What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

With the new stadium being built for Western United in Melbourne, would it be a good idea to have a Sydney team take a game on the road to the new stadium (upon completion) against the Storm to try and develop the fanbase in Melbourne?

Some talk they might keep the stadium for exclusive use of football.

ReddFelon

Juniors
God knows how that will work, privately owned stadiums still need events to make money, even with the full time soccer team and the occasional concert, you'd have a hard time keeping it in the black during the winter months without some decent events bringing in the fans.

T-Boon

Coach
ALLIANZ COST BLOWOUT

The $729 million Allianz Stadium redevelopment is already becoming a political nightmare for the SCG Trust and State government.

The Sunday Telegraph understands the project is not only running behind schedule but also way over budget just a few months after demolition work began.

Instead of opening in the new year of 2022 as planned, we’re told it has been pushed back to June/July which could put in doubt plans to play Origin at the new 45,000 seat venue as planned.

The original $729 million costing has blown out by almost 10 per cent to $800 million.

This will fire up those who campaigned for stadium money to go to schools and hospitals instead.

The work delays are also a major issue for their tenants the Sydney Roosters, Sydney FC and the Waratahs who were desperate to return at the beginning of 2022.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/4975f105c06fca4234ab74a293333abe

I still hope this SFS rebuild gets scraped. I would rather the money be spent on a stadium elsewhere even if it means waiting 10 years.

Diesel

Referee
How long term are most stadium deals with clubs locked in? Is it for each TV deal?
Would the Broncos who have a minimum of 12 games locked in at Suncorp be penalised if the competition was reduced to 11 home games per club.

VictoryFC

Bench
Yeah, supposedly the stadium is being privately funded and will be intentionally designed so only soccer can be played there.

A soccer field is longer than an RL field. All you need to do is shorten in goals. Just look at OT for Super League GF. It’s not ideal, but basically any stadium built to host soccer can host RL.

Also, a soccer only stadium is not viable. Almost guaranteed that if the stadium ever sees the light of day, it’ll host everything it can attract. And RL would be an obvious event to host, although because there are options available, a deal to play games there would be favourable to the NRL.

flippikat

Bench
A soccer field is longer than an RL field. All you need to do is shorten in goals. Just look at OT for Super League GF. It’s not ideal, but basically any stadium built to host soccer can host RL.

Also, a soccer only stadium is not viable. Almost guaranteed that if the stadium ever sees the light of day, it’ll host everything it can attract. And RL would be an obvious event to host, although because there are options available, a deal to play games there would be favourable to the NRL.

Spot on. We're in a unique situation where we have two sports seasons (rugby league/union and A-League) that complement each other and make it possible for grounds to have year-round sports tenancy.

While there may not be many NRL or rugby union games played at the new West Melbourne A-league ground, they'd be crazy not to at least consider it.

However with the MacArthur A-league expansion team based at Campbelltown Stadium, there's scope for an NRL team to move most of their home games there & give that ground year-round use..probably the Tigers, given their Wests history there.

Suitman

Post Whore
Renders of the new Football stadium for Western United are below.
For those wondering, the owners of the new club have been granted a parcel of land by the local council for property development into residential, commercial and retail for future income. This is where they will get their money back and is why they are pouring $180 million into a stadium, training pitches and an academy for both the male and female game.
I'm not sure they care that there will only be 13 A-League games there a season. It should also score Matilda's matches, as well as local bigger games from the Victorian Premier League.
I'm guessing it will indeed be football specific.

A planned $180 million soccer stadium in Melbourne’s west will be the first major facility privately built for an Australian team and is set to have the steepest gradient in the country and a distinctive roof modelled on its local area.

A-League expansion team Western United, which will enter the competition for the 2019-20 season beginning in October, is finalising plans for the stadium they want to be playing at during the 2021-22 season in the western suburb of Tarneit.

Western United management is finalising plans for the project, which will be built by construction giant Probuild and is set to be funded by the proceeds of nearby residential property projects, including in some high-density areas, and underpinned by a commercial zone which will sit adjacent the 15,000-seat arena.

The club wants the stadium to be as unique as possible for fans, with plans for the grandstands to have the best and closest views for spectators as possible via a gradient that at least matches, and potentially surpasses, the 34-degree measurement in the recently completed Bankwest Stadium at Parramatta, in Sydney.

The stadium’s roof is also planned to feature long, continuous sheets of free-span steel and aluminium sheets to give it a feel modelled on nearby industrial property.

The design will ensure a low roof pitch that should amplify noise levels, while the club wants to incorporate a food truck precinct around the stadium, pitch-level corporate facilities and space that can be used for trade exhibitions, conferences and community functions.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...79d5582f06ec22

lNEkbVH.jpg

ShJFgNo.jpg

For those wondering, the owners of the new club have been granted a parcel of land by the local council for property development into residential, commercial and retail for future income. This is where they will get their money back and is why they are pouring $180 million into a stadium, training pitches and an academy for both the male and female game.
I'm not sure they care that there will only be 13 A-League games there a season. It should also score Matilda's matches, as well as local bigger games from the Victorian Premier League.

lNEkbVH.jpg

ShJFgNo.jpg

The economics still seem weird to me. Enough free land to make a $180m stadium viable? That’s a lot of land, especially in an area that’s not particularly built up.

Suitman

Post Whore
The economics still seem weird to me. Enough free land to make a $180m stadium viable? That’s a lot of land, especially in an area that’s not particularly built up.

I'm not sure how much land they were granted but I suppose we have to trust that the investors think it is viable.

greenBV4

Bench
They must be pretty sure of themselves, you'd think the safer bet would be to just add in the extra couple meters so that they at least had the option for hosting other codes down the line id they needed to

jim_57

Staff member
They must be pretty sure of themselves, you'd think the safer bet would be to just add in the extra couple meters so that they at least had the option for hosting other codes down the line id they needed to

To be fair though who would play there? For Storm & Rebels it isn't 'far away' enough to be considered taking a game regional. If they were to ever take a game away from AAMI to anywhere else in Victoria it'd be the likes of Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo or Albury (NSW, I know).

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Bulldogs to play a match in Perth for the next three seasons

Andrew Hill
Chief Executive
Mon 22 Jul 2019, 06:00 PM

Through recent correspondence you would have seen that the proposed re-development of ANZ Stadium has now been put back until after the 2020 Sydney State of Origin match, played in June/July and as a result of that the Bulldogs will look to play as many of our home matches at ANZ Stadium until that work starts.

As you know the club has been looking at alternative venue options for additional home matches and as a result I can provide the following update:
  • The club will continue in its second and final year as the home side in Brisbane as part of Magic Round
  • The club will continue to play one home match at our spiritual ground at Belmore
  • Bankwest Stadium will be our venue for any additional home matches in Sydney that take place after the start of the ANZ Stadium re-development
In addition, the club is pleased to announce that it will take one home match per year to Perth for seasons 2020, 2021 and 2022.

The Western Australian Government has been passionate about bringing top-level rugby league to Perth and has sought to form a partnership with the Bulldogs in order to provide a platform to showcase our great club.

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs will, therefore, make Perth’s HBF Park their home for three matches over the next three seasons.

With the enormous success of the State of Origin match in Perth last month, this is a fantastic opportunity for the Bulldogs to showcase themselves in a market that has embraced the game of rugby league and we thank the Western Australian Government for choosing the Bulldogs to be part of this opportunity moving forward.

It also means that Bulldogs fans can next season look forward to ten home matches in Sydney, in addition to our staging of home matches at Magic Round and in Perth.

More details will be sent in due course, but I thought that it was important to make sure that you as Members got to hear the news first.

As always I thank you for your continued support.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...-a-match-in-perth-for-the-next-three-seasons/

Perth Red

Post Whore

lNEkbVH.jpg

ShJFgNo.jpg

If only manly had as progressive a council!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bulldogs to play a match in Perth for the next three seasons

Andrew Hill
Chief Executive
Mon 22 Jul 2019, 06:00 PM

Through recent correspondence you would have seen that the proposed re-development of ANZ Stadium has now been put back until after the 2020 Sydney State of Origin match, played in June/July and as a result of that the Bulldogs will look to play as many of our home matches at ANZ Stadium until that work starts.

As you know the club has been looking at alternative venue options for additional home matches and as a result I can provide the following update:
  • The club will continue in its second and final year as the home side in Brisbane as part of Magic Round
  • The club will continue to play one home match at our spiritual ground at Belmore
  • Bankwest Stadium will be our venue for any additional home matches in Sydney that take place after the start of the ANZ Stadium re-development
In addition, the club is pleased to announce that it will take one home match per year to Perth for seasons 2020, 2021 and 2022.

The Western Australian Government has been passionate about bringing top-level rugby league to Perth and has sought to form a partnership with the Bulldogs in order to provide a platform to showcase our great club.

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs will, therefore, make Perth’s HBF Park their home for three matches over the next three seasons.

With the enormous success of the State of Origin match in Perth last month, this is a fantastic opportunity for the Bulldogs to showcase themselves in a market that has embraced the game of rugby league and we thank the Western Australian Government for choosing the Bulldogs to be part of this opportunity moving forward.

It also means that Bulldogs fans can next season look forward to ten home matches in Sydney, in addition to our staging of home matches at Magic Round and in Perth.

More details will be sent in due course, but I thought that it was important to make sure that you as Members got to hear the news first.

As always I thank you for your continued support.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...-a-match-in-perth-for-the-next-three-seasons/

Good news for perth, be nice to see another one or two games committed now to start to build momentum for the Pirates admission in 2023.

flippikat

Bench
Good news for perth, be nice to see another one or two games committed now to start to build momentum for the Pirates admission in 2023.

So are the Bulldogs the only team committed to Perth games in the next 3 years?

If so, I agree.. that's pretty dire if the NRL are serious about wanting an expansion team there anytime soon.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
To be fair though who would play there? For Storm & Rebels it isn't 'far away' enough to be considered taking a game regional. If they were to ever take a game away from AAMI to anywhere else in Victoria it'd be the likes of Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo or Albury (NSW, I know).

Why wouldn't you just add 3m to the field to cover yourself..

If NRL were smart they would Chuck $1m at this project.. to make sure of it..

Who knows we might have a western Melbourne team in 30 years..