What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ASHES: 1st Test Australia v England, Edgbaston Aug 1-5

TheParraboy

Staff member
Not far to go, 10 days away

With the women aussies easily securing their ashes overnight, time for the blokes to aim up for once over there.

As winner of the last ashes, all we need is a draw, easier said than done

We jag a win here at Birmingham, where we usually fail , will go a long way

starts Thursday week at 8pm

My team for the 1st test

Warner
Harris
Patterson
Smith
Head
Burns
Paine
Cummins
Bird
Hazlewood
Lyon

I would’ve had Khawaja at opener and Harris at 3, but I couldn’t select Khawaja off no warm up games.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Warner
Harris
Khawaja (if fit)
Smith
Head
Bancroft/Patterson (whoever scores more in the tour game)
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Hazelwood
Lyon

I like Pattinson in the side if he's fit.

The last batting spot is a lottery.

Zero wickets for Starc in the warm up.

As I was saying there’s some wickets that don’t suit him in England. The further north you go, the wickets are more spongy.

he’ll do well in the two London tests, but the rest they should be careful about selecting him.

undertaker

Coach
I hope I'm wrong, but Mitchell Marsh's gritty 29 runs might just get him the #6 spot in the starting XI. With Langer as coach, we know how Western Australians get the rub of the green when it comes to the 50/50 selections.

I'd prefer us to play our 6 best batsmen rather than waste a position on a sub-standard all-rounder, like we did with Maxwell and Stoinis during the World Cup. The selectors simply don't learn their lesson at all. Trying to polish a turd doesn't hide the fact that the turd is still a turd.

undertaker

Coach

As I was saying there’s some wickets that don’t suit him in England. The further north you go, the wickets are more spongy.

he’ll do well in the two London tests, but the rest they should be careful about selecting him.

I agree with you, but it's going to take a lot of balls from the selectors to drop him as he's one of the players held in high regard mainly due to World Cup performances (his ODI stats are outstanding, but hasn't quite delivered with the same venom during his test career).

I hope I'm wrong, but Mitchell Marsh's gritty 29 runs might just get him the #6 spot in the starting XI. With Langer as coach, we know how Western Australians get the rub of the green when it comes to the 50/50 selections.

I'd prefer us to play our 6 best batsmen rather than waste a position on a sub-standard all-rounder, like we did with Maxwell and Stoinis during the World Cup. The selectors simply don't learn their lesson at all. Trying to polish a turd doesn't hide the fact that the turd is still a turd.

If we have to play an all rounder, make it Labuschagne. At least he’s a batting all rounder.

TheParraboy

Staff member
hey guys

Ive created a ireland v england test thread (have moved your posts there)

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade

The thing is, Starc has the tools to succeed in England. Hazlewood is the best suited to the conditions but no Australian quick can swing a ball like Starc. He just needs to be a bit smarter when in the UK.

Travis Head?
Better with the bat and ball than Marnus and allows for a top 6 of Warner
Harris/Burns/Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson/Burns/Carey.

He’s not better with the ball than Labuschagne. Not even close.

Renshaw is no longer in calculations either.

The thing is, Starc has the tools to succeed in England. Hazlewood is the best suited to the conditions but no Australian quick can swing a ball like Starc. He just needs to be a bit smarter when in the UK.

England is much more about length than it is about swing. That’s where Starc struggles.

the ball naturally moves for most bowlers over there, so it’ll favour the bowlers who can get consistent length.

Travitoh

First Grade
England is much more about length than it is about swing. That’s where Starc struggles.

the ball naturally moves for most bowlers over there, so it’ll favour the bowlers who can get consistent length.

Agree but like i said, he needs to be smarter.

He’s not better with the ball than Labuschagne. Not even close.

Renshaw is no longer in calculations either.

I'll cop that but Head is definitely better with the bat and in the top 6, that is the higher priority. Only need a few doorknobs from someone to get through a few overs as a 5th option with the ball.

Renshaw is only listed because he's an option, nothing more.

Agree but like i said, he needs to be smarter.

Not sure he has it in him, he is what he is by this stage of his career. He’ll still do well at lords or the oval.

I'll cop that but Head is definitely better with the bat and in the top 6, that is the higher priority. Only need a few doorknobs from someone to get through a few overs as a 5th option with the ball.

Renshaw is only listed because he's an option, nothing more.

Sure, but I was only saying *if* we play an all rounder Labuschagne is better than Marsh.

Personally I wouldn’t play one at all. Unless Labuschagne improves his batting to the point he’s good enough to be in the top 6. There’s some signs he’s improving, and not many batsmen are putting their hand up.

Couldn’t play Patterson now, so I’ll revise my lineup

Warner
Bancroft
Harris
Smith
Head
Burns
Paine
Cummins
Bird
Hazlewood
Lyon