What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 vs Panthers

Dorsai

Juniors
Couldn’t be bothered watching tonight. Frankly, I have lost the will to even get excited about footy season this year. Another season of failure under McIdiot.

I’d rather watch reruns of the Beverly hillbillies.

The saddest thing here is the board has no concern for the fan base. No respect for the great st George traditions and jersey. No idea on how to build a successful club.

They continue with an old boys club. An acceptance of mediocrity and a total contempt for the paying fan. They treat us like idiots and consider our opinions worth nothing.

In accepting the WIN money they knocked back an offer from another Australian company with global offices offering a considerable amount more than the WIN offer. Why? That is something we may never know. But it has assured a lot of individuals continuing jobs. No questions asked.

We now find ourselves in this position heading to an embarrassing bottom 4 finish. Yet McIdiot and his other old boys will keep their jobs whilst they groom the next old boy, in Barrett, to move in. Same, same, no different.

I have loved this club for 55 years or more. I am at the end of my tether though. I just can’t get excited about this amateurish poorly run bunch of buffoons much longer.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Norman is not serious, his defence was lazy and uncommitted and he never stepped up in Hunts curious absence. Empty promise I'm afraid.

All the boys look so damn depressed. Look what this club is doing to its players. You can't expect them to give their 110% if they don't enjoy being here. Norman, the larrikin who was so upbeat at the beginning of the season was so lazy and uncommitted as you said. Frizell, the wide-running and athletic backrower haven't had a line break set up for him I'm pretty sure since something like 2015. Tariq Sims has lost his fire too. This club is a total mess and as a fan, it hurts because I can't resist watching our games, but it pains me to watch nearly each and every one of them. Imagine giving your best years to footy, just to be thrown around by this dirt-poor and rickety excuse for a club that's supposed to be steeped in heritage because of some greedy pigs that want to save each other. I can't blame the players tonight. It's all down to that stupid AMF bowling ball and the degenerative board. What's worse is, other than the fans there's pretty much no external pressure or attention from the media to see a change coming.

BIG RIG

Juniors
This club needs an entire overhaul

Sack McGregor and don’t replac him with some ex player like Trent Barrett one option could be Tim Sheens

IMO Ian Millward is useless as a recruitment manager as he only relies on the signings of players that are washed up or are outcasts so he should get the flick

Young and Hornby should not be assistant coaches

Jacob Host , Euan Aitken and Tim Lafai should all be released - IMO Aitken is pathetic and is one of the worst players to ever play for St George

Matt Dufty should also be released as I believe he does not possess the complete game that a first grade fullback should have

Pearson and Ravalawa should also be released as I believe they are just plainly not worth it

We should also rid of a couple of fringe first graders such as Nicholls , Latimore , Allgood , Maranta and Kaufusi who is on a 6 month deal

Add that with the already announced departures of Widdop,Marsters and Robson as well as De Belins cap space coming off and probs Field leaving we should have a plethora of cap space to make smart signings

- First Grade Fullback,Wings,Centres
- Some decent depth in our forwards
- Some actual decent backup depth signings

My potential targets would be :
- Jordan Rapana
- Jai Arrow
- Josh Reynolds ( Back Up )
- George Burgess
- Anthony Don ( Seems to be on the outer at Titans )
- Blake Austin ( Wishful thinking )

But I would play Lomax as one centre and Maybe Saab and Periera on wings but would like at least one first grade wing signing

rednwhites

Juniors
This place seems pretty down. I know you didn't win the game but it's all I've got at the moment so maybe seeing some tries will cheer you up legitimately not taking the piss:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Still waiting for tonight's three pearlers. I want to re live it over and over again.

hermidale1

Juniors
Humor me this, Dragons faithful; if you were a sniveling, ass licking hack that Mary appears to be, what would your first panic induced action be when put under pressure from within? Of course people like him always go for the deflecting option, and as such Ben Hunt has fallen on his sword to buy Mary more time. Which big name players head will be next on the Inquisitions list? Graham? Norman? Sims?

It's not all doom and gloom though, because the pressure that incited the idiots defensive maneuver is a sign of light at the end of the tunnel.
His first move is to blame the younger players first.
Host and Robson were his first casualties when he hit the panic button. To save face he said he was resting Hunt, not dropping him.
He will now move to drop Lawrie and Kerr. Easier for him to drop them than lay blame on his stars and himself.

MATCH REPORT
J
ust saw the press conference.
McGregor starting to throw his players under the bus.
Talking about players attitude being a player's choice and so on.
Just his analysis of the game highlights his lack of knowledge as a professional coach.
Isolating and pointing to segments of the game where we did well.
"leading at the 35 minute mark''' but no mention of the 6-30 score line during the last 45 minutes.
Making statements like he still believes we can win the comp just puts even more pressure on this players.
Even if he believed it, it is sure not something that he should be touting at a press conference after getting badly beaten.
They players don't believe in him any more, not matter what slack the pundits cut McGregor.
I'm sorry but he has lost all credibility and has done for years.
Talk about performance:
Conceding an average of 24 points a game when the front runners concede half that.
What ever happened to our much vaunted 'D'?
Our defence is shot and like a sieve.
I can't remember a St. George side copping so many hidings in one season as we have this year.
Opposition coaches have worked us out and we are helping them by backing up and doing the same thing every week.
Our compressed defence is obviously not working and Clearly had a game plan that exposed us big time.
Resting Ben Hunt...
I really don't know the circumstances and it really doesn't matter but for a coach that believes we can still make the finals and go on to win the comp, it defies logic to rest your most valuable player.
Especially when you consider that we were playing against a Maloney/Cleary halves pairing.
Of course they schooled our pair with Nicholls innocuous and under instructions to catch and pass all night and Norman totally outclassed by Maloney.
It is any wonder Maloney has won 2 premierships?
Smart, skillful, uncompromising player who just knows how to win.
So what was the excuse for the blow out and second have fade tonight?
Graham was back.
Both Sims brothers were playing. Lucky looked the goods at times tonight.
What I'm saying is that we have a full strength forward pack sans De Belin and still got flogged.
What is hard to fathom is why the coach has not used/created and promoted a siege mentality like Hasler is so good at doing.
STI against the world if you know what I mean.
Instead we keep hoisting the white flag almost every week now.
And it started sliding dramatically ever since McGregor's extension.
I wonder how Johnston is feeling now after extending McGregor - 2 wins from the last 12 games with Souths next week.
And one last observation that is a general annoyance to me but particularly this evening was the strip we wore tonight.
No resemblance to our traditional strip with chevrons cascading down the front of our jersey and red the prominent color.
We don't even look like St. George any more.
We certainly don't play like St.George any more.
Dragons go down to Panthers in Penrith
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 19 Jul 2019, 10:01 PM
walshdan-head.png

The Dragons are dead in the water after a 40-18 pummelling from Penrith led by a double from pint-sized flyer Brian To'o on Friday night.

The Panthers' seven-tries-to-three drubbing buried a Red V roster worthy of a top-four finish in lowly 14th place with seven games left in the regular season.

Only twice in 11 attempts have the Dragons won since Anzac Day.

And despite working to a surprise 12-10 lead before halftime, St George Illawarra's second-half capitulation will have the dogs at Paul McGregor's door once more, particularly after million-dollar half Ben Hunt was kept on ice due to his Origin workload.

Match: Panthers v Dragons

Round 18 - Friday 19th July

Full Time

Home Team

Panthers

Scored 40 points

Away Team

Dragons

Scored 18 points

Venue: Panthers Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
  • KAYO
Ivan Cleary's outfit meanwhile are now one win outside the top four themselves, just two months after sitting equal last.

To'o was the story and the smiling assassin for the victors, having been told repeatedly as a junior that he was too small to survive in the league's land of giants.

Measuring all of 174 centimetres on the right wing, To'o stood tallest in a see-sawing first half with two scintillating tries that the Panthers then turned into a seventh win on the trot.

To'o makes it two

Aerial acrobatics produced his first after seven minutes, the 20-year-old flying on to a deft James Maloney chip, continuing the veteran half's Midas touch which would produce three try assists for the evening.

Maloney was on the money again when Nathan Cleary threaded a grubber through, only to be checked off the ball by Tyson Frizell as he pursued another four-pointer.

Soon enough though Penrith were putting the boot in again.

Three sets on without having left the Dragons' 20-metre zone, rookie rake Mitch Kenny dinked a grubber through from dummy-half with Brent Naden capitalising in the 19th minute.

Just as the Red V looked to be on the rack, Luciano Leilua loomed as an unlikely 116-kilo halfback hero.

Ravalawa gets the Dragons on the board

As replacement for ring-in No.7 Darren Nicholls while he underwent a HIA, Leilua drifted down the Dragons' right edge and created an overlap to have Mikaele Ravalawa over in the corner.

The visitors continued to press, but handling errors and obstruction penalties had all the hallmarks of a down-and-out side trying to turn the tide.

When they finally did, Leilua was again in the thick of it.

Cameron McInnes found space around a tired Panthers' ruck and Leilua in support, with Dufty then taking the Dragons well down field.

A surprise two-point lead came with Josh Kerr's maiden NRL try off the next play.

It lasted all of three minutes until To'o struck again.

Shooting through the Dragons' middle and making Corey Norman look all sorts of average, To'o strode away for his second try of the night and another four-point advantage.

When Jonus Pearson coughed up possession two minutes into the second half, with Moses Leota dotting down a couple of tackles later, the Dragons were done.

Maloney and Cleary made sure of it in the 53rd minute, the latter scoring from the former's grubber for 28-12.

Kikau sin-binned for shot on Nicholls

A second try to Naden, followed by Reagan Campbell-Gillard strolling through, blew out the scoreline further making Paul Vaughan's 68th minute return of serve too little too late.

In between Viliame Kikau was sin-binned and put on report for a late shot on Matt Dufty.

With the Rabbitohs and Eels looming in the next two weeks, the hits could well keep coming for the beleaguered Dragons.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/19/dragons-go-down-to-panthers-in-penrith/

Carlton

Juniors
One positive was Graham not putting up with Maloney’s sh*t tonight.
Should be captain, WTF make it captain coach.

Graham was about the only one showing passion, gave it to the ref, gave it to Maloney and made 42 tackles and, this is his first game back from a leg fracture.

When interviewed after the game he mentioned lack of urgency by some players. They asked him what was the problem and he looked like he was torn between saying what he really thought and being diplomatic. This is when he just said "I dont know , I dont have any answers".

hermidale1

Juniors
This club needs an entire overhaul

Sack McGregor and don’t replac him with some ex player like Trent Barrett one option could be Tim Sheens

IMO Ian Millward is useless as a recruitment manager as he only relies on the signings of players that are washed up or are outcasts so he should get the flick

Young and Hornby should not be assistant coaches

Jacob Host , Euan Aitken and Tim Lafai should all be released - IMO Aitken is pathetic and is one of the worst players to ever play for St George

Matt Dufty should also be released as I believe he does not possess the complete game that a first grade fullback should have

Pearson and Ravalawa should also be released as I believe they are just plainly not worth it

We should also rid of a couple of fringe first graders such as Nicholls , Latimore , Allgood , Maranta and Kaufusi who is on a 6 month deal

Add that with the already announced departures of Widdop,Marsters and Robson as well as De Belins cap space coming off and probs Field leaving we should have a plethora of cap space to make smart signings

- First Grade Fullback,Wings,Centres
- Some decent depth in our forwards
- Some actual decent backup depth signings

My potential targets would be :
- Jordan Rapana
- Jai Arrow
- Josh Reynolds ( Back Up )
- George Burgess
- Anthony Don ( Seems to be on the outer at Titans )
- Blake Austin ( Wishful thinking )

But I would play Lomax as one centre and Maybe Saab and Periera on wings but would like at least one first grade wing signing
So release Host, Dufty, Lafai, Ravalawa, Aitken, and Pearson and that will fix things.
One of those only played 20 minutes last week, only 1 try scored while on the field, and didn’t play this week.
Flogged both weeks, yet let’s throw the blame his way along with the blokes who did play.
The coach is the problem.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
So release Host, Dufty, Lafai, Ravalawa, Aitken, and Pearson and that will fix things.
One of those only played 20 minutes last week, only 1 try scored while on the field, and didn’t play this week.
Flogged both weeks, yet let’s throw the blame his way along with the blokes who did play.
The coach is the problem.

I struggled to see how Host got blamed for last week.

Latest posts