What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd18: Parra v Manly LIVE GAME DAY thread 21/7/19

He's the attacking player, you can tackle him in the air when he grabs the ball.
It's an interesting point. I don't blame Gutho but I do think that players are generally too eager to get possession of the ball in such situations. And contesting the ball on the last means the odds are heavily stacked against the defending team. The attacking team has nothing to lose.

strider

Post Whore
It's an interesting point. I don't blame Gutho but I do think that players are generally too eager to get possession of the ball in such situations. And contesting the ball on the last means the odds are heavily stacked against the defending team. The attacking team has nothing to lose.
If Gutho didnt go for the ball, everyone here would be ropable

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Which teams do provide good bomb support? And what position do those supporters play? And even more so, do they support against a seemingly nothing bomb from 40m out? Not even Queensland did that. And if you say Rorters/Scum, Latrell and Chambers are (from my own observations) horrendous at it and always brink on giving away penalties.

Edit - AND Gutho did have support, Moses provided an ok block and Trgvkdbvsevic still got around him and caught the ball.

The only way to stop that try legally would have been to allow an at pace Thbfkebevic to catch it cleanly and tackle him as he lands. The only other thing we could have done better is for Moses to have got into better position behind the ball before it was caught to have a chance at tackling him
I did notice on that play Tommy T ran straight past Taka to get to that bomb, we should hardly be surprised it is Taka. Lazy merkin.

84 Baby

Referee
He's the attacking player, you can tackle him in the air when he grabs the ball.
True. Need to save that one for GF though because the NRL will knee jerk a rule change the second one of their stars lands hard after getting tunnelled while attacking ball

JokerEel

First Grade
Until we learn to win the ruck we wont go near a GF..

It's been the same all season watching our players go into a tackle both end up on the players legs on the ground causing them not to be in position for the play the ball..
Manly had 2 - 3 players on the top of our players as soon as they get up they are at marker...

If I can see it shirley everyone else can...

chiefy1

Juniors
We've had one win at an opposing home ground since mid 2017.
Why is the team so mentally weak when they don't have the majority of the support?

Isn't motivation the most important element in a coach's armory ?

Period :grin:

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
True. Need to save that one for GF though because the NRL will knee jerk a rule change the second one of their stars lands hard after getting tunnelled while attacking ball

That's probably putting them in a dangerous position which the referee can then penalise. +

p.s Not sure if it's still in there but it was last time I read the rule book there was a rule that basically said that the ref can issue a penalty at any time if he deems an act of play not within the spirit of the game.

Gronk

Staff member
We've had one win at an opposing home ground since mid 2017.
Why is the team so mentally weak when they don't have the majority of the support?

Isn't motivation the most important element in a coach's armory ?

Period :grin:

Well we couldn't beat an egg in 2018, so that's no surprise. Our away losses this year have been largely against top 8 sides.

Anywho, if a team sneaks into the 8 with say 13 from 26 wins, would it not be likely that 90% of those wins are secured at home games ?

Chiefy, shudder to think that you are compiling stats to prop up your biases ? :thinking:

chiefy1

Juniors
Well we couldn't beat an egg in 2018, so that's no surprise. Our away losses this year have been largely against top 8 sides.

Anywho, if a team sneaks into the 8 with say 13 from 26 wins, would it not be likely that 90% of those wins are secured at home games ?

Chiefy, shudder to think that you are compiling stats to prop up your biases ? :thinking:

I have no biasis and support what the club is doing at the moment especially in our recent diligent signings. Waqa, Sivo, Lane, Jnr & Fergo - all players who have great potential or are near the top & minimal bum signings.
Any head coach will be an expendable commodity now that our future planning is on track.

JokerEel

First Grade

Dont let stats get in the way of a good story!

That's probably putting them in a dangerous position which the referee can then penalise. +

p.s Not sure if it's still in there but it was last time I read the rule book there was a rule that basically said that the ref can issue a penalty at any time if he deems an act of play not within the spirit of the game.
only you and Bill Harrigan know that rule and he chose to pull it out in a Grand Final

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
only you and Bill Harrigan know that rule and he chose to pull it out in a Grand Final

I had a quick look at the 2019 NRL rulebook and there doesn't seem to be anything like I'm suggesting, the only rule that I could find that stated about the "spirit of the game" is this

"Where a dummy half deliberately passes the ball into a defending player caught in and around the ruck who is not actively taking part in the play, such an act will be deemed to be contrary to the true spirit of the game and constitute misconduct under section 15(1)(i) of the Laws of the Game, and a penalty will be awarded against the attacking team."

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/documentation/nrl-laws-and-interpretations-2019-final.pdf