What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Journo's criticising the Fans...

getsmarty

Immortal
No not Goz, I have had a few with him though, good fella. Im not playing guessing games I'm just telling a story he considers himself more a Broncos player, even though he's a local junior. I have tried fishing but he never even mentions the Dragons.

Can it be Nathan....LOL anyway , doesn't really matter as the reality is as a Fan I'm no longer going to pay my hard earned for an inferior product....If typing that makes me a "Keyboard warrior " then so be it....Happy to walk away and go and support another code that is run professionally....AFL

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Can it be Nathan....LOL anyway , doesn't really matter as the reality is as a Fan I'm no longer going to pay my hard earned for an inferior product....If typing that makes me a "Keyboard warrior " then so be it....Happy to walk away and go and support another code that is run professionally....AFL
I would actually love it if Mary just said stuff it, the seasons over lets just go out and cause some upsets and throw the ball around, score a few tries. Take the pressure right off and just let them play what's in front of them.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I would actually love it if Mary just said stuff it, the seasons over lets just go out and cause some upsets and throw the ball around, score a few tries. Take the pressure right off and just let them play what's in front of them.
No, it’s all about the D and ensuring we’re putting the basics in play to have a run at 8th place in 2021..

You can’t throw away chances like that..

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Well I think Mary will be getting some nice big D up the A when they have this review.
Its got me stuffed with Aitken, he should be the best defensive centre in the NRL, he is build like tank im just surprised he hasn't had ongoing lessons with Matt Cooper. Fair enough he can't pass too well although he is trying lately we had Beau Scott playing centre for a long period under Wayne and did just fine as a boring but very effective defensive side. Im not sure if its too late for young Euan but surely there is a coach out there that can get him playing to his potential.

Old Timer

Coach
NRL has far too much exposure and provides a living for far too many parasites including journo’s
All hype and hoopla without a descent analysis of the game or the tactics employed during a game
Once upon a time RL was never in the news until Thu night at the earliest, the Sat game commented on Sun, the Sun game commented on Mon and then anything else via RLW once a week
Now the game is like a variety show 7 days a week and commentary has gone away from the game itself
No doubt the NRL have clamped down on journo’s just like coaches and players and inhibit them being able to criticise anything.
To criticise fans for criticism their team without addressing the concerns they raise is just a joke.
Moose, Clarkeson, Pearce, Casey, Masters, Hyde, Ashton, Purcell all wrote from a deep and abiding love & knowledge of the game and we’re not puppets of media mogels.

ebbedfred

Bench
Mid last year, and for a long time before that, many fans were critical of Mary, his game plans (or lack thereof), his bench mismanagement, his proven record of 2nd half of the year slides and fans raised these concerns to media, radio stations etc. The reply was almost everytime...."what are you complaining about, you're in the top 4".

Ok, yes, the magnitude of complaints is now greater, but It's only now the media realise that these fans may in fact have been correct back then, yet, we get labled as fickle?

A lot of people have seen this coming, it's just lazy work from the journo's.

BLM01

First Grade
No not Goz, I have had a few with him though, good fella. Im not playing guessing games I'm just telling a story he considers himself more a Broncos player, even though he's a local junior. I have tried fishing but he never even mentions the Dragons.
Luke Priddis

BLM01

First Grade
Mid last year, and for a long time before that, many fans were critical of Mary, his game plans (or lack thereof), his bench mismanagement, his proven record of 2nd half of the year slides and fans raised these concerns to media, radio stations etc. The reply was almost everytime...."what are you complaining about, you're in the top 4".

Ok, yes, the magnitude of complaints is now greater, but It's only now the media realise that these fans may in fact have been correct back then, yet, we get labled as fickle?

A lot of people have seen this coming, it's just lazy work from the journo's.
Spot on...and in previous 2 years

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Are you Indonesian?
More likely a slap on the wrist with a rolled up 10 year contract extension.
Haha good one, he definitely won't get an extension, there is probably a 40% chance he will see out 2 years but I reckon there is an 80% he will see out 3/4 of 2020, seeing as what happened this year. They will see how he goes next year and I reckon if he is in the same position next year there will be an early axing. I would imagine that if Mary doesn't win a premiership within his allotted time he's gone no matter if he gets deep in the finals both years.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
I heard Kent, Hooper, Ginnane and Tallis on MMM yesterday talking about this. They invited callers to discuss the problems. Then they provided a protection racket for Mary turning every issue into something beyond his control.

One caller mentioned that they fade midseason every year, and that Mary had promised to get it right year after year. This it became a discussion about how other teams go ok notwithstanding origin reps, and Hunt should have refused to be rested last week. No actual interrogation of the fact that he has failed year on year.

Another caller mentioned the back five not being up to scratch. Their excuses included 'well Mary doesn't do recruitment!' (with of course no mention of the fact he had this responsibility taken off him for failing in that department, or his inherent conservatism and not giving the likes of Lomax, Garrick, Herbert, Milne others a run). They then lamented the lack of 'big bodies' in the back 5. Someone sheepishly mentioned the size of Ravalawa before they moved on...

Then it was that players' fault, particularly forwards (who they all agree are great on paper) for not doing the job. If the players are great on paper then it is clearly an issue of leadership and motivation. They always come of the sheds in the second half worse than the first, right after a motivational talk from the Maestro.

Finally they discussed the 'cutthroat fans' and how the board needed to 'hold their nerve' on Tuesday and stick with Mary. This is such lazy analysis. You (we) all are pretty hopeless cutthroats if you couldn't get rid of Doust for 2 decades or Mary for six years and counting.

We're stuck in a dank pool of conservatism without leadership. Mary is lacking confidence - you can see the fear in interviews now that some of the arrogance has finally washed away. It's a terrible feeling knowing that if (as happened last year in the Brisbane final) he throws his hands in the air and players ad-lib a win or two, he'll keep the job and prolong the pain. The only way out seems via the spoon.
Damn, if they are that protective of Mary, there's gotta be brown paper bags involved. If Cleary and Brennan get SO much media coverage, Mary would have to as well, right?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Think he's been doing that all year.
The team don't really play with any real plan.
One out stuff, kick high on last, normally to a decent catcher.

Doubt if there's been a chip & chase all year. We are so predictable.
A change is needed.

Latest posts