What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reserves Rd 18 - Magpies v Saints

Pezz70

Juniors
Good to see it live on TV. 18-6 at half time - Magpies lead. Disappointed with the standard. There really doesn’t seem to be anybody who is capable of taking it up a notch to NRL. I’ve heard big things on the forum about a couple of the boys but I don’t think there’s anybody in that team that is anywhere near ready for the big time. Talau’s try was nice, good skill, great footwork but he has been suspect in defence, and appears a little lazy to be truthful. Bradley has had a couple of high kicks go to his side and just watched them, not acceptable. Oliver Clark looks slow and cumbersome, fitness might be an issue for him. Jennings has been 50/50 had a few carries but has also watched a bomb or two bounce. He is struggling to defend beside Madden and if Saints go down that side all day they will win the game. Maddens defence is early Luke Brooks style. I don’t get why they put half backs out where traditional centres defend, it one of the hardest defensive positions on the park. I’d put him inside the edge back rower, make him improve his technique.

Pezz70

Juniors
Jeez if you're disappointed with that I wonder what you thought of the last 3 odd games haha

Saints had been very ordinary! I think it’s a really big jump from here to NRL and these boys have to be doing everything right at this level before you can try them upstairs. You don’t have to be a out and out standout just do the little things to a very high standard

The unknown

Juniors
Saints had been very ordinary! I think it’s a really big jump from here to NRL and these boys have to be doing everything right at this level before you can try them upstairs. You don’t have to be a out and out standout just do the little things to a very high standard

Agree but my point is we've played better than previous weeks atleast, looks like Saints will storm home tho

BuffaloRules

Coach
Two missed field goals in the last two minutes from right in front...

Much like the first grade side... I wonder if the club practices basic skills like field goals, goal kicks... no one seems much good at it..

The unknown

Juniors
Is it true they made Madden captain? didn't take notice.

Looks like they are trying to fast track him as the halves situation at our club is diabolical

Pezz70

Juniors
Is it true they made Madden captain? didn't take notice.

Looks like they are trying to fast track him as the halves situation at our club is diabolical

Madden is not even in the NRL ballpark ATM. He is lucky to be playing Canterbury Cup given what i’ve seen the last two weeks

The unknown

Juniors
Madden is not even in the NRL ballpark ATM. He is lucky to be playing Canterbury Cup given what i’ve seen the last two weeks

Yeah I'm not expecting him to be in consideration until 2021 If I'm honest. I don't think he has to look like a world beater just yet but it's a good idea getting him in early with the big boys

Pezz70

Juniors
Madden is very young but he's a long ways off....he'll be on his P's for awhile yet
Yeah I'm not expecting him to be in consideration until 2021 If I'm honest. I don't think he has to look like a world beater just yet but it's a good idea getting him in early with the big boys

I think he should be playing u20’s. Tigers are the kings of cruelling young talent. There’s very few kids with the strength skills and mental toughness to run with the bigger lads. They bring the lads up far too quickly. Another two seasons of development and he might come up trumps.

I gave up posting the team etc because they give me the shits but watched the 2nd half because I'm a sucker.

I thought Packer went OK in the minutes he played - shows what a guy can do if there is the risk of losing one contract and the possibility of not picking up another.

Jennings, what a winger - NOT.

Madden, playing reserves and captain. It's not like he was thrown in from Rd 1, it is really the last 2 rounds until the season end. Why not give him a simple catch and pass task but if sees something, go for it? As for captain, well he has captained guys his own age, again, its not that many games until season end so why not see how he goes directing the older & experienced guys around. He's only going to learn from his mistakes (what am I saying? not many of the Tigers NRL players have learnt from their mistakes over the years !!! ).