What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todays D-Day......... Change, Same or Dummy Spit?

Tez

Juniors
Imagine all the excuses which will be dished out today from Mary and co. They will start with JDB, then injuries, then Origin period and finish with if the field was shorter we would have won more games.

I cannot see any more changes coming. The only one that should be discussed is if Mary does not make the 8 he is sacked as part of a clause inserted in his latest contract and they are discussing next years coach position because they can see the writing is on the wall and they will need to start interviewing. But that is wishful thinking. As if they are smart enough to have a clause like that in his contract.

Isn't JDB in courts today as well for the last fight with NRL's rule. I have a feeling it is more around that and getting him away from the club if he loses the case or sue the pants off the NRL for lost revenue and damage to the club this rule has caused.
I think JdB's case is set for 13 August.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
What time is the meeting today?

The meeting was at 9am.
The minutes carried over to 9:01am
Johnston had a wind attack which evacuated the room.
There was a vote for coffee at 9:03am
The meeting was adjorned at 9:04am until 2 years time when McIdiots contract is up.
No further discussion will be entered into.
Class dismissed.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
The media today is already setting the tone for the announcement from the BOD which will go something like this:

"The situation with JDB derailed our season as is testified to by the statements made in the media by the great Gus Gould & others.
Our management & coaching staff have tried to keep a balanced position over the issue in trying to look after the welfare of Jack and the playing group as a whole.
This is not the only situation that has affected us as we have had a bad run of injuries to Widdop, Graham, Sims, Latimore all seasoned & important players to our squad and also Lomax who is one of the rising stars identified during Mary's time at the club.
On top of all this we were forced to supply 5 players into the SOO series which further placed our roster under extreme pressure and it would be fair to say that whilst some of the younger players had some valuable time in the NRL they found the occasion somewhat overwhelm but will be better for the experience and will come ahead leaps & bounds under Mary's coaching in 2020.
The BOD does acknowledge that the coach & players have to take some responsibility for what has happened this season but taking a balanced approach we think it best to make further assessments at some point in 2020 when Mary and the players have had the opportunity to work with a settled team.
We acknowledge the fans are frustrated by the results but we ask them to be understanding as to what a tough year it has been and urge them to look forward to a rejuvenated St GI in 2020."

Now if I was a journo I would say something like this

"The StGI NRL side and the club behind it are less than a shadow of the former great club known as the Dragons.
The once fire breathing powerhouse of rugby league has been driven into the ground by inept management, nepotism, the NRL re the JV and the constant appointment of un-credentialed coaches who just happen to have been past players.
The club has accepted mediocrity as its coat of arms as evidenced by the coaching staff it employs and many of the players within its roster.
The fans rightfully have identified many of the issues confronting the once proud club but unfortunately the BOD and WIN corporation are seeing the fans concerns especially around coaching as being totally unjustified and after 5 years of ordinary results the BOD are demanding the fans to sign up for a further 2 years with Mary at the helm despite a < 50% winning average despite having the team he wants.
One can only imagine that there will be very poor merchandise sales and a lot of empty seats when St GI play in 2020."

Bench
They really must think that us, their supporters, don’t understand the complexity involved with running a team.
They will bring out the usual mantra that the Board has reviewed the performance of our team, excuses, they must have a bucket load.
They will say the club is on a rebuilding of the plan and the first step was to extend McIdiots contract to maintain peace and harmony in the clu.
Of course we will the usuals tried and trusted responses, JDB, SOO and injuries.
In plain English I doubt the Board gives a shit about our supporters

merahputih

Juniors
The media today is already setting the tone for the announcement from the BOD which will go something like this:

"The situation with JDB derailed our season as is testified to by the statements made in the media by the great Gus Gould & others.
Our management & coaching staff have tried to keep a balanced position over the issue in trying to look after the welfare of Jack and the playing group as a whole.
This is not the only situation that has affected us as we have had a bad run of injuries to Widdop, Graham, Sims, Latimore all seasoned & important players to our squad and also Lomax who is one of the rising stars identified during Mary's time at the club.
On top of all this we were forced to supply 5 players into the SOO series which further placed our roster under extreme pressure and it would be fair to say that whilst some of the younger players had some valuable time in the NRL they found the occasion somewhat overwhelm but will be better for the experience and will come ahead leaps & bounds under Mary's coaching in 2020.
The BOD does acknowledge that the coach & players have to take some responsibility for what has happened this season but taking a balanced approach we think it best to make further assessments at some point in 2020 when Mary and the players have had the opportunity to work with a settled team.
We acknowledge the fans are frustrated by the results but we ask them to be understanding as to what a tough year it has been and urge them to look forward to a rejuvenated St GI in 2020."

Now if I was a journo I would say something like this

"The StGI NRL side and the club behind it are less than a shadow of the former great club known as the Dragons.
The once fire breathing powerhouse of rugby league has been driven into the ground by inept management, nepotism, the NRL re the JV and the constant appointment of un-credentialed coaches who just happen to have been past players.
The club has accepted mediocrity as its coat of arms as evidenced by the coaching staff it employs and many of the players within its roster.
The fans rightfully have identified many of the issues confronting the once proud club but unfortunately the BOD and WIN corporation are seeing the fans concerns especially around coaching as being totally unjustified and after 5 years of ordinary results the BOD are demanding the fans to sign up for a further 2 years with Mary at the helm despite a < 50% winning average despite having the team he wants.
One can only imagine that there will be very poor merchandise sales and a lot of empty seats when St GI play in 2020."
Delete the second part of your post and the PR job at Dragons HQ is yours.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Ok, so today is D-Day............... will we see a change in coach?
Will we see squat and more of the same?
Will us fans have a dummy spit with whatever happens?

I'm hoping for a change but wouldn't be surprised with, more of the same and will have a dummy spit because of it.
Great, just answered my own question!

Your thoughts..................
When we all wake up in the morning,

The rightful pesimist would say nothing has changed. Screw the board.

The rightful optimist would say finally the board has indicated a cleanout plan and all coaches and players are on notice for final 7 rounds.
No more excuses. Squad is litterally all back including Widdop.

I hope to be the optimist.!

Last edited:

Ringas

Juniors
I'm predicting after the Board Meeting will come the standard SPIN announcement.
Further end of season review panel will be set up, made up of former Dragon Players. Mary will be given more resources & assistants with Trent Barrett to be his co-advisor. He'll end up with more assistants and advisors than Donald Trump & yet get the same result. ...f**k everything around him & deny it all!
Great comment very true the boys will bleed the club dry

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Announcement: Board Meeting Update

Tuesday 23rd July 3.45pm

The St George Illawarra Dragons board met today to review team performance over the 2019 season so far.

The board wish to acknowledge the hard work put in by the players, staff and fans over what has been a difficult season.

Whilst the Club has been impacted by player unavailability due to both injury and off field matters, the results have fallen below the high expectations of the board.

As a result, three staff members will be leaving the club at the end of this month.

We thank them for their work here and wish them well in their new endeavours.

www.dragons.com.au/news/board-update-July.html

denis preston

First Grade
Not back from their boozy lunch yet !

I expect lots of " under notice " threats but thats about all. Perhaps Barrett instantly employed in some coaching capacity would be the most radical thing to come out of this .

Latest posts