What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 - Cowboys vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 20th July 7:35pm @1300SMILES Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Really looking forward to this weeks game against the Cowboys. It was so good to get back in the winners circle last week and it's important that we keep that going. Now, a lot of people would look at the ladder position of both teams and think, "easy win for Souths," but I don't think that's the case at all. When the Cowboys turn it on, they are hot. I mean, look at what they just did to the Roosters! We are still going to have players out too so it ain't gonna be easy at all. Can't wait!!

callmack1

Staff member
My predicted Line Up for this week,

1. Doueihi
2. Gagai
3. Roberts
4. Burns
5. Graham
6. Walker (C)
7. Reynolds
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Nicholls
11. Sutton
12. Lowe
13. Murray

14. Su'A
15. Britt
16. Turner
17. Amone

Sounds like Sam won't be back and I don't think AJ will be either sadly.

Travitoh

First Grade
I feel this is a game that a team with top 4 aspirations should win. Sure we're lacking a bit in the forwards but it also brings an opportunity for guys who can play like Britt, Tatola and Amone to put their names forward for a finals spot.
Nth Qld aren't the same beast that they were 3+ years ago.
Souths to win.

assess5

Juniors
I feel this is a game that a team with top 4 aspirations should win. Sure we're lacking a bit in the forwards but it also brings an opportunity for guys who can play like Britt, Tatola and Amone to put their names forward for a finals spot.
Nth Qld aren't the same beast that they were 3+ years ago.
Souths to win.

It will be interesting to see what sought of effort Lowe puts in after his man of the match game for Queensland SOO. We'll know how serious he is?

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

South Sydney Rabbitohs hooker Damien Cook credits unlikely figure in his rise to superstar status

South Sydney Rabbitohs and NSW Blues hooker Damien Cook has spoken about the moment his career turned for the best and credits an unlikely figure in his rise to superstar status.

The 28-year old is in the prime of his career and after stints at the Panthers, Dragons and Bulldogs where he struggled to crack the top grade, it did look as though he would never really make it.

But a move to Souths, the departure of Dragons rake Cameron McInnes and the internal battle with Robbie Farah pushed him to the level we see him at today.

"The turning point was at Souths when I started playing more regular first grade, Cam McInnes left to St George and there were rumours of Robbie coming but I felt like I was ready to go then," he told the Big Sports Breakfast on Thursday.

"Having Robbie come to the club was good to have that battle with him and push myself against one of the best hookers in the game and that really gave me a lot of confidence.

"When Seibs (former coach Anthony Seibold) gave me the job to play week-in and week-out, it gave me even more of that confidence I needed to play at that level.

"I learnt. last year from Seibs and playing that full year at hooker last year made me understand my body a bit better."

It was a rollercoaster ride to get to NSW and Australian status that he is at now, but Cook always backed himself despite continually being overlooked at previous clubs for the likes of Mitch Rein and Michael Lichaa.

Cook said it was a great feeling to get the Rabbitohs back in the winner's circle against Manly last weekend, and the guidance he is receiving from coach Wayne Bennett is making the world of difference.

"We just had to get back to winning, no matter how we won," he said.

"We know that wasn't a perfect game for us, the first half we completed really well and were leading 18-6 but the second half we fell off.

"Once Origin is done it's not spoken about again because everyone has to get back and do a job for their club side, but Wayne will probably give me a few days off here and there.

"I spoke to Wayne about it, and the biggest thing I learnt from Origin was the mental battle. Its about getting your mind right for each game."

The Rabbitohs currently sit in outright second spot on the NRL ladder but are six points behind the high-flying Melbourne Storm, and will travel to Townsville this weekend for a clash against the Cowboys.

The Redfern-based club will be without Sam Burgess indefinitely, but Cook is confident we will see the English enforcer back in 'the next couple of weeks'.

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Game Day is finally here once again and I can't wait!! After the week I've had, I could really do with a win. I must say, I'm a little nervous about this one though, their pack is so much bigger than ours and I'm really worried they may get the better of us there with all the forwards we have out. That is the key to tonight's game I feel - winning the battle in the middle. If we can just hold our own there, we may be okayu because I feel we certainly have the advantage in the backs but winning that middle is gonna be tough. Still, looking forward to it.

Lowe just sent the entire cowboys recruitment staff off to Centrelink tonight.

Geez he’s playing well.

He was supposed to be just another disposable oaf, but he’s one of the best players in the game.

Jimmy Roberts ran through or past 8 cowboy players for that last offload to cm. That’s his best form shining.

This is a side primed for a massive finals assault.

You must be stoked.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Wow, what an incredible win that was!! I really, really needed a win to cheer me up a bit after this week and gee, it came in spectacular fashion. It wasn't the complete performance from the boys but they should great resiliance, determination and composure to come back and close that one out. I honestly thought we were gonna get steam rolled by this Cowboys pack but the lads held their own and I am super proud of that. It was a massive effort.

Despite the win, I still thought we were still a little off in attack tonight. When attacking the line the boys lacked patience at times and the execution just wasn't quite there whether that be through a clunky play or an error. It wasn't so bad in the first half as we scored two lovely tries but in the second, we came out and looked half asleep. From there, the frustration built and you could see it quite clearly in attack. That saw a lot more of those errors and clunky plays occur. However, to the boys credit, they turned it on when it really mattered and managed to score two great tries to take the win in a great show of resiliance. In general play, I was very proud of the boys. As mentioned earlier, their pack was so much bigger and better than ours but we still managed to match them, perhaps even better them. That was a huge effort, bigger than I think a lot of people realise. We have just beaten a rep level forward back with a bunch of young guys (mostly). It was so awesome. Tonight, we did make a few too many errors I feel, especially at times when I felt we were on top but would then turn it over and let them back in. That is a work on as is our second half effort.

In defence, I'd give the side the pass mark for tonight. The Cowboys through a shit load at us but we were able to hold on more often then not and turn them away or force them into going for goal which was really good to see. There was a couple of disappointing defensive lapses though for the Cowboys first try as well as their third (I couldn't believe that one, the lack of communication was shocking) which will need to be worked on but overall, I was happy with the goaline defence. In general play, I was getting quite annoyed through that tough period of the second half because of our line speed. It was almost non-exsistant and I feel we need to be way better in that area.

Doueihi: I must say, he didn't really impress me tonight. Did make a couple of good runs and kick returns but otherwise he didn't offer much. Ads hardly chimed into attacking plays at all, his positional play was poor and made a couple of silly errors that could have been avoided.

Gagai: Was very solid tonight. He really did his job out there all game. Went looking for the ball often and made plenty of nice runs coming out of trouble which helped ease the tension on our smaller pack. Gags was good defensively too. However, it wasn't until the last fifteen to twenty minutes that Gags really kicked into gear. He scored the awesome try that locked up the game for us through sheer determination. Nice one Gags.

Roberts: Jimmy the jet was fantastic tonight. Did his job in defence by not letting anyone past him and he was on fire in attack. He had plenty of runs coming out of our own end and they were strong with relatively quick play-the-ball. His work ethic really impressed me. We got to see him at his destructie best too when he almost set up Gags to score after that brilliant try and then the final play to bust through those tackles and set up cam, what a freak. The only small blight was the one error he made.

Burns: Loved his work tonight. Burnsy looked supe hungry all game, you could just see it in some of his hit ups as he put absolutely everything into them and as a result, he made plenty of meters. Braidon looked super dangerous whenever he got the ball with that footwork of his. He did mess up a bit with his lazy defensive effort for the Cowboys first try but other than that, I loved watching him play today, he was great.

Graham: Solid game from Cammy. Took his hit ups when required, they were quality and made no handling errors. He seems to have got some confidence back which is good to see. He did get out-leaped by Feldt that one time though. Also, I was very disappointed in his chase during the Cowboys first try. If you watch it again, he certainly could have prevented the try if he chased harder from behind.

Walker: A mixed bag tonight. There were times when he looked super dangerous and had North Queensland in two minds or he was putting in nice kicks to bomb the wingers but then other times where he was quite ordinary. Cody didn't look all that interested sometimes as he just wasn't involved enough and he didn't seem to want to get his hands on the footy. As a result, he faded out of the game for a period. That's not good enough for a top half in this comp and we need better from him (more involvement).

Reynolds: Reyno was pretty decent in that game I thought. Because Cody was a bit off, he stepped up and seemed to do more in attack which did pose a lot of questions to the Cowboys defence. His passing game was on point as evidenced by the pass he threw to Jimmy when he made that break, this cut out pass was brilliant, a simple case of getting a strike player early ball. Then I thought Reyno showed some real maturity and poise with the boot tonight. He pt in some absolutely brilliant kicks to put the Cowboys under pressure at various times, kicks that you simply just watch in awe. A nice performance from Reyno.

Tatola: A good, consistent game from Junior tonight. He stepped up for sure but didn't stand out, he just went about his business in the best way possible making a large amount of impressive, aggressive hit ups in his two stints. He really took it to the Cowboys pack. Despite missing a few tackles, he was busy in defence and I thought he was nice and consistent in that area too. Junior is starting to really impress me.

Cook: Cookie was good. I really liked the way he was bringing the forwards onto the ball by taking a few paces out of dummy half before passing, he did that all night which just allows that little bit of exra momentum for the ball carrier. He picked his times to run well but was limited in that area by the Cowboys and came up with a try assist as well as a stack of tackles once again.

Britt: In his first game as a starting front rower he did will. Had a high work rate with his agressive running style and the meters flowed for him off the back of that. He's obviously not huge but was able to hold his own against the Cowboys pack which was impressive. I also enjoyed his play-the-balls tonight as he made every effort to get up and play it fast.

Sutton: Good solid game from Sutto. He just did his job tonight and contributed where needed. Took plenty of decent runs, showed a little bit of footwork as usual and I thought he was good in defence, he pulled off a couple of text book tackles.

Lowe: Had a wow of a first half taking plenty of solid runs that bent the opposition line and he was highly involved. The energy he showed off the back of his rest last week was great to see and he was rewarded with two great tries at his old home ground. A brilliant first half but had a pretty quiet second half to be honest, I expected a little more there.

Murray: Man, what a game from Cam. Easily our best. Fifty one tackles, zero misses, a line break assist, a try assist to win the game, one hundred and five meters and a try of his own all in the one game!! It was a huge effort from this kid, god he's special. I just loved watching him today, everything he did was class.

Amone: Decent performance. he's obviously still finding his feet in first grade but is coming along really nicely. Tonight he was hard to put down again due to his aggressive running style and leg drive after contact. Tom provided good impact in his stint, the one error the only negative point I have to make about him.

Nicholls: I feel like I say the same thing every week with guys like him and Turner haha. There's not a lot to say because they just do their job, it's head down, ass up kind of footy built on hard work. Tonight was no different as he took his runs when needed and just tackled his heart out.

Su'A: Not a bad game from Jaydn. Enjoyed his energy and impact once he came on and he really threatened to break the line multiple times. Still finding his way in the team but the early signs are very positive.

Turner: See what I wrote about Nicholls haha.

All in all, it wasn't a perfect game as once again, we let ourselves down a bit in the second half. However, it turned out to be a big win because of the way we won it and the players we had out. The Cowboys were great today with an insanely good pack but we were better with most of our key forwards out. Geez I'm proud. Hopefully we are starting to rebuild the confidence and find that form again.

I really needed that win.

assess5

Juniors
Lowe just sent the entire cowboys recruitment staff off to Centrelink tonight.

Geez he’s playing well.

He was supposed to be just another disposable oaf, but he’s one of the best players in the game.

Jimmy Roberts ran through or past 8 cowboy players for that last offload to cm. That’s his best form shining.

This is a side primed for a massive finals assault.

You must be stoked.

Thank you for your kind words. You are an excellent judge of rugby league and how its played.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves with 'primed for a massive finals assault', we will hurry slowly, perhaps get there in the end.

Once again 'thank you'.

I’m calling it, Cameron Murray will be one of the greatest players in nrl history.

He’s not big, not especially skilled or anything ultra chops.

But he has a gi-like total game awareness and works his butt off.

He senses opportunities a few seconds before most footballers and gets in the frame.

If he was in my Tigers roster, I’d be letting him give lectures on what he is thinking during matches.

One of the strongest contributors to the rabbits is retention and recruitment. To have so many good players within the cap is a sign of massive office strength.

Latest posts