What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Rabbitohs brought in Farah, would have paid a few bob too (although I think Wests picked up some of the tab), while having an undiscovered 25 year old Damien Cook running around in NSW Cup. Luckily for them, neither Cook nor anyone else knew what was about to happen.

Katoa appears gone. Lets see what the other pair can do before chasing them off as well.

I agree. Both seem to be doing a great job at the moment, and best of all improving each and every week too.

betcats

Referee
So hypothetical conversation. Maloney does move on in 2020. We run Cleary/Luai in the halves. Assume the Blake and DWZ moves have us under the cap for next year. What do we do with Jimmy’s ~$800K?

Looking at our potential 17 for next year:
1. Edwards 2. Mansour 3. Naden 4. Whare 5. To’o 6. Luai 7. Cleary 8. Tamou 9. Kenny 10. JFH 11. Kikau 12. Martin 13. Yeo 14. Egan 15. RCG 16. Leota 17. Winterstein/Sele/Cartwright/Hetherington/May...

Guys outside with potential to be better than depth:
Crichton, Burton, Staines, Leniu, S. Blore, Burns, Hopgood, Lou-Toso.

I feel reasonably confident based on the core squad we have, and Ivan, that we’ll be a pretty solid defensive unit and generally match it up front. Leniu and Blore feel like guys that could push our pack into dominant territory while I think RCG, Kikau and JFH are existing guys that will get a fair bit better.

With Blake moving on I think we lack a dominant ball runner in the backline, although To’o is nice. Ideally Crichton will fill this gap and free up some money via Whare. Outside of that we are solid defensively, have an aerial target now, good finishers on the wings, strong back 3 to kick start sets while being susceptible to cross field kicks.

Burton and Staines appear strong options if we’re not happy with what Edwards/Luai are delivering in the spine.

That leads me to the obvious, upgrade hooker. The Kenny/Egan tandem is starting to look good but it’d certainly be an area we could invest in for a quicker upgrade, particularly if the other elements look like coming together for a run.

Looking at the options that would actually be upgrades or long term high ceiling guys I think Brandon Smith or Koroisau would be my key, somewhat realistic, targets.

Thoughts?

If Luai makes 6 his own I’d look at Burton at fb or in a utility role.

So hypothetical conversation. Maloney does move on in 2020. We run Cleary/Luai in the halves. Assume the Blake and DWZ moves have us under the cap for next year. What do we do with Jimmy’s ~$800K?

1. Edwards 2. Mansour 3. Naden 4. Whare 5. To’o 6. Luai 7. Cleary 8. Tamou 9. Kenny 10. JFH 11. Kikau 12. Martin 13. Yeo 14. Egan 15. RCG 16. Leota 17. Winterstein/Sele/Cartwright/Hetherington/May...

I feel reasonably confident based on the core squad we have, and Ivan, that we’ll be a pretty solid defensive unit and generally match it up front. Leniu and Blore feel like guys that could push our pack into dominant territory while I think RCG, Kikau and JFH are existing guys that will get a fair bit better.

With Blake moving on I think we lack a dominant ball runner in the backline, although To’o is nice. Ideally Crichton will fill this gap and free up some money via Whare. Outside of that we are solid defensively, have an aerial target now, good finishers on the wings, strong back 3 to kick start sets while being susceptible to cross field kicks.

Burton and Staines appear strong options if we’re not happy with what Edwards/Luai are delivering in the spine.

That leads me to the obvious, upgrade hooker. The Kenny/Egan tandem is starting to look good but it’d certainly be an area we could invest in for a quicker upgrade, particularly if the other elements look like coming together for a run.

Looking at the options that would actually be upgrades or long term high ceiling guys I think Brandon Smith or Koroisau would be my key, somewhat realistic, targets.

Thoughts?

There was a rumour from the mole today (yeah I know) that Koroisau may be let go by Manly.

Rabbitohs brought in Farah, would have paid a few bob too (although I think Wests picked up some of the tab), while having an undiscovered 25 year old Damien Cook running around in NSW Cup. Luckily for them, neither Cook nor anyone else knew what was about to happen.

Katoa appears gone. Lets see what the other pair can do before chasing them off as well.

They won’t be chased off, we’ve got them under contract.

Difficult balancing act because they do have some promise, but we’re lacking offensive options in the spine for next year.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal

Thoughts?

Backup centre, Half and hooker are musts. Guys with a bit of FG

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
There was never a point in time in which RCG was the best prop at Penrith, much less the world.
Go back and watch the 2017 finals game against Brisbane. Not just our best prop but our best player by a mile. High work rate, physical in defense, played massive minutes (around 70 IIRC), made two line breaks scored a try and was only stopped from scoring a second due to crashing into the goal posts. Forced a knock on on last with kick pressure pressure on Milford late in the game which was a big mommuntem changer. He practically carried our team for a period there. Our best attacking weapon being a prop in such a big game says it all.

What other prop could carry such a shit attacking side? Even if you disagree about him being the prop on form in the game he was the Panthers best prop by a country mile and easily the best player on the field that day in a losing side.

Last edited:

Panfa

Juniors
Campbell gillard was on fire 2017 2 broken jaws can shatter anyones confidence he will improve dont worry good thing about reagan he has got good leg speed for a frontrower very mobile

OldPanther

Coach
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ex...s/news-story/f344dce5827ebea245133b0baebf6cb8

CATALANS FIRM AS MALONEY’S DESTINATION

Catalans coach Steve McNamara says his club is keen on James Maloney and that he will be one or two “significant” signings for the French club.

Maloney is not off contract until 2020, but could link with the Dragons next year if the Panthers grant him a release to take up a big payday.

“I said last week that we wouldn’t be making wholesale signings but we will be making one or two significant signings — certainly one,” McNamara said.

“We will see what the next few weeks brings.

“I’m a big fan of Jimmy, I coached him at the Roosters. He is a great character and a great player. He is a champion player and I know him well.”

I think everyone missed this which sounds like confirmation.

Abacus

Juniors

Thoughts?
Throw an $800k (3 or 4 years) offer to Jake Trbojevic for 2021 onwards.

Looking at our roster, leadership will be missing. Someone that can keep us on the field and keep our game plan (or even tell Ivan what the game plan should be?).

Tamou is off contract after 2020 so if we jagged Jrbojevic we may lose Tamou or he'd be offered a reduced amount.

Anyway Jrbojevic is on the market now, so the club could gauge his interest before any official offer from 1 November.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Well the first thing that needs to happen with Jimmy's cash is saving enough to upgrade Luai if he comes in and kills it

chrisD

Coach
Go back and watch the 2017 finals game against Brisbane. Not just our best prop but our best player by a mile. High work rate, physical in defense, played massive minutes (around 70 IIRC), made two line breaks scored a try and was only stopped from scoring a second due to crashing into the goal posts. Forced a knock on on last with kick pressure pressure on Milford late in the game which was a big mommuntem changer. He practically carried our team for a period there. Our best attacking weapon being a prop in such a big game says it all.

What other prop could carry such a shit attacking side? Even if you disagree about him being the prop on form in the game he was the Panthers best prop by a country mile and easily the best player on the field that day in a losing side.
I remember it, he played a very good final stint, outlasting the rest of the forwards. Ok, so he was for one game the best prop at Penrith, and a handbrake on momentum in the middle of the park the rest of the time, and now almost certainly the worst contract we have. Getting him off our books would be the single biggest step forward we could make.

Abacus

Juniors
Well the first thing that needs to happen with Jimmy's cash is saving enough to upgrade Luai if he comes in and kills it
Luai's signed until after 2021. No rush to do anything for the next 12 months with him. If he kills it, upgrade and extend from 2022. Otherwise we're just repeating previous signing errors of early upgrades.

OldPanther

Coach
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/24/maloney-to-leave-panthers-at-end-of-2019/

Maloney to leave Panthers at end of 2019

James Maloney is set to today announce he is leaving the Penrith Panthers and the NRL at the end of the season.

Maloney has inked a three-year deal with Super League club Catalans Dragons, and will move to the south of France at the end of the year.

The 33-year-old still has another year to run on his deal with Penrith, however, the club gave him their blessing to explore an option overseas.

Penrith were more than happy to keep Maloney at the club if he wanted to stay, making room in the salary cap for 2020 after releasing Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Waqa Blake.
However, the veteran playmaker, who has led NSW to back-to-back Origin series wins the past two years, wanted to take his wife and four children overseas and enjoy a change of lifestyle.

The Panthers are yet to make an official announcement.

Rhyno

First Grade
Lol another playing wanting out of Penrith

Will they even be able to field a team next year

Status
Not open for further replies.