need edge players)

I don't really rate Cartwright but we'd have to take someone of his ability back to make the deal amenable to the Titans

Das Hassler

Bench
I swear I read Mbye is on closer to 900k?

When he joined WT Im pretty sure Ivan extended his contract by another 1-2 years.

His market value is honestly no more than 300k. More dropped bombs last night :(

He dropped one and caught a bunch in heavy traffic
He has the skills ..just needs to lift the intensity like the rest of them. But hey...at least we may have ourselves a goalkicker which turns the screws on Marsters to justify his spot

Tiger05

First Grade
Ok thanks. ..so at 500k nett thats ok and by the time we are paying all of his money he will probably / hopefully be well worth it. In any case that's far short of the 950k that's neen quoted. ..his signing is not a weight on our cap

This amount makes sense. 500k hit to our cap isn't great but it's not bad.

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/c2ccb0522409d97105b7c145f676b9b5

Wests Tigers playmaker Josh Reynolds has not had any significant offers from rival NRL clubs despite being told he is free to negotiate for a new home in 2020.

Reynolds’ manager George Mimis has told The Sydney Morning Herald the interest has been minimal in his client, who may need to leave Sydney if he wants to play first grade next season.

The Panthers have already confirmed they are not interested in signing the 30-year-old, while Manly coach Des Hasler said the Sea Eagles are ‘no chance’ of squeezing in part or all of his $800,000 contract into their salary cap.

“We’re no chance with the cap, we’ve already got sanctions and we’re just getting over that. I’m sure he’ll land somewhere, but it won’t be in the maroon and white,” Hasler said on Sunday.

Manly have the least settled halves combination in Sydney and would have been a perfect fit for Reynolds, but it appears options to remain local are now sparse.

The Bulldogs also moved to put space between them and speculation Reynolds would make a homecoming.

Parramatta, South Sydney, the Roosters, Cronulla and the Dragons are his only options in Sydney — all of which either have a steady halves combination or limited salary cap space.

“It’s still early days. There a lot of machinations to come but there hasn’t been anything significant yet, no,” Reynolds’ manager George Mimis told the Sydney Morning Herald.

If he is unable to find a new club the Wests Tigers are happy to honour the remaining two years of his contract, although Reynolds is desperate to be back in first grade.

“There are a couple of waves. Obviously the pre-season is one of those especially for teams with new coaches coming in and the rosters changing,” Mimis said.

“But you also have some movement in September when teams aren’t in the finals start to make some moves.

“I have to say the Tigers have been tremendous throughout the year. Obviously they have Benji there but they are happy to honour the contract if a better option doesn’t arise.”

super_coach

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/c2ccb0522409d97105b7c145f676b9b5

Wests Tigers playmaker Josh Reynolds has not had any significant offers from rival NRL clubs despite being told he is free to negotiate for a new home in 2020.

Reynolds’ manager George Mimis has told The Sydney Morning Herald the interest has been minimal in his client, who may need to leave Sydney if he wants to play first grade next season.

The Panthers have already confirmed they are not interested in signing the 30-year-old, while Manly coach Des Hasler said the Sea Eagles are ‘no chance’ of squeezing in part or all of his $800,000 contract into their salary cap.

“We’re no chance with the cap, we’ve already got sanctions and we’re just getting over that. I’m sure he’ll land somewhere, but it won’t be in the maroon and white,” Hasler said on Sunday.

Manly have the least settled halves combination in Sydney and would have been a perfect fit for Reynolds, but it appears options to remain local are now sparse.

The Bulldogs also moved to put space between them and speculation Reynolds would make a homecoming.

Parramatta, South Sydney, the Roosters, Cronulla and the Dragons are his only options in Sydney — all of which either have a steady halves combination or limited salary cap space.

“It’s still early days. There a lot of machinations to come but there hasn’t been anything significant yet, no,” Reynolds’ manager George Mimis told the Sydney Morning Herald.

If he is unable to find a new club the Wests Tigers are happy to honour the remaining two years of his contract, although Reynolds is desperate to be back in first grade.

“There are a couple of waves. Obviously the pre-season is one of those especially for teams with new coaches coming in and the rosters changing,” Mimis said.

“But you also have some movement in September when teams aren’t in the finals start to make some moves.

“I have to say the Tigers have been tremendous throughout the year. Obviously they have Benji there but they are happy to honour the contract if a better option doesn’t arise.”

A great club because they are willing to honour his contract?? What choice do they have!! Nil

super_coach

First Grade
If they can’t shift JR they can’t offer Benji another year. You can not have two geriatrics on the same roster...cap space is to tight

Latest posts