What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2019 USARL Season has Kicked Off (Believe it or Not)

Stallion

First Grade
Can't see it happening. The interest just isn't there. We've seen all these Rugby Union attempts collapse before as well so, maybe this one will work but it probably won't still be here in three years. If it is it actually benefits league. More people playing = a bigger player pool. Make no mistake, Rugby League only exists now because of local Union clubs. If Rugby Union disappeared tomorrow in the US Rugby League would follow it within 12 months. This idea that Rugby League can become the dominant Rugby in the US is pie in the sky, we don't have the players, we don't have the money and we don't have the reach. Probably unique compared to other areas of the world, a strong Rugby Union benefits Rugby League in the US. They're doing our youth development for us.

Disturbing logic! In other words the infrastructure /set up is owned by union which makes rugby league instantly reliant / subservient to "big brother " union! The core of this issue is directly related to rugby league not having presence in various school systems around the world. Basically If it's not known or discussed it's not in the picture despite being a superior version of rugby. It's a sad and unfair state for the rugby league code. Looks like no one is really approaching this major issue in a proactive way!?

Pommy

Coach
Disturbing logic! In other words the infrastructure /set up is owned by union which makes rugby league instantly reliant / subservient to "big brother " union! The core of this issue is directly related to rugby league not having presence in various school systems around the world. Basically If it's not known or discussed it's not in the picture despite being a superior version of rugby. It's a sad and unfair state for the rugby league code. Looks like no one is really approaching this major issue in a proactive way!?

Mate football isn’t even a big deal in America for men. How you think rugby league is going to get it’s fair go in US schools I have no idea.
Cricket is the second biggest team sport in the world and do you know what it’s footprint in the US is?

Whatwhere

Juniors
Mate football isn’t even a big deal in America for men. How you think rugby league is going to get it’s fair go in US schools I have no idea.
Cricket is the second biggest team sport in the world and do you know what it’s footprint in the US is?

Actually Cricket has reasonable numbers playing the game in the States. Thanks largely to the growing Sub-Continental communities in the States. They even have intercollegiate competitions these days. A number of Cricket specific facilities etc. But it's still a long, long way from being mainstream.

Last edited:

Whatwhere

Juniors

You comments display a complete lack of understanding of how Rugby has established itself in the States while League struggles to move beyond a dozen or so active 'clubs' at any one time. And that's more than 30 years of hard graft from those within the Rugby community in establishing clubs, youth, high school and College competitions.

Something those behind League in NA have failed to either grasp or been willing to invest in. Rugby now has a proper domestic league with paying crowds, TV exposure and sponsorship but that has taken literally millions of man hours and 10s of millions of $ often out of the pockets of volunteers over decades to achieve. And will still likely take at least a decade to reach a level where it's remotely self-sustaining.

Pommy

Coach
Actually Cricket has reasonable numbers playing the game in the States. Thanks largely to the growing Sub-Continental communities in the States. They even have intercollegiate competitions these days. A number of Cricket specific facilities etc. But it's still a long, long way from being mainstream.

Reasonable is objective. I know there’s people playing and it’s growing for the reasons you say but in the grand scheme Americans have no idea what the sport is and explaining even T20 to them is impossible. I was in India for the last World Cup with some Americans and they’re beyond help.

Whatwhere

Juniors
Reasonable is objective. I know there’s people playing and it’s growing for the reasons you say but in the grand scheme Americans have no idea what the sport is and explaining even T20 to them is impossible. I was in India for the last World Cup with some Americans and they’re beyond help.

There's apparently 200k players in the States. But it's still a very long way from being mainstream and likely never really will. Which is somewhat odd. Americans tend to love very stats heavy sports. The NFL is a case in point. A very numbers based game. Much like Baseball. Same as Cricket.

Stallion

First Grade

Rugby league is comparatively well hidden and not on the top end of town vision. There are reasons for this.Lack of presence in various school formats around the world is the main reason for this lack of awareness for this constrained code. You may not think so? Others do!

Stallion

First Grade
You comments display a complete lack of understanding of how Rugby has established itself in the States while League struggles to move beyond a dozen or so active 'clubs' at any one time. And that's more than 30 years of hard graft from those within the Rugby community in establishing clubs, youth, high school and College competitions.

Something those behind League in NA have failed to either grasp or been willing to invest in. Rugby now has a proper domestic league with paying crowds, TV exposure and sponsorship but that has taken literally millions of man hours and 10s of millions of $ often out of the pockets of volunteers over decades to achieve. And will still likely take at least a decade to reach a level where it's remotely self-sustaining.

You do realise that union has immense contacts and power worldwide. Rugby league does not have this! Work it out. If it were purely based on sports attractiveness (both playing and to watch) rugby league would be the ultimate preferred choice. The uneven. playing field continues with no one really acknowledgin gather source of rugby league's issues. Once it gets scholastic presence things will change but apathy and lack of proactive Ness will ensure this code struggles along with union making sure it doesn't get too big for its bootsunami! Perhaps you unaware of the core issues. They are pervasive and far reaching and not just in the USA or North America.

Pommy

Coach
Rugby league is comparatively well hidden and not on the top end of town vision. There are reasons for this.Lack of presence in various school formats around the world is the main reason for this lack of awareness for this constrained code. You may not think so? Others do!

Yes I’m sure having a lack of presence in American schools does account for it but it’s never going to go mainstream there. Never mind rugby union the NFL wouldn’t allow it and they have much more money than Union do.

Whatwhere

Juniors
Yes I’m sure having a lack of presence in American schools does account for it but it’s never going to go mainstream there. Never mind rugby union the NFL wouldn’t allow it and they have much more money than Union do.

AF is a big roadblock. I know of guys willing to effectively fund entire Rugby programs at schools only to have them blocked by Football coaches. Or when programs are set up Football coaches forbidding their players from playing instead preferring them to run track or do nothing at all during the off season as opposed to playing a complementary sport.

Whatwhere

Juniors
You do realise that union has immense contacts and power worldwide. Rugby league does not have this! Work it out. If it were purely based on sports attractiveness (both playing and to watch) rugby league would be the ultimate preferred choice. The uneven. playing field continues with no one really acknowledgin gather source of rugby league's issues. Once it gets scholastic presence things will change but apathy and lack of proactive Ness will ensure this code struggles along with union making sure it doesn't get too big for its bootsunami! Perhaps you unaware of the core issues. They are pervasive and far reaching and not just in the USA or North America.

Rugby in the US does have a number of very wealthy and connected alumni. No disputing this. But none of the growth of the game beyond MLR has come from a single cent of these guys collective fortunes or lists of contacts.

It has come like in many other nations through hard graft and investment of both time and personal finances of those on the ground. Not from funds from a high. Building of the necessary foundations to spur growth down the line.

Stallion

First Grade
Rugby in the US does have a number of very wealthy and connected alumni. No disputing this. But none of the growth of the game beyond MLR has come from a single cent of these guys collective fortunes or lists of contacts.

It has come like in many other nations through hard graft and investment of both time and personal finances of those on the ground. Not from funds from a high. Building of the necessary foundations to spur growth down the line.

Still not getting the drift champ. Rugby league does not (repeat does not) have anywhere near the universal presence that union enjoys in schooling. This is the fundamental obstacle that has been facing rugby league basically everywhere. If Rugby-league sorts out such access then rugby-league will absolutely grow and overtake the more privileged union code. If only fairness and equity presided over a biased school system.that has been propagating union almost everywhere it exists. If you cannot see this logic we absolutely dissagree. It's not a comment on volunteers (all sports have them!). It's a comment on equitable access and awareness. This is not being afforded to rugby league. It's a sport for God's sakes! That's the bottom line!

Deeecoreturns

Juniors
Still not getting the drift champ. Rugby league does not (repeat does not) have anywhere near the universal presence that union enjoys in schooling. This is the fundamental obstacle that has been facing rugby league basically everywhere. If Rugby-league sorts out such access then rugby-league will absolutely grow and overtake the more privileged union code. If only fairness and equity presided over a biased school system.that has been propagating union almost everywhere it exists. If you cannot see this logic we absolutely dissagree. It's not a comment on volunteers (all sports have them!). It's a comment on equitable access and awareness. This is not being afforded to rugby league. It's a sport for God's sakes! That's the bottom line!

And it won't happen in the US in my lifetime imho Only semblance of a chance currently is Ulch at lakeland

Ballgame59

Juniors
I understand this conversation is more about code growth but we Americans really don't know what to do with rugby. It took so long to 'grow' soccer and I still think that that sport is destine to fail. I would love for rugby to grow here but there are just so many other sports to focus on. Baseball, gridiron, basketball, hockey, soccer, golf and now lacrosse is making a surge with the youths. College rugby is a cult sport that would help grow the sport but there is just not much interest after school. I've been following rugby since 2014 only. I go to my local St Pete Pelican's (Union) matches as often as I can and the other area Union side Tampa Bay Krewe when they are on this side of the Bay. Now that I found out about the Tampa Mayhem I follow and go when I can.

League code might increase in popularity if there were more exposure. Simply because it's more exciting than Union (my opinion). In fact, NRL is really the most like NFL here- which is more popular than baseball now. Major League Rugby might catch on if it were League but that's just my opinion again. What needs to happen is have League on a respectable tv channel instead of dead and buried Fox Soccer Plus. The only League code I can ever find is on Fox Soccer Plus - at 4 in the morning.

I wonder how many American parents would "choose" rugby for their child when there are the sports I mention above to be played. And kids here want to be like their sports heroes. Lerbron, Jeter, Brady, etc. so it should be up to their parents to point them in the rugger direction.

I don't know if I'm the only American here but that's how I think about it. I am constantly posting and re-posting rugby content on my social media feeds in hopes I could get at least one friend to take interest.

Just my two cents.

Or do I have this all wrong?

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I understand this conversation is more about code growth but we Americans really don't know what to do with rugby. It took so long to 'grow' soccer and I still think that that sport is destine to fail. I would love for rugby to grow here but there are just so many other sports to focus on. Baseball, gridiron, basketball, hockey, soccer, golf and now lacrosse is making a surge with the youths. College rugby is a cult sport that would help grow the sport but there is just not much interest after school. I've been following rugby since 2014 only. I go to my local St Pete Pelican's (Union) matches as often as I can and the other area Union side Tampa Bay Krewe when they are on this side of the Bay. Now that I found out about the Tampa Mayhem I follow and go when I can.

League code might increase in popularity if there were more exposure. Simply because it's more exciting (and a little more similar to NFL production) than Union. In fact, NRL is really the most like NFL here- which is more popular than baseball now. Major League Rugby might catch on if it were League but that's just my opinion. What needs to happen is have League on a respectable tv channel instead of dead and buried Fox Soccer Plus. The only League code I can ever find is on Fox Soccer Plus - at 4 in the morning.

I wonder how many American parents would "choose" rugby for their child when there are the sports I mention above to be played. And kids here want to be like their sports heroes. Lerbron, Jeter, Brady, etc. so it should be up to their parents to point them in the rugger direction.

I don't know if I'm the only American here but that's how I think about it. I am constantly posting and re-posting rugby content on my social media feeds in hopes I could get at least one friend to take interest.

Just my two cents.

You are spot on! It's getting the rugby-league awareness message out there that's the drama for this code. Given a fair go it would harness a decent amount of interest in North America. Cross fingers this may happen.

Deeecoreturns

Juniors

League code might increase in popularity if there were more exposure. Simply because it's more exciting than Union (my opinion). In fact, NRL is really the most like NFL here- which is more popular than baseball now. Major League Rugby might catch on if it were League but that's just my opinion again. What needs to happen is have League on a respectable tv channel instead of dead and buried Fox Soccer Plus. The only League code I can ever find is on Fox Soccer Plus - at 4 in the morning.

Just my two cents.

Or do I have this all wrong?

Some really good points there. Just an observation as you watch the pelicans and the krewe, I'm suprised you didn't hear about the mayhem earlier as all of our players either play for the krewe or the pelicans!

Just a note, fox soccer shows super league (or it did last year) at 3pm on a Thursday and Friday if you're ever about then and sometimes the challenge Cup games as well.

On a broader point you're right in what you say about parents, it could be ten years yet but the kids of our first generation players are all hitting that 8-13 year old range and sometimes come out to training, can all pass, catch and kick so I imagine that next generation will have a head start on this one who we picked up between the ages of 23-30. Very few former gridiron players make it, almost all of the better players were former military as that requires the positive attributes of rugby league far more than college football. I hear the argument all the time 'look at all these ex high school/college football players to pick from, they're just not built for rugby league

Ballgame59

Juniors
Some really good points there. Just an observation as you watch the pelicans and the krewe, I'm suprised you didn't hear about the mayhem earlier as all of our players either play for the krewe or the pelicans!

Just a note, fox soccer shows super league (or it did last year) at 3pm on a Thursday and Friday if you're ever about then and sometimes the challenge Cup games as well.

On a broader point you're right in what you say about parents, it could be ten years yet but the kids of our first generation players are all hitting that 8-13 year old range and sometimes come out to training, can all pass, catch and kick so I imagine that next generation will have a head start on this one who we picked up between the ages of 23-30. Very few former gridiron players make it, almost all of the better players were former military as that requires the positive attributes of rugby league far more than college football. I hear the argument all the time 'look at all these ex high school/college football players to pick from, they're just not built for rugby league

I had no idea that they played for them. Or I never noticed. I did noticed a couple of Pelicans were at the Mayhem/Rhinos match the other week as spectators. I've only been to two Pelican's socials - when we (St Pete) hosted the Halloween 7's tourney a few years ago and the last World Cup finals at The Pelican Pub. In other words, if I were to attend more socials, I'd probably have paid more attention.

I actually do have my DVR set to record Super League and watch every match (they do still show it). Weekends too now I think. I do prefer NRL though so that's kind of why I mentioned it. I would love to see NRL on FS1 or FS2 . Even if it's a replay. Just for the exposure.

And just to touch on one rugby/gridiron comparison - American gridiron players could greatly benefit from learning how to rugby tackle.

Stallion

First Grade
I had no idea that they played for them. Or I never noticed. I did noticed a couple of Pelicans were at the Mayhem/Rhinos match the other week as spectators. I've only been to two Pelican's socials - when we (St Pete) hosted the Halloween 7's tourney a few years ago and the last World Cup finals at The Pelican Pub. In other words, if I were to attend more socials, I'd probably have paid more attention.

I actually do have my DVR set to record Super League and watch every match (they do still show it). Weekends too now I think. I do prefer NRL though so that's kind of why I mentioned it. I would love to see NRL on FS1 or FS2 . Even if it's a replay. Just for the exposure.

And just to touch on one rugby/gridiron comparison - American gridiron players could greatly benefit from learning how to rugby tackle.

And guess whom are conistently the best rugby tacklers ! Rugby league players!

Deeecoreturns

Juniors
And guess whom are conistently the best rugby tacklers ! Rugby league players!

If American football players tackled like league players they'd give up first down after first down after first down. You couldn't do it. In league you've no objection about giving up three yards to control the attacker, absorb the contact and slow the ruck. Those three yards most tackles are victory and defeat in American football. American footballers absolutely need better techniques but the large majority of rugby league tackles ain't it