What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomoz

Bench

rhino2009

Juniors
Is it not certain that Penrith will grant Mahoney early release from his 2020 contract so he can play in Super League? I saw an interview with Cleary after last nights match where he appeared non committed about Mahoney going early. Do you think he will be granted early release and do you think his destination will be Leeds?

Please any more news of if Maloney will be granted early release from his2020 contract and will he sign for Leeds?

OldPanther

Coach
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ex...s/news-story/f344dce5827ebea245133b0baebf6cb8

CATALANS FIRM AS MALONEY’S DESTINATION

Catalans coach Steve McNamara says his club is keen on James Maloney and that he will be one or two “significant” signings for the French club.

Maloney is not off contract until 2020, but could link with the Dragons next year if the Panthers grant him a release to take up a big payday.

“I said last week that we wouldn’t be making wholesale signings but we will be making one or two significant signings — certainly one,” McNamara said.

“We will see what the next few weeks brings.

“I’m a big fan of Jimmy, I coached him at the Roosters. He is a great character and a great player. He is a champion player and I know him well.”

OldPanther

Coach
The way he's going it's becoming increasingly unlikely.

Sounds like he's linking with an old friend:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ex...s/news-story/f344dce5827ebea245133b0baebf6cb8

CATALANS FIRM AS MALONEY’S DESTINATION

Catalans coach Steve McNamara says his club is keen on James Maloney and that he will be one or two “significant” signings for the French club.

Maloney is not off contract until 2020, but could link with the Dragons next year if the Panthers grant him a release to take up a big payday.

“I said last week that we wouldn’t be making wholesale signings but we will be making one or two significant signings — certainly one,” McNamara said.

“We will see what the next few weeks brings.

“I’m a big fan of Jimmy, I coached him at the Roosters. He is a great character and a great player. He is a champion player and I know him well.”

They along with about a dozen others.

Yep a real team effort.

maple_69

Bench
So hypothetical conversation. Maloney does move on in 2020. We run Cleary/Luai in the halves. Assume the Blake and DWZ moves have us under the cap for next year. What do we do with Jimmy’s ~$800K?

Looking at our potential 17 for next year:
1. Edwards 2. Mansour 3. Naden 4. Whare 5. To’o 6. Luai 7. Cleary 8. Tamou 9. Kenny 10. JFH 11. Kikau 12. Martin 13. Yeo 14. Egan 15. RCG 16. Leota 17. Winterstein/Sele/Cartwright/Hetherington/May...

Guys outside with potential to be better than depth:
Crichton, Burton, Staines, Leniu, S. Blore, Burns, Hopgood, Lou-Toso.

I feel reasonably confident based on the core squad we have, and Ivan, that we’ll be a pretty solid defensive unit and generally match it up front. Leniu and Blore feel like guys that could push our pack into dominant territory while I think RCG, Kikau and JFH are existing guys that will get a fair bit better.

With Blake moving on I think we lack a dominant ball runner in the backline, although To’o is nice. Ideally Crichton will fill this gap and free up some money via Whare. Outside of that we are solid defensively, have an aerial target now, good finishers on the wings, strong back 3 to kick start sets while being susceptible to cross field kicks.

Burton and Staines appear strong options if we’re not happy with what Edwards/Luai are delivering in the spine.

That leads me to the obvious, upgrade hooker. The Kenny/Egan tandem is starting to look good but it’d certainly be an area we could invest in for a quicker upgrade, particularly if the other elements look like coming together for a run.

Looking at the options that would actually be upgrades or long term high ceiling guys I think Brandon Smith or Koroisau would be my key, somewhat realistic, targets.

Thoughts?

Crashtest

Juniors
Drop RCG and maybe he'll do a DWZ and find a way to piss off, and relieve us of his contract.

Cleary dropped him once already this year, and he went back to reserves and played well and with the right attitude. So totally different response than how DWZ handled things.

It’s probably being way too optimistic, but I’m still hoping he keeps building on his form and is back to his best come finals time.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Cleary dropped him once already this year, and he went back to reserves and played well and with the right attitude. So totally different response than how DWZ handled things.

It’s probably being way too optimistic, but I’m still hoping he keeps building on his form and is back to his best come finals time.

Since Reg was dropped to reggies. He has worked hard, and dare I say perhaps even justifyed his pay packet. (since no one on here actually knows what this is)

Reg in his current form a keeper.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Drop RCG and maybe he'll do a DWZ and find a way to piss off, and relieve us of his contract.
There was a period in 2016 where RCG was the best prop in the world on form. Remember it was towards the backend of the season.
So hypothetical conversation. Maloney does move on in 2020. We run Cleary/Luai in the halves. Assume the Blake and DWZ moves have us under the cap for next year. What do we do with Jimmy’s ~$800K?

Looking at our potential 17 for next year:
1. Edwards 2. Mansour 3. Naden 4. Whare 5. To’o 6. Luai 7. Cleary 8. Tamou 9. Kenny 10. JFH 11. Kikau 12. Martin 13. Yeo 14. Egan 15. RCG 16. Leota 17. Winterstein/Sele/Cartwright/Hetherington/May...

Guys outside with potential to be better than depth:
Crichton, Burton, Staines, Leniu, S. Blore, Burns, Hopgood, Lou-Toso.

I feel reasonably confident based on the core squad we have, and Ivan, that we’ll be a pretty solid defensive unit and generally match it up front. Leniu and Blore feel like guys that could push our pack into dominant territory while I think RCG, Kikau and JFH are existing guys that will get a fair bit better.

With Blake moving on I think we lack a dominant ball runner in the backline, although To’o is nice. Ideally Crichton will fill this gap and free up some money via Whare. Outside of that we are solid defensively, have an aerial target now, good finishers on the wings, strong back 3 to kick start sets while being susceptible to cross field kicks.

Burton and Staines appear strong options if we’re not happy with what Edwards/Luai are delivering in the spine.

That leads me to the obvious, upgrade hooker. The Kenny/Egan tandem is starting to look good but it’d certainly be an area we could invest in for a quicker upgrade, particularly if the other elements look like coming together for a run.

Looking at the options that would actually be upgrades or long term high ceiling guys I think Brandon Smith or Koroisau would be my key, somewhat realistic, targets.

Thoughts?
Money or a starting spot doesn't matter to B Smith. He isn't leaving the Storm he truly loves the club.

TheFrog

Coach
Rabbitohs brought in Farah, would have paid a few bob too (although I think Wests picked up some of the tab), while having an undiscovered 25 year old Damien Cook running around in NSW Cup. Luckily for them, neither Cook nor anyone else knew what was about to happen.

Katoa appears gone. Lets see what the other pair can do before chasing them off as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts