What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Bandwagon

Staff member
Of course Bellamy's gonna have his failures as far as individual players go, but they don't seem to last very long at Melbourne and end up stenching up the squads of other clubs pretty quickly.

84 Baby

Referee
Of course Bellamy's gonna have his failures as far as individual players go, but they don't seem to last very long at Melbourne and end up stenching up the squads of other clubs pretty quickly.
But Bellamy is the god of recruitment and superstaring of garbage players? He doesn’t have failures

IFR33K

Coach
He takes risks but they are calculated and he makes sure he has the ability to quickly f**k them off if they aren't up to it.

Many of Bellamy’s signings are risks, but they are low percentage risks. Roberts and rose wouldn’t of been on much anyway. But he sure does have a good record of turning average players into winners. Didn’t he get a front rower out of a couple years retirement and he went on to start the bulk of the season and eventually won a title??? Can’t think of the name.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Many of Bellamy’s signings are risks, but they are low percentage risks. Roberts and rose wouldn’t of been on much anyway. But he sure does have a good record of turning average players into winners. Didn’t he get a front rower out of a couple years retirement and he went on to start the bulk of the season and eventually won a title??? Can’t think of the name.
Norrie???

Bandwagon

Staff member
But Bellamy is the god of recruitment and superstaring of garbage players? He doesn’t have failures

From the outside looking in I'd hazard a guess that the players that don't kick on at the Storm are the ones that don't buy in to what they do and expect within their systems.

Nothing to do with talent or ability, but everything to do with attitude and application. No matter how good a coach, or how influential their culture, there's always gonna be blokes that either don't respond to that, or just don't fit for whatever reason.

I'd also say that Smith would be a large factor in that, we can all take the piss of the merkin, and dislike him for a variety of reasons, but his record of being on the field for 400 plus games, playing in the most demanding position for defensive workload tells me that there is a bloke who applies himself 100% to his training and preparation. You could say he's been lucky with injury, which is undeniably true, however i reckon that would be because he stacks the odds in his favour with his preparation.

hindy111

Post Whore
You'll find Melbourne are strong cause they used to get favouritism towards junior recruits out of QLD. Helped by the NRL.
Unsure if this still happens.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
You'll find Melbourne are strong cause they used to get favouritism towards junior recruits out of QLD. Helped by the NRL.
Unsure if this still happens.
The mighty Norths Devils used to be their feeder club.

Great team, plus I'd put their Devil burger up against a chip roll any day of the week.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Honest question, how long would a bonehead like Taka last at Melbourne??? Edwards lasted 5 years with us with all his BS.

84 Baby

Referee
He takes risks but they are calculated and he makes sure he has the ability to quickly f**k them off if they aren't up to it.
From the outside looking in I'd hazard a guess that the players that don't kick on at the Storm are the ones that don't buy in to what they do and expect within their systems.

Nothing to do with talent or ability, but everything to do with attitude and application. No matter how good a coach, or how influential their culture, there's always gonna be blokes that either don't respond to that, or just don't fit for whatever reason.

I'd also say that Smith would be a large factor in that, we can all take the piss of the merkin, and dislike him for a variety of reasons, but his record of being on the field for 400 plus games, playing in the most demanding position for defensive workload tells me that there is a bloke who applies himself 100% to his training and preparation. You could say he's been lucky with injury, which is undeniably true, however i reckon that would be because he stacks the odds in his favour with his preparation.
I don’t buy into Bellamy being this genius who turns average players into stars. What he has done is set up a culture that minimises poor team performances headlined by having a core bunch of Australian reps that helps mask or limit poor individual performance. It’s largely a plug and play system. His failures aren’t in not making bad players good, but in not getting buy in from those players. And it may be recent bias but a lot of his “failures” seem to be coming more frequent as he starts losing those top line players.

It’s also becoming more of a thing. I think Des is going down same road with Manly

JokerEel

First Grade
I don’t buy into Bellamy being this genius who turns average players into stars. What he has done is set up a culture that minimises poor team performances headlined by having a core bunch of Australian reps that helps mask or limit poor individual performance. It’s largely a plug and play system. His failures aren’t in not making bad players good, but in not getting buy in from those players. And it may be recent bias but a lot of his “failures” seem to be coming more frequent as he starts losing those top line players.

It’s also becoming more of a thing. I think Des is going down same road with Manly

I was of that thinking also until his new crop of players have started to filter through...

Also all the names people have listed as failures are older established players who probably have come from a poor culture on the cheap as a stop gap.

As much as I hate Bellamy and the Storm he has the systems in place to continually bring young players in.

We all thought with Cronk leaving that was it from the Storm then Slater.. With Smith going the big 3 will be gone and the Storm will still be playing Finals footy..

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Honest question, how long would a bonehead like Taka last at Melbourne??? Edwards lasted 5 years with us with all his BS.
Hard to know about Taka. Would he be a better player in a better system? Possibly.

Edwards would have been given a Bellamy 'attitude adjustment' and if he didn't change accordingly he would have been sent packing.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

If factional parties didn’t leak, we probably wouldn’t have needed to keep them either.

If the storm didn’t cheat back in 2006-2009, I doubt they have the success they have had and Bellamy is probably now coaching in QLD cup (not that he can’t coach but he probably doesn’t get a squad to show he can)

I mean there is a good chance smith signs with the titans without cap cheating and Cartwright is the now the “Star” coach not Bellamy:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...h/news-story/e957ce69771fdca55770e6e6ed5bf673

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2008-12-03/titans-turn-focus-on-farah/227244

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If factional parties didn’t leak, we probably wouldn’t have needed to keep them either.

If the storm didn’t cheat back in 2006-2009, I doubt they have the success they have had and Bellamy is probably now coaching in QLD cup (not that he can’t coach but he probably doesn’t get a squad to show he can)

I mean there is a good chance smith signs with the titans without cap cheating and Cartwright is the now the “Star” coach not Bellamy:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...h/news-story/e957ce69771fdca55770e6e6ed5bf673

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2008-12-03/titans-turn-focus-on-farah/227244
I still fail to see what the has to do with the standards of Bellamy and the standards of Arthur and a club like ours. Just more excuses.

And as for Bellamy coaching in the NSW Cup massive lol.

Absolute spuds like Mary are coaching teams atm.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I still fail to see what the has to do with the standards of Bellamy and the standards of Arthur and a club like ours. Just more excuses.

And as for Bellamy coaching in the NSW Cup massive lol.

So how do you think Bellamy wouId have gone if he never had Smith / cooper and slater in their prime and in 2007 he had to rebuild his squad again without the trio?

Yeah he may have succeeded but I suspect he wouId have had to take some chances on “turds” like Taka / KE and be a bit more flexible in his standards / recruitment.

Nearly every GF winner has had to rebuild their squads after their premiership win due to the salary cap, but Bellamy had a bit of help with that.....

And Bellamy coaching QLD cup, is just pointing out he had a massive advantage over all rookie NRL coaches in his early success, that they don’t get. Bellamy was able to be successful by coaching a side cheating the cap. A massive advantage. Without that advantage he may have never had the chance to show he could coach in the NRL.