What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints are completely f**ked - McGregor sacked

Vic Mackey

Referee
Just saw he score, wow. I admit the coach has had some challenges (JBD, Widdpo) but the squad he has is still a potential top 4 one for mine. In all likelihood they’re going to finish bottom 4. Absolute madness.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Any of you saints fans thinking of putting up some kind of fan sign or throwing your jerseys at the foot of the door to the entrance of the leagues club - f**king do it.

Any genuine rugby league coach (and there aren't many - and it kills me) would have this team firing. f**k Paul and the board - f**k them all.
The backline is woeful

Drew-Sta

Staff member
The backline is woeful

Sorta. Rava is good, but a centre playing wing. Lomax is injured. Field should be playing FB, but is in reggies as Dufty was given the nude photo’s of Mary that Latimore has and thus has a mortgage on the FB position, Lafai keeps getting told to sprint up but is also probably past it so should hang up the boots, and Pearson is a rookie thrown into the fire.

Not to mention the half dozen juniors in reggies playing out of their skin that can’t get a run due to ‘Something about Mary’.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Dafuq is this! All the conjecture surrounding Friz all day and no bump in the 'we're fuggin absolutely, well'n truly FARKED!' thread... For shame LU poster :'( you're better than that!
You've subverted my expectations for this thread more than Rian Johnson!

I’ve let you down, my son. I repent of my terrible sins...

Humor me this, Dragons faithful; if you were a sniveling, ass licking hack that Mary appears to be, what would your first panic induced action be when put under pressure from within? Of course people like him always go for the deflecting option, and as such Ben Hunt has fallen on his sword to buy Mary more time. Which big name players head will be next on the Inquisitions list? Graham? Norman? Sims?

It's not all doom and gloom though, because the pressure that incited the idiots defensive maneuver is a sign of light at the end of the tunnel.

Hunt being rested was one, next will be Widdop back into the side to f**k with out spine again, and he’ll probably put him to 5/8 in the hope he does his shoulder again so he can cite injury woes.

gerg

Juniors
Sorta. Rava is good, but a centre playing wing. Lomax is injured. Field should be playing FB, but is in reggies as Dufty was given the nude photo’s of Mary that Latimore has and thus has a mortgage on the FB position, Lafai keeps getting told to sprint up but is also probably past it so should hang up the boots, and Pearson is a rookie thrown into the fire.

Not to mention the half dozen juniors in reggies playing out of their skin that can’t get a run due to ‘Something about Mary’.

Widdop was your best back so with him out you play to your strengths. Your forward pack is good. I don't know if it's your coach or a player being lazy but T Sims is wasted out there. He could be one of the more destructive edge players in the game - see Broncos semi final last year - but every time the ball comes his way he is the decoy runner. It makes no sense at all. Similar to Kikau at Penrith except Penrith actually give him the ball.

Reflector

Juniors
I don't know what goes on at board level, but Saints are a club who appear rudderless. For years there was that ambition to end the premiership drought and finally lift the trophy at the end after years of heartbreak, bad luck or I wouldn't call it choking, but being overwhelmed with expectation. Then shortsighted Doust let Bennett go and the club has ambled along ever since 2012. Illawarra provide the juniors but there's little else to convince me the merger has been a success. Easts, Canterbury, Souths and Cronulla have all managed to survive and thrive on and/ or off the field despite changing area demographics or small junior numbers. Since the WIN takeover, any Steelers element in the merger is gone. It is not the same organisation as the one who formed back in 1998. St George is one of the most famous brands in the NRL- give them a wealthy backer and I don't see why they couldn't go back to being the St George Dragons, playing at Kogarah full-time but maintaining a relationship with the Illawarra region like they had before 1982, tapping into the juniors from that area and turning them into tomorrows' Dragons legends.

It's a damn pity to see what that organisation has turned into.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Humor me this, Dragons faithful; if you were a sniveling, ass licking hack that Mary appears to be, what would your first panic induced action be when put under pressure from within? Of course people like him always go for the deflecting option, and as such Ben Hunt has fallen on his sword to buy Mary more time. Which big name players head will be next on the Inquisitions list? Graham? Norman? Sims?

It's not all doom and gloom though, because the pressure that incited the idiots defensive maneuver is a sign of light at the end of the tunnel.

And here is the man they’re throwing under the bus:

From Weidler - whatever that means

Dragons blame de Belin for slump – and are close to breaking point
Danny Weidler
July 20, 2019 — 10.00pm

Privately, the Dragons say Jack de Belin is the anchor that is weighing down their season. And they are close to breaking point.

Officials from the joint-venture club have already been to the NRL to discuss how the financial commitment to de Belin is unfair. They were told to go away. The Dragons will pay him $600,000 for this season and the same next year, although they did get salary-cap relief for a replacement.

The keyboard warriors want to blame coach Paul McGregor for St George Illawarra’s slump to the foot of the ladder, but he is a long way from the most serious issue in the eyes of the club. The Dragons have a board meeting this week and, at this stage, McGregor is not on the agenda, but de Belin is sure to get a mention.

The Dragons won’t say it publicly – and the playing group will tell you how they support de Belin – but the constant reminder of the issue that derailed their season and made the club a media target is there every time they go to training.

DRAGONS
'Give it to me, but not my players,' McGregor tells Dragons fans
De Belin is doing what he is allowed and entitled to do under the NRL’s ‘‘no-fault’’ stand-down policy: train with the team. He is intent on staying fit, and being around the team is good for him.

But many at the club would prefer the players weren’t getting a daily reminder of the star player who is not available for them.

It’s a tough situation.

De Belin has already made it very clear through his legal challenges to the NRL’s stand-down policy that he believes he is innocent. He is already about $500,000 in debt as a result of the failed legal bids.

He earns $600,000 a year. He has just become a dad. It’s my understanding the club has reached out to de Belin, his family and his agent to discuss the way forward to ensure he has money to support his family.

704d1f9d031f8f058a1053fc18a62146b6302542

No game time: De Belin trains with the Dragons at WIN Stadium.CREDIT:ANNA WARR

To make matters worse, de Belin will be a free agent in a couple of months as his deal expires at the end of 2020. Unsurprisingly, he is not a hot property on the market.

His latest legal challenge to the Federal Court’s ruling against him is believed to be on a no-win-no-fee basis.

The club wants to discuss the reality of his situation. A loss in the courts will obviously be soul-destroying for de Belin and the club. But they are also bracing themselves for a win by de Belin in the courts. That will result in further court action: de Belin will launch defamation action on many fronts and you can anticipate a bigger case against the NRL.

Fangs

Coach
I take back what I said. And what I said was that the Dragons would not play as badly against the Panthers as they did against the Raiders.

Awful edge defense. Soft underbelly. My whole life the Dragons have never been a real threat. Except for when Bennett had the reigns.

ram raid

Bench
Any of you saints fans thinking of putting up some kind of fan sign or throwing your jerseys at the foot of the door to the entrance of the leagues club - f**king do it.

Any genuine rugby league coach (and there aren't many - and it kills me) would have this team firing. f**k Paul and the board - f**k them all.

I always thought it would be awesome if some group of fans started a GoFundMe to pay out a coach or player's salary when a team is stuck with someone like the Saints are with
McGregor.

Latest posts