What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 - Cowboys vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 20th July 7:35pm @1300SMILES Stadium

Bobby Moses

Juniors
Watching the replay as I type. Best defensive game from James Roberts I have seen. Nichols a great defender also. Cam Murray such a fantastic tackling technique. Tamalumo the most amazing feet for a big big man. Burnes really strong game also.

Rabbit Stew

Juniors
Watching the replay as I type. Best defensive game from James Roberts I have seen. Nichols a great defender also. Cam Murray such a fantastic tackling technique. Tamalumo the most amazing feet for a big big man. Burnes really strong game also.
I'm pleased to see someone noticing what Nicholls does - he does not have the bulk or attacking penetration of some of the others in the prop rotation but more than makes up for it with his defence around the ruck. Unfortunately, that work sometimes goes unnoticed when compared to work with the ball. Nicholls did a great job of limiting Taumololo's impact when he was on the field on Saturday

assess5

Juniors
Did anybody actually, physically see the ball touch the try line in the Cowboys second try, I think it was from a bomb but I may be miss remembering.
I didn't see it touch the try line in any of the replays and they didn't go to the definitive camera, so 'did anybody see the ball get grounded on the line'?

Did anybody actually, physically see the ball touch the try line in the Cowboys second try, I think it was from a bomb but I may be miss remembering.
I didn't see it touch the try line in any of the replays and they didn't go to the definitive camera, so 'did anybody see the ball get grounded on the line'?

It was dodgy at best.

My understanding is that the on field ref was satisfied that the ball touched the line and only sent it upstairs to make sure that Feldt retained possession all the way through and that is why they never checked the other angles. The on field ref was basically right behind the play so he had a great view. But yeah, from every angle I watched, it looked short by a few centimetres.

Again, it begs the question... If they send a call upstairs, then why not check everything?

assess5

Juniors
It was dodgy at best.

My understanding is that the on field ref was satisfied that the ball touched the line and only sent it upstairs to make sure that Feldt retained possession all the way through and that is why they never checked the other angles. The on field ref was basically right behind the play so he had a great view. But yeah, from every angle I watched, it looked short by a few centimetres.

Again, it begs the question... If they send a call upstairs, then why not check everything?

Why did they not go to the one camera angle that would have shown the try line, from the other side of the posts than the side they did show which view was obstructed by the bodies of the two goes going for the ball, was it Feldt and Campbell Graham, maybe ?

Because I was pretty satisfied that it didn't touch the try line.

Why did they not go to the one camera angle that would have shown the try line, from the other side of the posts than the side they did show which view was obstructed by the bodies of the two goes going for the ball, was it Feldt and Campbell Graham, maybe ?

No idea. I guess the on field ref was satisfied the ball touched the line but it would have taken 10 seconds to look at one more camera angle.

Still not as bad as the Manly try from a blatant knock on that was missed the week before though I guess. At least on this occasion the decision actually went to the video and they looked at some angles. Even if they missed the important one.

Maybe this week we'll actually see a correct call made after looking at all the evidence... Maybe.

assess5

Juniors
No idea. I guess the on field ref was satisfied the ball touched the line but it would have taken 10 seconds to look at one more camera angle.

Still not as bad as the Manly try from a blatant knock on that was missed the week before though I guess. At least on this occasion the decision actually went to the video and they looked at some angles. Even if they missed the important one.

Maybe this week we'll actually see a correct call made after looking at all the evidence... Maybe.

Yep, I thought two of those Manly try's were iffy and warranted at least a look from the video ref, what do you do, no wonder people no longer seem interested in the game. At golf we always discussed each game, now no one gives a stuff.

That same ref in the Cowboy game missed a blatant knock on from the Cowboy fullback as well.

Travitoh

First Grade

The Bunker has multiple screens showing all the different angles in unison. TV only shows selected angles that are in sync with The Bunker.

assess5

Juniors
The Bunker has multiple screens showing all the different angles in unison. TV only shows selected angles that are in sync with The Bunker.

'sync with The Bunker'.[/QUOTE]'
Are you saying we get to see views that support the view that whoever is sitting in the bunker has?

Is that what you are stating?

Travitoh

First Grade
'sync with The Bunker'.
'
Are you saying we get to see views that support the view that whoever is sitting in the bunker has?

Is that what you are stating?

There are 57 screens in The Bunker showing different angles on each one. We only get shown one of those angles at the selection of Fox/Nine.

The timing of the video's are all in sync. If The Bunker rewinds video, the footage we are shown rewinds.

Just because tv is showing a goal line angle, doesn't mean that the video ref is looking at the screen with the same angle. Only the same moment eg, the ball being grounded.

assess5

Juniors
There are 57 screens in The Bunker showing different angles on each one. We only get shown one of those angles at the selection of Fox/Nine.

The timing of the video's are all in sync. If The Bunker rewinds video, the footage we are shown rewinds.

Just because tv is showing a goal line angle, doesn't mean that the video ref is looking at the screen with the same angle. Only the same moment eg, the ball being grounded.

That's really really interesting. I just watched a thirty minute replay of the game, just the hi lights.
On Fox sports.
When Feldt is awarded the try, we don't get to see a camera angle looking across from what a viewer would see as the left hand side. We do, however, get a glimpse from the right hand side, about three camera frames, and you get to see under the bodies of Murray and Feldt just before they hit the ground, both bodies are about two
inches above the ground, and the ball is forced an inch maybe two, short before the bodies hit the ground and obscure the view. Now, as everybody agrees, well nobody's argued, we don't get to see an angle from the left hand side, which would settle the matter.

In the second half Gagai scores a try from a lucky Reynolds kick that sits up in the filed of play, and we DO get a very clear view from the left hand side that shows right down the try line, even though Gagai grounds the ball maybe two metres in the in goal area. We all get to see very clearly straight down the try line, from the left hand side. I have it all recorded and watched it, slowed down, a few times.

So, with all those camera views that the bunker has it must be very easy to show us, the paying public, a clear view of what occurred, not hard, just the ball touching the try line, that's all. I mean, that's what the bunkers there for, to clarify for us, the dumb public, what has happened

So, what's going on?

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
That's really really interesting. I just watched a thirty minute replay of the game, just the hi lights.
On Fox sports.
When Feldt is awarded the try, we don't get to see a camera angle looking across from what a viewer would see as the left hand side. We do, however, get a glimpse from the right hand side, about three camera frames, and you get to see under the bodies of Murray and Feldt just before they hit the ground, both bodies are about two
inches above the ground, and the ball is forced an inch maybe two, short before the bodies hit the ground and obscure the view. Now, as everybody agrees, well nobody's argued, we don't get to see an angle from the left hand side, which would settle the matter.

In the second half Gagai scores a try from a lucky Reynolds kick that sits up in the filed of play, and we DO get a very clear view from the left hand side that shows right down the try line, even though Gagai grounds the ball maybe two metres in the in goal area. We all get to see very clearly straight down the try line, from the left hand side. I have it all recorded and watched it, slowed down, a few times.

So, with all those camera views that the bunker has it must be very easy to show us, the paying public, a clear view of what occurred, not hard, just the ball touching the try line, that's all. I mean, that's what the bunkers there for, to clarify for us, the dumb public, what has happened

So, what's going on?

It's a question better directed to the broadcaster. They're the one's who decide what angles we see at home.

I haven't seen any of the game so can only go off what you're describing but if it's been sent upstairs as a try, then benefit of the doubt reverts back to the on field decision.
You're asking if the ball got to the line or not but because there is no proof that the ball didn't get to the line, then the decision can't/shouldn't be overturned.
If it were sent up as no try, then The Bunker would need to be certain that the ball did touch the line, with any doubt reverting to the on field decision of no try.

Does that make sense? It's the best description i can give from how i understand it works.

assess5

Juniors
It's a question better directed to the broadcaster. They're the one's who decide what angles we see at home.

I haven't seen any of the game so can only go off what you're describing but if it's been sent upstairs as a try, then benefit of the doubt reverts back to the on field decision.
You're asking if the ball got to the line or not but because there is no proof that the ball didn't get to the line, then the decision can't/shouldn't be overturned.
If it were sent up as no try, then The Bunker would need to be certain that the ball did touch the line, with any doubt reverting to the on field decision of no try.

Does that make sense? It's the best description i can give from how i understand it works.

I understand the rules of the game and the referees' interpretations of try/no try and its effect on the bunkers decision, that is 'for the bunker to overturn a decision a replay must show clear evidence'/. I am not disputing that at all.

What I am saying is - each and every time a situation i.e. is it a try or no try, arises, the viewer, that's me and everybody else watching on tv gets to see the reason for the allowing of or the disallowing of a try.

On Saturday night we, the viewers, didn't get to see the ball either on the try line or places ion the in goal.

I started this discussion, no 24 with 'Did anybody actually, physically see the ball touch the try line'. That's all I asked, no one has put up their hand and said yes, I saw the ball grounded. I have watched several replays and still not seen the grounding. Again I ask 'why'.

Thank you for attempting to clarify things for me, but, your not having seen the game is a hindrance to your being able to assistance me. Thank you for your efforts anyway.

I can only think that no one witnessed the grounding.

p.s. don't know why I am now in italics but it does look cool.

Latest posts