What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Scott announces retirement

SBD82

Coach
Surprised that there doesn’t seem to be a thread for this yet, but Matt Scott has announced his retirement. May have played a season or two too long, but played at the pinnacle and as a NSW fan I remember how consistently strong he was in the middle. Dominated the NSW pack regularly (the merkin).

Congrats on a great career.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/19...-prop-announces-2019-season-will-be-his-last/

Matt Scott retires: Cowboys prop announces 2019 season will be his last
Jason WolfgramFri 19 Jul 2019, 01:04 PM
North Queensland prop Matt Scott fought back tears on Friday morning as he announced he would be bringing down the curtain on his glittering career at season's end.

One of the greatest players in Cowboys history, Scott has played his entire career at the club, appearing in 263 games across 16 seasons since his Telstra Premiership debut as an 18-year-old in 2004.

Scott sits behind only Johnathan Thurston (294) and Matthew Bowen (270) in all-time appearances for the Cowboys and has the opportunity to surpass Bowen before he hangs up his boots.

"I think I've squeezed every last drop out of my body over the last 16 years. I finally decided it's time to give it up," he said.

"I did plan to thank all the individuals that have contributed to my career over the last 16 years. But once I started writing the lists, I quickly realised that I'll probably be here all day.

"And I probably still wouldn’t have done justice to what everyone's done for me and my family over the years.

"It's been a really life-changing and quite unbelievable experience considering where I came from."

Scott became emotional as he thanked the club and North Queensland community.

"You welcomed me with open arms from day one. It’s no doubt the overweight, freckly, young country kid from Ilfracombe would’ve been quickly chewed up and spat out if I had signed anywhere else. I can't thank the community enough for what you've done for me," he said.

Scott said he would have plenty of career highlights "that I'll tell my grandkids in years to come", including representing Queensland and Australia as well as the 2015 grand final triumph over Brisbane in extra time, playing alongside future Immortals such as Johnathan Thurston, Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis and Billy Slater along the way.

The 33-year-old was a cornerstone of an unrivalled period of success for the Cowboys. Scott was instrumental in the club qualifying for seven consecutive finals series between 2011 and 2017 and captained the side, alongside Thurston, to its historic maiden premiership in 2015.

One of just nine Cowboys life members, he was named the club’s Player of the Year and Players’ Player in 2010 and 2013.

Scott also appeared 22 times for Australia and Queensland and was crowned Dally M Prop of the Year in 2011 and Dally M Captain of the Year in 2015.

"For the rest of the year I look forward to giving everything that's left to the current group of players. I've got a lot of faith and confidence in the guys that are here at the moment, led really well by Macca [Jordan McLean] and Morgo [Michael Morgan] and I've got no doubt that we're going to give the comp a shake-up in the rounds to come," he said.

"What my body’s gone through the last couple of years with injuries, the writing was on the wall. I would have loved to play forever. I’ve still got a great deal of passion for the game and the club.

"It takes a lot for me to not play games. To stop playing entirely it was quite hard. I realise that I've been really blessed with the career that I've had."

"I look forward to spending more time with my two beautiful boys, giving back to my wife, Lauren, who has given so much to me. Welcoming a new baby girl into the world in December and just enjoying life."

Last edited:

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Been far from his best in previous years but has only been as good as his body has allowed him to be.

For a good while was the number 1prop in the world and had a huge amount to thank for for the clubs rise to finals regulars.

All the best thumper. I remember many moons ago being at suncorp watching the nq young guns won their first title by absolutely demolishing burleigh. What I witnessed from a young 18 year old (I think) prop was and still is the most dominate display from a forward I have ever seen and knew there were great things ahead.

T.S Quint

Coach
Had a great career. Well done to him.

On a side note, I wish the media would stop calling players “future Immortals”.
An Immortal is not an Immortal until they are an Immortal. Also that out of those players mentioned only one is worthy of being an Immortal.

Sorry to derail the thread.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Had a great career. Well done to him.

On a side note, I wish the media would stop calling players “future Immortals”.
An Immortal is not an Immortal until they are an Immortal. Also that out of those players mentioned only one is worthy of being an Immortal.

Sorry to derail the thread.

You make a good point though, Immortals were and still should be a borderline unattainable ranking that only the absolute elite can get to. Every time they trot out "future immortals" it cheapens it to being little more than an add-on to the Hall of Fame.

Will be missed .
Was a pleasure watching him play especially when he was at his peak .
When The Qld era of dominance is talked about its usually the same names talked about
Lockyer,JT,GI,Slater,Smith Cronk.
As good as they were ,thumper was the forward leader who gave these blokes the field position to do their magic .
I don't think he had a Grubby bone in his body ..
Just old school hard as nails prop who was also a gentleman .
Enjoy your retirement Thumper .

Tommy Smith

Referee
Matt Scott may have a bland name but don't let that deceive anyone. He was a man's man. A wall of granite at his peak - as good as Webcke and Civoniceiva.

I'll never forget his role in the Cowboys epic comeback from 30 nil down vs the Roosters in that amazing finals clash in 2014. He absolutely curbstomped our dominant forward pack in the 2nd half.

An all time great both on and off the field.

This Year?

Immortal
Quality player and quality human. Seeing him get emotional when talking about his family got to me. 16 years is a long time in rugby league and to be the best prop in the world is no mean feat. Is a champion.in every sense of the word.

Very good player and one who, off the field, have rarely heard a bad word said about. Maybe he should have gone out with JT last year as his form has been way down this year, but he has had a great career.

I think it was 2011 SOO when Jason King played .
Close to the Qld tryline Scott hit him in A brutal tackle .
He dropped the ball .
What made it memorable was a comment was made( can't remember if I read it or Roy & HG said it ).
He hit him that hard his freckles fell off .

Could have been Vossy ..

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Screenshot-2019-07-22-01-08-02-44.png

nick87

Coach
Great player who's had a tremendous career and has managed to do so without seemingly being disliked by anyone.

Lebbo73

Bench
Matt Scott may have a bland name but don't let that deceive anyone. He was a man's man. A wall of granite at his peak - as good as Webcke and Civoniceiva.

I'll never forget his role in the Cowboys epic comeback from 30 nil down vs the Roosters in that amazing finals clash in 2014. He absolutely curbstomped our dominant forward pack in the 2nd half.

An all time great both on and off the field.
The way he did this and dismantled Melbourne in Melbourne in the 2015 prelim was just unreal. Definitely at another level. So was quite a few of his Origin performances.