What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

getsmarty

Immortal
Lomax out in blow to St George Illawarra Dragons' hopes of mid-season NRL revival
Dragons Den
r0_232_4533_2791_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Out: Zac Lomax. Picture: Adam McLean
The Dragons injury woes took a new twist on Friday, as centre Zac Lomax was ruled out of Sunday's clash with Manly.

Lomax has sustained a broken thumb and the Dragons announced Lachlan Maranta will come into the team in jersey No.22 as his replacement.

It also raises a huge question of who will kick goals for the Dragons, with Jai Field on the bench, leaving Ben Hunt or Corey Norman as the likely options.

Maranta played 70 games for Brisbane between 2012 and 2016, but hasn't played in the NRL since, joining the Dragons this year after a stint in rugby union.

While Corey Norman returned from a cheekbone injury to steer the Dragons to a 36-12 win over Canterbury, snapping a five game losing streak, the club has struggled with a number of missing personnel this year.

Tyson Frizell and Korbin Sims has spent time on the sidelines, while captain Gareth Widdop will not return from a shoulder injury until at least round 20.

The Dragons said a timeline for Lomax's return is yet to be confirmed.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...w-to-dragons-hopes-of-mid-season-nrl-revival/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons centre Zac Lomax set to miss four to eight weeks with broken thumb
Written By Troy Whittaker
@troywhittaker98

St. George-Illawarra Dragons
St George Illawarra centre Zac Lomax is likely to be sidelined for at least a month after the Dragons on Friday revealed the 19-year-old has sustained a broken thumb.

According to the NRL Physio, Lomax will miss around four to eight weeks depending on the severity of his break.

Zac Lomax has been ruled out for the Dragons this weekend with a broken thumb. Tough to accelerate return to play from a broken thumb due to importance in hand function + extensive range of movement, usually a 4-8 week return to play. 4 weeks needed for adequate bone healing

- NRL PHYSIO (@nrlphysio) June 14, 2019
Lomax has been scratched from Sunday's clash versus Manly, with the Dragons granted approval from the NRL to bring Lachlan Maranta into their 21-man matchday squad as a replacement.

Maranta, 27, scored 30 tries in 70 games as a winger for the Brisbane Broncos between 2012 and 2016 before briefly joining the Queensland Reds in Super Rugby.

He arrived at St George Illawarra midway through the pre-season and has turned out in the centres for the club's reserve grade team during the year.

Lomax's absence leaves the Dragons sans a regular goal-kicker, with Gareth Widdop (shoulder) and Tim Lafai (ankle) both injured and Jai Field named on the bench.

Halfback Ben Hunt and five-eighth Corey Norman shape as the likely candidates to receive the tee.

The setback to Lomax comes just after the Dragons regained some troops following a disastrous run with injury to begin the season.

Prop Korbin Sims returned from a broken arm two weeks ago, while Norman made an assured comeback following a broken jaw as the Red V broke a five-game losing streak against Canterbury last Monday.

With Lomax out and fellow centre Lafai not due back until round 16, Maranta could string multiple NRL games together as a stopgap option.

Dumped winger Jordan Pereira may be in line for an NRL recall if coach Paul McGregor chooses to shuffle his backline.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...lomax-broken-thumb/17i18sa5yxufe1rkpsvxbwpqio

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Disappointed for the kid after he would have take a lot of confidence out of last weeks win kicking 6 from 6 and scoring a try as well as cementing his spot in the centres......but apart from that not kidding myself about any run up the ladder Im afraid the horse bolted weeks ago.....another fruitless season as per usual

rednwhites

Juniors
Still waiting for this guy to really have his breakout game. Out of position and back for injury, might be expecting a bit much, but much like waiting for the Dragons to turn it around, this guy is not really delivering on his promise.

getsmarty

Immortal
Still waiting for this guy to really have his breakout game. Out of position and back for injury, might be expecting a bit much, but much like waiting for the Dragons to turn it around, this guy is not really delivering on his promise.

McGregor has played him as
1/,. Middle Forward
2/. Right Centre
3/. Fullback
4/. Right Wing
5/. Left wing

What do expect when he is played in 5 different positions by the idiot coach........:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

j0nesy

Bench
Best centre in the club, but let's play him every where else.
Spot on. Should be locked in at either right or left centre for at least half a season. It’s not like Lafai or Aitken are setting the world on fire. In fact Lafai had a shocker against Souths.

I’m pretty sure I read that right centre is his preference, or fullback. But everyone wants to play fullback because of the cash involved. Straight swap next week Lomax for Lafai. With Rav or Pereira (if he’s fit) to the wing.

j0nesy

Bench
Lomax wasn’t the worst out there last night. Can’t expect too much of a 19yo, playing out of position, against the 2nd placed team after being out injured for 6 weeks. Tim Lafai who was picked ahead of him at left centre and is far more experienced had another shocker.

rasaint

Juniors
Zac Lomax had his 1st game back after 5weeks. Carries ‘big wraps’. I have always found him to be unremarkable. In other words an OK player. Handled comfortably by Souths last night. Very good goal kicker. Has a nice sharp step but predictable now. Can anyone point me to time in 1st grade where he has beat his opposite and/or broken the defence line and raced away etc.
The despised (by most) Euan Aiken has done that @ number of times over the years, including hitting the gap last night and just stopped short after a long fast run. Aiken effectively tackled his opposite in the last play last night but only some inexperience from young Saab caused the try. I’m not Aiken fan).

Blake Lawrie is the other talked up player. He is courageous and gives it all but mostly stopped easily during his carries. No offload. Does play the ball quickly. Tackles OK but not powerfully.

smi962

First Grade
Zac Lomax had his 1st game back after 5weeks. Carries ‘big wraps’. I have always found him to be unremarkable. In other words an OK player. Handled comfortably by Souths last night. Very good goal kicker. Has a nice sharp step but predictable now. Can anyone point me to time in 1st grade where he has beat his opposite and/or broken the defence line and raced away etc.
The despised (by most) Euan Aiken has done that @ number of times over the years, including hitting the gap last night and just stopped short after a long fast run. Aiken effectively tackled his opposite in the last play last night but only some inexperience from young Saab caused the try. I’m not Aiken fan).

Blake Lawrie is the other talked up player. He is courageous and gives it all but mostly stopped easily during his carries. No offload. Does play the ball quickly. Tackles OK but not powerfully.

Aitken was very good last night. Lomax is only 19 and has a higher ceiling than our current centres imo; I think people are saying play him with a view to the future (like Saab). He has been solid in first grade but agree hasn’t set the world on fire. I think he is already superior to both our other centres defensively.

getsmarty

Immortal
Aitken was very good last night. Lomax is only 19 and has a higher ceiling than our current centres imo; I think people are saying play him with a view to the future (like Saab). He has been solid in first grade but agree hasn’t set the world on fire. I think he is already superior to both our other centres defensively.

How can Lomax set the "world on fire " when he has played 5 different positions so far this year ?...

It's his 1st full year in grade.....

Play aitken in 5 different positions and see what you get............

Pick him at either right Centre or fullback and leave him there....of course this will not happen because the coach juggles players constantly except for his favourites....

Dragonsamy

Bench
How can Lomax set the "world on fire " when he has played 5 different positions so far this year ?...

It's his 1st full year in grade.....

Play aitken in 5 different positions and see what you get............

Pick him at either right Centre or fullback and leave him there....of course this will not happen because the coach juggles players constantly except for his favourites....

100% Smarty
Lomax is being used like Kurt Mann was here.
And look what happened to him.
Leave him in the centres for the rest of the year and see how he goes.
It is his spot.

Latest posts