What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilkenny

Coach
Recruitment from outside the club is an important strategy towards improving the makeup of the side and ultimately bring greater success.

Whatever money is available to spend on recruitment must be spent to substantially improve the playing roster while at the same time maintaining the integrity of our salary cap.

I’m sorry but suggestions from some to bring in the likes of Josh Reynolds, Api Koroisau et etc is just silly stuff as they do not improve on what we already have and in most aspects would be detrimental to our roster overall.

We do not have a roster capable of winning a premiership so where are the positions in which we need to get us there. From my perspective it is obvious in that we need another top quality outside back, front rower and maybe another utility who can cover a range of positions.

Going forward to 2020 I think our spine is shaping up really well given four fullbacks in Edwards, Laurie, Aekins and Staines. The halves are not to shabby in Cleary, Laurie, Blore, Laui, Burton, Hands & May. Everyone is talking about our woes in the hooker/dummy halve role but I don’t see a massive problem given we have Egan, May and Kenny to cover the hooker role with other options as well including potentially the best of all in Maurice Trindall if he gets his shit together.

If we have somewhere between 500K -800K to spend I would bring in another front rower and outside back other than that I think we have great depth and given a decent run with injury and a not being screwed over by the NRL we have the foundations to really compete for the ultimate prize.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
We need additional depth in the front row. I know we have Lenui coming thru and Jack Hetherington is still at the club but for a modest outlay I would be looking at someone like Daniel Alvaro from the Eels. There player of the year in 2018. Will turn 27 during 2020 and is generally when front rowers are at there peak. He is off contract at the Eels and may find it difficult to get a new deal given they have little money to play with. For mine he is the ideal type of player we should be looking at.
He wouldn't come here for a depth position. Who drops out of the 17 for you?

betcats

Referee
Recruitment from outside the club is an important strategy towards improving the makeup of the side and ultimately bring greater success.

Whatever money is available to spend on recruitment must be spent to substantially improve the playing roster while at the same time maintaining the integrity of our salary cap.

I’m sorry but suggestions from some to bring in the likes of Josh Reynolds, Api Koroisau et etc is just silly stuff as they do not improve on what we already have and in most aspects would be detrimental to our roster overall.

We do not have a roster capable of winning a premiership so where are the positions in which we need to get us there. From my perspective it is obvious in that we need another top quality outside back, front rower and maybe another utility who can cover a range of positions.

Going forward to 2020 I think our spine is shaping up really well given four fullbacks in Edwards, Laurie, Aekins and Staines. The halves are not to shabby in Cleary, Laurie, Blore, Laui, Burton, Hands & May. Everyone is talking about our woes in the hooker/dummy halve role but I don’t see a massive problem given we have Egan, May and Kenny to cover the hooker role with other options as well including potentially the best of all in Maurice Trindall if he gets his shit together.

If we have somewhere between 500K -800K to spend I would bring in another front rower and outside back other than that I think we have great depth and given a decent run with injury and a not being screwed over by the NRL we have the foundations to really compete for the ultimate prize.

Average age of next years spine will be 22 or 23 with the depth players all being younger except possibly May if he doesn’t go to jail. I think Reynolds is a great back up at good price. API would be good too., relying on a bunch young guys in the spine with zero proven depth behind them isn’t a good idea imo.

Abacus

Juniors

Who would you target for:
top quality outside back, front rower and maybe another utility who can cover a range of positions.

franklin2323

Immortal
Average age of next years spine will be 22 or 23 with the depth players all being younger except possibly May if he doesn’t go to jail. I think Reynolds is a great back up at good price. API would be good too., relying on a bunch young guys in the spine with zero proven depth behind them isn’t a good idea imo.

Which is the issue I see. We need a squad of 30 that can play come round 1. A few of those guys mentioned likely won't be so we need someone so we don't need to rush them.

For me much better having those guys in Development deals and can still play them after June 30

mxlegend99

Referee
If nothing else we should be looking at a decent established centre to replace Whare. Mansour has atleast recaptured some form and while I think we could do better than him. He still offers something with the ball.

I would like to see us go for Curtis Scott to replace Whare. I think he could be a cheap guy that offers alot just as Whare was when we got him.

I also wish we had thrown some cash at George Burgess after his suspension. I think we could have gotten him for like $350k. He's a grub on the field. But he's a huge upgrade over Leota and RCG in current form.

franklin2323

Immortal
If nothing else we should be looking at a decent established centre to replace Whare. Mansour has atleast recaptured some form and while I think we could do better than him. He still offers something with the ball.

I would like to see us go for Curtis Scott to replace Whare. I think he could be a cheap guy that offers alot just as Whare was when we got him.

I also wish we had thrown some cash at George Burgess after his suspension. I think we could have gotten him for like $350k. He's a grub on the field. But he's a huge upgrade over Leota and RCG in current form.

It will be very rare that To'o and Naden play so well for almost 2 seasons they don't need to be dropped. Young guys often need a stint back down. Whare misses a handful of games each year. So an established centre is a wise buy

martielang

Bench

Scott isn't a bad shout tbh. Seems like he might be on the outer but you'd think he'd have a few clubs after him.

kinghippo

Juniors
There are not many good established centres out there. Whare should be our depth centre next year, give Jed or another junior a chance.
Curtis Scott could be a good option if he has got himself sorted.

betcats

Referee
In todays game wingers are far more valuable than centres. Whare has been solid enough that we can wait on Crichton or someone else to develop plus its a position certain player can convert to. We have to spend our money wisely I don't think centre in the best choice. Use it on the spine in some way, perhaps a forward but we have a number of highly paid forwards, can we afford to spend more on the pack?

franklin2323

Immortal
In todays game wingers are far more valuable than centres. Whare has been solid enough that we can wait on Crichton or someone else to develop plus its a position certain player can convert to. We have to spend our money wisely I don't think centre in the best choice. Use it on the spine in some way, perhaps a forward but we have a number of highly paid forwards, can we afford to spend more on the pack?

I don't think we can spend more on our pack until Tamou is off contract and we know if he is staying or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts